New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. MyRedStrom

MyRedStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good point. I should have mentioned that I cut down the edges and took quite a bit off the sides up front. (I didn’t save those pieces for the picture.)
  2. MyRedStrom

MyRedStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found a tool that can reach the rebound adjustment screw on the bottom of the shock? I’d like to add some damping but that bugger is really blocked by the swingarm.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have access to bike to check had been forcefully separated for a year now.. have you tried a bit with a small ratchet or flat wrench?
  4. MyRedStrom

MyRedStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, CP - my only ratchets are too thick. Was hoping for some validation before buying another tool (not that I mind buying tools!)
    cyclopathic likes this.
  5. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Good question MyRedStrom. I've never gone looking for the rebound adjustment. Mines on the chain side, opposite to what the manual has it pictured. Only way I can see is with a couple of 90 degree blade screwdrivers with the blade angle off set 45 degrees to each other.
  6. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know some of you can't get to their sd because of covid.... But here's mine.
    Just took her for the local offroad ride.

Nothing to crazy. But if have a 70km loop that has some really nice single and double tracks, and even comes with a "playground" with hillclimbs and berm action.

Didn't do the playground today, as i wasn't really feeling it, and just wanted to take it easy and enjoy my local area where i grew up.

Came across two fallen trees ( had a storm few days ago) and the roots left a ditch and whooped one big clump of mud and clay up! IMG_20201025_154631.jpg IMG_20201025_161533.jpg
    R.E.H, cyclopathic, simmons1 and 3 others like this.
  7. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures MotoSly.
    MotoSly likes this.
  8. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question, on the left side ( above the gear shifter). Is a white canister thingy. What is that for? Or, what is on there?
  9. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Radiator coolant over flow bottle.
    MotoSly likes this.
  10. MyRedStrom

MyRedStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone gotten the Arrow ECU remap and TPS sensor reset done at a *US* dealer? My dealer doesn't know anything about it, but I've seen lots of inmates on this thread getting it done. Can't tell if any of them are in US (I know cyclopathic is, but don't think his bike is.) Just wondering if the ECU remap is unavailable here or my dealer is just uninformed.
  11. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I test rode SMW's in Austin Texas at AF1 they had remapped a few with Arrow exhausts on them, didn't seem like a major deal to them.
    mrsdnf and cyclopathic like this.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    To remap you need to have a program and connector cable; that what I was told by 2 dealers one in SW Virginia (Gearhead junction) and dealer in Osh, Kyrgyzstan. Dave in KG didn't have the programming setup it was on order and IIRC dealer in VA had his personal bike reprogrammed. Give him a call maybe he will be able to help you. I was thinking about bringing my ECU with me back to reprogram but Terry told me about TPS calibration it didn't make any sense it wouldn't work if I put it in his bike.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  13. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those who have had spinning captive nuts in the airbox. That's superglue in the syringe. In Australia, go to chemist amd ask for a fitpack (usually purchased by drug users)
    20201024_185816.jpg 20201024_185757.jpg
    DavAmb, Richarde1605, mrsdnf and 3 others like this.
  14. MyRedStrom

MyRedStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks afordableperformance and cyclopathic. I’ve passed this on to my dealer and he’s checking with the new US importer and also with Motoman. Hoping he comes up with the right info.

In case any Utahns are on lurking here, I bought my Superdual T at Power House Powersports in Pleasant Grove. Breyer is main guy to talk to about SWM. They’ve sold a few others so if you’re one of the buyers and want to compare notes or get together for a ride, let me know.

Here’s my T up on Lightning Ridge near Hanna. IMG_2378.jpg
    CapeG650X, MotoSly, mrsdnf and 2 others like this.
  15. MyRedStrom

MyRedStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a close call today. My 12.9-grade bolts just arrived to replace the problematic subframe ones. When I started in to replace them, I found the long top bolt had already backed out over an inch. The nut was gone and the only thing that kept it from backing out farther was the tank.
    IMG_2412.jpg

Bolt and nut both replaced.

So, thanks to everyone in the thread for recommending checking/replacing those bolts.

Also today I replaced my front sprocket with a 14-tooth and the rear with a 42. Was still able to get the original chain back on with more than enough slack. Going riding tomorrow and looking forward to having a “crawl mode”.
    DavAmb, MotoSly and mrsdnf like this.
  16. MM2020

MM2020 n00b

Oddometer:
    Glad you caught it. Sneaky thing! I better take care of mine too. I’m still waiting for a replacement fuel level sensor. Two weeks in and apparently one has been ordered from the new Importer. I’m told it has been redesigned too, which would be a good thing. Lots of nice sunny fall days ticking by...
    I went up to a 42 in the rear on my SDX. The difference is subtle—definitely not a crawl mode—but it makes getting off the line easier with less clutch work needed. Curious to hear how you are liking the gearing change.
  17. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    @ MyRedStrom. That was to close for comfort. Lucky you found it before any damage occurred.
    @ MM2020. I'd be interested to here if there is any difference to the way the new sender works compared to the old. I'd recommend from experience replacing the gasket at the same time.
  18. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just the run the oil type/spec that the manufacturer recommends, then your good...
  19. MM2020

MM2020 n00b

Oddometer:
    It should come with a new gasket (and washers). I’ll definitely use it! Will report back on how it’s working.
  20. MyRedStrom

MyRedStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    42 teeth in back with 14 in front felt fantastic. Somehow it matched up the shift points with where I like to make the shifts. 6000rpm at 75mph instead of 5000rpm; lots more pep. Also, I could keep it in 2nd through most technical stuff and still have 1st gear in reserve if I had to slow down - with much less slipping the clutch. Now if I can just get the ECU re-map done I think it will be perfect!

More loose bolts. Two of the bolts that hold the rack were MIA after my ride today. I may have to start buying thread locker by the barrel!
    MotoSly, MM2020 and mrsdnf like this.