New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Their website isn't very informative but from what I understood it sits between ECU and sensors (temperature, TPS, oxygen) and tricks ECU into thinking that the conditions are different and it should use different part of the map. The simpler products like Sol2, Booster Plug just use air temperature sensor to enrich mixture, and that only works when system is in open loop mode, when you roll on and oxygen/lambda sensor is lagging behind in adjusting mixture.

Back to OP according to dealer I talked to part of the loading new map involves TPS calibration, which if it is off you will be chasing your tail. Also the fueling is a bit rough at the bottom, and in my experience on other bikes it could be because of valves tight. I would also replace or at least gut those exhaust cans if not for performance for weight saving.

So IMHO the best way to tackle it is 1) adjust valves, 2) replace cans, 3) update to Arrow map and then decide if you need more.

The friend of mine just replaced a cat with midpipe on his 890 and it really opened up the bike, both in power and sound. I had an air box clamp pop off on my Superdual and it made bike feel lovelier so it might be choked on intake too. The OEM cans on US bikes have spark arrestors and there is enough carbon deposit so I don't think bike is super lean. Usually the emission- compliant bikes running rich you need some fuel to get catalytic converter, and bike doesn't pop as it would do if it were lean.
  2. MotoSly

MotoSly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_2021-05-24-13-51-31-549_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_2021-05-24-13-51-44-055_com.android.chrome.jpg

This happend to a fellow swm rider....
    I want to love swm SD... And i kinda have a love/hate on mine... But i will never buy one again if this one dies...
  3. [Savior]

[Savior] Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Puh, looks terrible..

But I honestly think, that stuff like that comes from an overloaded bikes. Yes - maybe poor and weak design. But the knowledge is out there, that the subframe (and its bolts) are a weakspot on the SWM (at least the bolts were already a problem on the 630 Huskies). When you load a bike with lots of crap and then do heavy offroad...well..you can snap your frame. And if you dig into this matter, you will find all kinds of bikes from various brands that had that happen. Imho it depends how you take care of your bike and what you do to it. And sometimes its just bad luck..

The pitty is, that SWM must have known about the subframe Issue and they didnt do anything about it. Apparently the bolts still wiggle arround and wear out over time. Also they put a steel subframe instead of alloy (like 630 Husky) on - wich is even more heavy.

You are correct - its a love hate relationship with the SD ;)
    MM2020 and MotoSly like this.
  4. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Real bummer with the broken frame and apparent collateral damage to the ECU plug. No obvious involvement of subframe or bolts though, right? Similar to what happened to Cyclopathic‘s bike, I seem to recall.
    I agree with the love/hate sentiment and statements regarding disregarded opportunities for design improvements.
    I finally got around to replacing my M8 x 80 mm screws with 12.9 grade and added Loctite. I will definitely keep an eye on them. Also, while checking for front axle alignment, I was able to remove the axle nut by hand...
    Can‘t check your bolts and nuts often enough on this bike!
    MotoSly likes this.
  5. MotoSly

MotoSly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210530_120859.jpg titanium M10 should do the trick
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happened to me too; you have to go back 2 years for pictures. Cost me $50 to get it welded up in Khorug, Tajikistan. Still love the bike and would buy one in heartbeat.

EDIT:

MotoSly, MM2020 and Rotax655 like this.
  7. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    repaired with a weld last week and set off again via the Trans Euro Trail Screenshot_2021-05-30-13-08-04-721_com.android.browser.jpg
    mrsdnf, MM2020 and cyclopathic like this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's the beauty of steel frame; can be welded at any muffler shop.

I wish they put the same kickstand in SD as on G650x; that aluminum crutch is POS.
  9. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MotoSly likes this.
  10. captainblack1954

captainblack1954 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think all the US bikes came with it. I find it pretty comfortable. Although my bony rear still complains after a few hours...
    cyclopathic likes this.
  12. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    I found both seats uncomfortable.
  13. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, i'd suggest spending your $ on getting the seat modded rather than bothering with the "comfort seat", it has a better shape and look to it but still too firm for me. Screenshot_20210422-123943_Gallery.jpg
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah US bikes came with comfort seat standard.

I had pulled cover, took sandpaper and rounded it around edges, put air mesh cover and it was good for all day long; it will soften up after a couple K too.
  15. captainblack1954

Oddometer:
    The foregoing replies suggest I'll wait and see if it softens up a bit then maybe get it reprofiled.
  16. captainblack1954

Oddometer:
    I may have a problem. Today, whilst cleaning my Superdual I noticed a green coloured liquid had leaked from somewhere higher up and formed a 'run' on the engine rearward of the oil filler plug. It may have come from near the air filter cover. It has just had its first service, but I don't think the dealer touched the air filter. I do hope it isn't coolant!
  17. MotoSly

MotoSly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes i did. Should hold up better now. And went fro m8 to m10.
  18. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just curious what your reasoning was. Are you getting improved tensile or shear strength versus steel 12.9? Or is it for other benefits, e.g. hydrogen embrittlement risk with high strength steel, better elasticity? I doubt it’s the weight savings...
  19. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How far can you trace it back (not in time, but where it’s coming from on the bike)? Can you post a picture?
  20. captainblack1954

Oddometer:
    Panic over I hope. My supplying dealer tells me that the factory often 'over oil' the air filter, and when the engine and weather get hot the excess air filter oil, which is green in this case, can seep out of the air filter casing.
    Sounds plausible?