New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is great!! I will check it today.

Thnx for the great guide, and taking your time for me!

I will keep you updated!
    mrsdnf likes this.
  2. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, MotoSly! Curious to see how you did it.
    MotoSly likes this.
  3. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:

Here you go, it's not the beste video and shot it 15 minutes ago.
  4. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dude, you absolutely rock! Thank you so much for putting this together. I also thought about removing the triple clamp instead of detaching the clutch line from the cylinder, but refilling and bleeding the hydraulic fluid is probably still easier than dealing with the triple clamp (which I have never done, so not sure how involved that is).
    I’ll get on it and might ask if any questions come up along the way. And btw, your English is infinitely better than my Dutch!
    MotoSly likes this.
  5. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No problem at all!
    It's an easy fix, if you have any questions, just contact me!
    MM2020 likes this.
  6. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:

Just wanted to say thnx, the problem is fixed and it was an easy fix! thnx for the tutorial!
    cyclopathic and mrsdnf like this.
  7. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Only to happy to help MotoSly. It's interesting that your bike had the same issue.
    MotoSly likes this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got impression that 50% of this bike problems are due to loose screws. Keep loctite ready
    DavAmb, mrsdnf, MM2020 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I noticed when I had my sons SWM apart is that the subframe weighs heaps. The Givi racks don't help. I think this whole subframe bolt issue exists because they've taken a mounting idea that worked fine for a light weight alloy subframe on the enduro version, and then started hanging more and more weight off the back. If I use my workshop hydraulic table jack under the Superdual it lifts off the floor front wheel first no matter how far I try to shift the weight. It's like the weight distribution is 60% rear and 40% front.

I have 2 x M10 bolts on the lower subframe mount points holding it together now. Seems to be solid as a rock. If these break it's going to require a major redesign, which wont be legal. Modifying the frame here is an automatic fail. I've pushed the envelope with the M10 holes.

I suppose the most disappointing aspect is that this thing has been very carefully treated, and my old DR has been abused in every way possible. The DR just keeps going, the SWM fails to even start a weekend trip because I find last minute issues with things that simply shouldn't be issues in this day and age. My son regards the Superdual as a mistake now. The fact I gave my seal of approval is just another of those things he holds against me. It's my fault by default.

About 20 minutes back I was staring at an old Honda 650 frame (which survived intact despite the bike being cartwheeled off a mountain by an old Army friend of mine), and casting glances back at the SWMs engine, then at other parts laying around the workshop. An XR650 with a fuel injected Husky engine and KTM suspension....hmmmm...it has a kind of maniacal genius to it.

I was looking for a 300 dirt bike to adventurise...and now it definitely it wont be an SWM. A bit disillusioned at the moment with the Superdual and by extension the brand. Like so many other brands, they came so close....so very close...and they shot themselves in the foot with the odd bit of lazy engineering. Pity.
    mrsdnf, MM2020, Bt10 and 1 other person like this.
  10. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I take it back.. Well not your kindness, but the bike starting.
    Just now i was getting the swm out of the garage, turned the key.. Lights turned on, the couting for 0 to 9... Waited 3 seconds after that and.. Nothing... It's so weird, so i checked all the bolts and fuses. Disconnected the battery and reconnected it, tried to start.. And nothing.. Try again, nothing.... 3rd times a charm?? Yup it fired up. I let it run for about 5 minutes on idle. Turned the bike off, tried again. And.... Nothing... Same problem again. Called work that i am not going to be there on time or at all. And going to try and fix it today. Any suggestions are always welcome!
  11. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Little update, while searching for the starting problem i thought about checking the starter relay.
    Look at all that corrosion on the nuts and washers.
    Going to put some new ones on there and use sandpaper incase there are parts o can't replace.

will keep you updated.
    IMG_20210118_083921.jpg IMG_20210118_083604.jpg IMG_20210118_084242.jpg
    MM2020 likes this.
  12. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well, after cleaning those bolts etc. the bike started right up on first go.
    Let it idle for 2minutes and turned the bike off.

1hour later i come back to get the bike out for a small ride, and it wouldn't start again, had to push the start button 3 times before it did anything.

Best to get the bike to a garage and let someone else do it, cause i have no idea wtf is happening.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine an AJP PR7 owner had fuel pump replaced under warranty; apparently it was not giving enough pressure. Don't think it's your problem but worth checking.

What gas are you using, 87? maybe it will do better with other brand premium. Depending on what was put in the tank there was a variation on how eager engine was to start. IMO stock fuelling is rich if bike did start right away it foul plugs and make it hard.

Are your valves adjusted? Is your battery in good condition? No prob with charging? Have you checked voltage at starter while cranking?

If you get someone to work get a good mech otherwise it could be an expensive waste of time.
    Hipster and MM2020 like this.
  14. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thnx for the advice, i always put in 98 so that's not an issue.

Also the fuelpump always works, but yhere has to be some problem between the startebutton and the starter motor. Just dropped the bike of at my local enduro/adv shop where i always go to.
    I have faith in their knowledge, will keep you all updated when i know more!
    cyclopathic and MM2020 like this.
  15. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bugger. No good that its not fixed. I have jumper cables I use to bypass relays and switches when I was trying to find the issue. Maybe its the starter switch itself?
    MotoSly likes this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Makes me wonder if there's corrosion on pushbutton contacts. The switch for fog lights will definitely corrode, used exactly the same on previous bike for ABS cut off

EDIT:

And you don't have white smoke coming from pipes when you start? That usually happens when you get blown head gasket
    MotoSly likes this.
  17. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the bike back already!!

So here's the verdict :

The wire from the clutch got split.. So my bike always thought my clutch wasn't pulled back to start.. They fixed it after 2 hours of searching, they also gave me a new key because "just in case".

They first had the key made and than they saq the cable, the key only cost 10euro, so no biggie...

Total 120euro. Can't complain, and they gavr me a free balaclava!
    cyclopathic, MM2020 and mrsdnf like this.
  18. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update MotoSly. I'm glad I had bypassed the clutch and side stand cut outs so shouldn't have that problem.
    MotoSly likes this.
  19. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Glad it got sorted out without breaking the bank! Was the cable damaged near the clutch lever? With all my stretching and moving cables around when installing the 2 inch bar risers, which you have too, I should probably take a mental note here!
    MotoSly likes this.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's nice to have a competent mech you can rely on.

I had a ghost start problem on my X-Country, turned out the pin on kickstand switch sheared (BMW has a weird kickstand switch) and would randomly not engage.. couldn't figure out until it failed completely.
    mrsdnf, MotoSly and MM2020 like this.