New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Though I am not using it as a trail bike, just as adventure, nothing more difficult than BDRs, ABS on it is actually quite good, the only time I needed to turn rear off was on steep loose downhill and even then it was more of precaution. Nothing like previous Gen2 V-strom which was scary, almost killed me on the way down to copper canyon.
    MM2020 likes this.
  2. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Not to contradict cyclopathic but just to give a different style of riders thoughts.
    I dont know if there is a difference in ABS modules between cylopathics bike and my own that may make a difference as would tyres and suspension setup.
    I cannot ride my bike on loose surfaces with ABS on. As an example down hill on loose surfaces I find it dangerous as you cannot stop.
    I was riding with a mate in dusty loose conditions on a flat track where I ended up in a fence. Mate said ABS. Yes, again I would have made the corner easy the ABS turned off.
    rideforzen likes this.
  3. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    seriously, had they made the abs fully switchable, with a switch, and no hacks. id have bought it last week
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    They can't do it because of EU Eurro4. If you need to pull fuse.
  5. CAElite

CAElite n00b

Oddometer:
    Picked up my superdual today, just munched up the 200mile run home, far better than I had imagined with it being a dirt bias bike, sat at 75-80 all the way fuel light only came on when I was getting into my town.

Previous owner had actually already done the subframe bolt fix, and fitted an uprated rear shock (Hagon, I belive it's an M65080 for a TE610), & did the valve service. I do think there's going to be a lowering link and/or a seat shave in the future, if I could knock 2inches off of it so it wasn't as unwieldy in traffic for my stature & experience level it'd be perfect.

I do wonder if the kickstand issues are to do with primarily the 21/18 variant, as with the 19/17 wheels the kick stand leans it over plenty, almost uncomfortably so if, like me, you need to do a bit of a cowboy mount to get your leg over the panniers.

Edit: mine is a euro 3, no abs, no problem :D
    MM2020 likes this.
  6. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, CAElite. Glad you are enjoying the ride. Seat lowering and kick stand modification have been discussed in this thread before, so hopefully you’ll find what you need. Welcome to the club!
  7. Orbs

Orbs n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone out there locate a Tail Tidy for an SD-650T

I'm in the states and would love to find one.

Or has anyone had any luck modifying one? If so which one?
  8. Germany Curve

Germany Curve n00b

Oddometer:
    Rotax655 likes this.
  9. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made my own out of aluminium for the SDT, on the RS i just used the piece hidden under the original tail section. The angle and length is very illegal but not something we worry about too much here in Oz! 20180830_122044.jpg 20190623_101129.jpg
    mrsdnf and MM2020 like this.
  11. jenslh

jenslh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lots of mods on my SuperdualT !

I'm not much active on advrider and this is my first post in this thread, but I thought you would be interested in the fair amount of modifications/improvements I made to my new EURO4 SuperDualT during the winter.

You can see my work in this thread in my personal blog: https://www.motorcyclelife.eu/category/swm-600-superdual-t/

And here is a few teaser pictures from the installation of the Gipro Gear Indicator (Haven't seen anyone do this before)

img_2437.jpg

img_2374.jpg

img_2339.jpg
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What year is your SD? I don't know if there's any difference in ABS unit. If yours Euro4 most likely it's the same.

Here's a lecture on braking:
  13. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure its Euro 4. Another example of where I've had experience with ABS not working was in my car. Again it was a gravel track. Towing a trailer full of wood down hill the ABS would not allow the car to stop. Only way to stop was to pull the hand brake on.
    ABS has its place as in the example above and no doubt it will get better as technology changes. In some circumstances ABS just does not work.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you have rear ABS turned off when that happened, do you remember?

The maximum breaking force is achieved when some wheel slippage occurs. The amount of slippage needed depends on surface and ABS MFG take that into consideration when they program ABS, so in dirt mode it should act differently and potentially stop better. Not sure if that's the case with Superdual but it might be since they use off-the-shelf Bosch (?) unit.

Here's a graph unfortunately it doesn't have gravel surface just cobblestone Friction-coefficient-versus-slip-ratio-curves-for-different-road-surfaces-at-linear-speed.jpg
    MM2020 likes this.
  15. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tha abs cannot be turned off in my Ute. I'm not a hater of abs, just some circumstances it is not ideal.
    Got news from my dealer that the head on my bike is warped causing the bike to use coolant. Touch wood l get it back soon. There's been a shortage of parts causing the repair to drag out.
    MM2020 and cyclopathic like this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    By any means I don't doubt your experience; just trying to figure out what happened so I don't end up in the fence myself .

The conditions I experienced were low speed steep hill descend; rear stopped holding due to ABS so I turned it off and the rest was fine: front was rock solid but it had new good tire on it too. Haven't tried high speed front lockup off the pavement, haven't had any reason to.

Wrapped head is usually a sign of overheating.. did you have a leak prior which could have caused air pockets in cooling system? Failed cap?
  17. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I reckon the bike had a fault from new. I reported it here and to the dealer before the first service. Its progressively got worse to the point the dealer had to take a deeper look.
    MM2020 and cyclopathic like this.
  18. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that, mrsdnf. I hope SWM is going to own this one and it can be fixed before too long.
    If it was a Subaru, I’d say crappy head gasket. Keep us posted.
  19. budadvoz

budadvoz n00b

Oddometer:
    I am new to this site. I have owned my SWM Superdual X for almost 2 years great bike.
    I have noticed an issue lately and was wondering if any have seen or heard of the same issue.
    When I put my side stand down it appears to lean almost to a tipping point. I will add photos later, but I'm not sure if the tab on the frame is bent or that the leg it self has an issue.

here are the photos as promised 20210323_224356.jpg
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check upper shock mount; had same issue when mine cracked. Also check preload ZF Sachs units are simple but I have seen them fail on other bikes.

If not those 2 check kickstand/mount could be bent if took direct hit.
    mrsdnf likes this.