New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Checkmate3

Checkmate3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,
    I'm an about-to-be-Superdual X owner.
    I live in the top part of Australia and I'm flying down to the bottom of the country to take possession of a near new bike this week. The 3000klm ride home should get me well acquainted with the new steed!
    I have a question for those who are familiar with the machine and it's this:

Does anyone know what parameters the CEL monitors?

I notice that the fairly basic instrument arrangement does not include coolant temperature nor is there an oil pressure light. Pretty much all of the bikes I've ridden over the years have had both of these vital indicators, even my 12 year old KLR. If they are included in the CEL, okay, though I'd be happier with a conventional coolant temperature indication.

All inputs gratefully received.
    TIA,
    iddy
  2. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's what i thought till i got the verniers on them. Weights? fuel capacity? fork diameter? the Italians seem to think near enough is good enough for their advertising material.
  3. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    The ECU light comes on, not sure if its low coolant or overheating.
  4. Checkmate3

Checkmate3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks mrsdnf,
    I'm guessing that low oil pressure would trigger it too but it would be nice to have a definitive answer.

iddy
  5. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just sent my dealer a question on what SKF seals fit the Fastace fork.
    He replied that there is 45mm and 43mm forks in Fastace. Personally I cannot confirm this.

45mm Fastace forks SKF-KITG-45M
    43mm Fastace forks SKF-KITB-43S

I'd check sizes before trusting my information here.
  6. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was looking for options and reading through a local motorcycle suspension shops comments on the SWM the other day, and they say that most of the low speed dampening in the forks is friction in the seals. That using a better seal results in less low speed dampening.

I started experimenting with oil weights in the front end on the Fastace forks.

I tried a fresh batch of 5 weight....didn't much like the under damped feel. Went for a 7.5 and it feels better, but doesn't like bigger hits. So I kind of hit a wall there, there's not much else you can do aside from pointlessly play with the clickers (I swear they're decorative).

So now I have a set of KTM forks to play with. The top is 54mm same as the SWM, but the bottom triple is 60mm and the SWM has 58mm.

I may well be able to get the KTM triples to work....or...I have a lathe and milling machine. MWAHAHAHA.

Trouble is I'll probably have to restrict the travel on them, as the son is a short ass.

One problem at a time.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  7. CapeG650X

Oddometer:
    07 TE250 forks in my RS slotted straight in but couldn't use std Brembo with 300mm disc (not without expensive machining). TE630 etc should also do the trick? The SD in the pic also has 7.5 fork oil and he's now quite happy, not sure what air gap he went with? 440023181.jpg
    MotoSly likes this.
  8. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That 18L Fuel tank myth.....

Ok let's get this straight once and for all!!
    Everywhere i see info about the SD they talk about the 18L tank.
    I even read it here : https://overlandmag.com/features/swm-superdual-x-review/ , he did "a healthy 250Miles on one tank".

HOW?????? when i am on reserve and fuel up, i get a max of 10 to 11 Liters from the fuel pump.
    I also don't even get to 250KM ( let alone 250 Miles as that person says).

Or is my reserve 7Liter???

In other words, how many km/Miles can you guys do with a full tank, and how much Liter goes in there?
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The most I ever put in the tank was 14L. I think even if the tank is 17L you will never get it out due to pump location, unless you run out of fuel going downhill
    MotoSly likes this.
  10. CapeG650X

Oddometer:
    He said with the economy he recorded he would get a healthy 250miles. I doubt a journo used a whole tank and ran the bike dry. I've only ever managed 17ltrs in mine (i expect with the fuel pump etc removed its technically an 18ltr tank?) Ive regularly gotten 22kpl on general (gentle) rides, but when having fun i work on about 20kpl and 16ltrs usable fuel (to be safe). So i'd be worried about doing any more than 320+kms on a tank.
    mrsdnf and MotoSly like this.
  11. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are indeed some good points.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only saw 250mi once; it usually starts skipping somewhere between 210mi and 230mi mark (335-370km). The worse was ~150mi, that's cruising at 90-100mph (~150kph) through desert
    MotoSly and mrsdnf like this.
  13. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive got two standard tanks. Both vary in capacity. One tank l can cram 17 litres in, the other about 16 litres. Have to agree with cyclipathic on range. Again it all depends on the right wrist and terrain.
    Suncoaster and cyclopathic like this.
  14. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Edit. I should add I also agree with CapeG650X as well. I get close to identical mileage figures.
  15. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm.. i am lucky when i get 250KM out of a full tank....
    And i don't have a heavy wrist at all. And i don't do highways.
  16. amol

amol Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi guys,
    I am considering replacing my F650GS twin with another bike. The main consideration this time around is that I would like to do a trip down to South America from California next year. That will give me a year+ to get familiar with a bike and work out the kinks.

Towards that end, I'd really like the bike to
    1. Be lighter than the 500lb pigs that the GSes have become (much as I wouldn't mind owning another one if I was sticking to my usual riding in the States).
    2. Be easy to do most of the maintenance myself ( I don't do much right now, but am planning to learn over the year) on the road.
    3. Part of 2 is also that I want to avoid all the new electronic geegaws that adv bikes are loaded with now.
    I've basically narrowed my search down to the SWM SuperDual (pending a test ride to see if my 30" inseam can handle it) or the RE Himalayan. I would like more power than the Himalayan simply because I'll still be riding locally, with lots of highways to get anywhere for the next year or so. Other than that it seems to be an easy bike to take care of and there are dealer networks all the way down from Central to South America in case I get in a real jam and have to order parts.

All of that to give some context to my questions, which are :

1. Are there any exotic maintenance issues with the SuperDual or is it a pretty simple bike to maintain ?
    2. What is the situation for the SuperDual when it comes to parts availability ? Especially in Central/South America if anyone knows.

I can carry some stuff myself, but it would be nice to know that parts are not going to be impossible to get on the continent. If I understand correctly, the engine and frame are from the Husky TE630, but that bike has been off the market for years and I would guess the parts supply has dried up.

The importer partner for SA listed on SWM's site doesn't even list them as on its own website, so I'm wondering if they've withdrawn from the markets down there.

thanks.
  17. [Savior]

[Savior] Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good Morning! (9am here)

As I am going to pick up my SD from the dealer in about 5 hours, I'm not exactly familiar with the bike. But I did as much research as possible before buying an "exotic" bike like the SWM.

Problems that are common on the Superdual 650 T/X:
    • Oil strainer on right side has to be replaced because it can rip and damage your engine (factory recall)
    • Some part of the hydraulic clutch has been replaced (factory recall)
    • Gastank leaking - seals need to be replaced (factory recall)
    • Bolts of subframe are known to become loose on some bikes. Also known, has been checked on mine (factory recall)
    The bike also has fairly short maintenance intervalls compared to other thumper dual sport bikes e.g. 690KTM/701Husky (10k oil, valves) or my CRF250 (12k oil and 24k valves...). You need to check valves and replace oil every 5000kms on the SD.
    Other than that, the engine apparently has proven to be a solid companion and quite a lot of people have put a good amount of km's on them on very rural roads. So it can't be that finicky :)
    A big + that speaks for the SMW is it's pricepoint. Here in Europe you can get a fully equipped SMW for under 6000€ that is barely used. Good luck finding a KTM for that price - put 3k on top and try again:lol2

Concerning parts in North and South America, I don't really know about the situation there. Evolutionbike is an italian store where you can find parts by their part number. Same goes with powerhousemotorcycles - an australian store.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oil strainer had been recalled and the bikes which made to US have the improved part. Same with tank a few leaked on earlier bikes; supposedly fixed mine haven't had any issues.

Lower subframe bolts are weak, mine both fructured and were replaced at 11k. Same with bolts holding rear rack rack had been welded multiple times.

Many parts kept same numbers asvTE-630, and should be available from KTM/husqvarna dealer. The parts themselves are mostly common from euro/italian bikes from mid-90 to early 2000s, for example 1st oil filter mech sold me from his Ducati, and next batch I bought from Piaggio dealer in Greece. Brake pads are the same size as 2010 690. Problem in many cases not finding the part but figuring out cross-reference #.

As for parts in South America you will have problem regardless don't think they stock KLR or XR parts either.

For other deficiencies I particularly disliked kickstand it is located too close to center line which makes parking loaded bike difficult on everything but flat surface. There are also some ground bolts which may need tighten, the one behind airbox can cause dashboard reset, and there was an issue with starter and stator.. IIRC..

I would also relocate fog lights out of the way, they will get damaged at first tip over. Reservoir seal on clutch leaked and capacity is small you might wanna keep an eye on it and top off with ATF or hydraulic oil.
  19. amol

amol Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went by my local motorcycle repair shop yesterday. They were not familiar with the bike, which was expected. I explained the Husky lineage and they guy said they could probably work on it if needed, BUT if it involved hooking the bike up to a computer, that could only be done by a dealer.

I am not sure what he meant. Do these bikes have some programmable components ? I know a cars have ECUs and manufacturer-specific software, but outside of the fancier modern bikes I did not know this was common in motorcycles. Any insights on the Superdual with regard to this ?

The nearest SWM dealer is 80-90 miles away so I don't fancy the trek
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://sm26.gitlab.io/swm_wiki/SM500R/ECU/

Yes they use off-the-shelf Athena Maya ECU and it is programmable. To get factory Arrow map loaded you would need to visit dealer. This is one time thing, you can probably get it done at the time of purchase; the dealer I spoke to does it before delivery.

Arrow map makes some changes like disable tip over sensor, more aggressive throttle response, better low RPM fuelling and TPS calibration as a part of map upload and is nice to have but not required.