New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Good stuff Dave.
  2. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. How many miles are on it? Keep us posted (about fix or new bike deliberations).
    MotoSly likes this.
  3. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    Mine came with a lithium battery. It weighs almost nothing. Also less tall, has spacers underneath to put the terminal at original height.
    I was pretty dubious, but it starts first go every time. Even on cold mornings, and after weeks of no use.
    Reckon I could be a convert.
    DavAmb likes this.
  4. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    Can anyone verify from experience, the dimensions of the 43mm Fastace fork seals please? I have read 43x54x11mm in various places.

Also has anyone played with the shim stacks, forks or shock, with any benefit?

Cheers,
    Rob
  5. MotoSly

MotoSly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick update on the SWM.
    They can't find what is wronf with it, lighrs don't work, dashboard doesn't work. Fuelpump doesn't work. ( Starterengine does ) there is no spark,
    The just spend 3 hours searching, and they told me the have to open it up etc. But that would cost allot and there wouldn't be a garanty that it will be fixed etc. So that's a big bill to pay if they do that.
    I now understand they stopped production on the SD.

So, the KTM 390 adv will be deliverd at me home within 2 hours.
    MM2020 likes this.
  6. MotoSly

MotoSly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, forgot to quote you!
    MM2020 likes this.
  7. MotoSly

MotoSly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So i guess i will tey to do it myself, and see it as a winter project in my own garage...
    I alwayd wanted a project bike!
    MM2020 likes this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most likely it is bad ground. There is a screw behind airbox with 2 ground wires one of which goes to dash which controls many functions.. in some instances it was either loose and/or coming in contact with airbox and causing intermittent issues.

Enjoy your 390 it looks like an awesome bike. I wouldn't hesitate to get one but given a choice I would pick Superdual over 390; the way I ride my bash plate gets alot of beating and SD has frame to take an impact.. also those 390 cast wheels are not that strong. KTM powerparts catalog has spoke wheel option and perhaps there are some stronger aftermarket bash plates good luck.
    mrsdnf, MM2020 and MotoSly like this.
  9. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That does really blow. I hope you’ll get some pointers from the more experienced wrenchers on this forum before you start your project. It’s out of my league.
    I hope that KTM will serve you better.
    MotoSly likes this.
  10. MotoSly

MotoSly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thnx allot foe that info! It is also not a SWM shop where to bike is atm. So they are not to well known with the bike. I will pick up the swm next week, and will check those "ground" parts.
    If that is the case... Well, than i have 2 bikes i guess.

The 390 comes with crashbars and aftermarket bashplate.
    The cast wheels shouldbe fine for greenlaning etc. But the way i ride does indeed nfed the spoked wheels, i am already looking at options!

Will keep you guys updated!
    MM2020 likes this.
  11. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MotoSly likes this.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check TE-630 thread and Cafe Husky forum.. if it is still up. There's an overlap btw SWM and ItalyHusky common problems.. I would also look at other similar Aprilia designed bikes from late 90s and early 2000s. I find many similarities between SD and my XCo bimmer for example.

Italian bike is well an italian bike it won't be as reliable as run of the mill japanese. 95% it is and other 2-5% it is :fpalm.

As for electrical problems it could strike any bike any time if you live in wet climate and bike isn't kept dry. Sometimes unplugging half dozen connectors and plugging it back solves the problem. And if contact screw wasn't properly torqued it can get loose and even burn out.
    MotoSly and MM2020 like this.
  13. GOR1

GOR1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

Just trying to wrap my head around some differences between the rs 650 and the superdual. The specs list 220mm rear wheel travel for the dual and 270mm for the rs650. Is this due to different links or a different length shock?
  14. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Sachs shock is different between the 2. Unfortunately SWM hasn't done themselves any favours in the marketing department, whether its totally false information/poor english translation or imperial to metric mistakes with fuel capacity/weight/fork dia etc. The bikes are great and i can't see myself getting rid of the RS650R anytime soon but the efforts of the company to communicate with the public and sell their product to us has been terrible.
    cyclopathic and mrsdnf like this.
  15. GOR1

GOR1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cape. So an aftermarket shock would put the front/rear travel numbers the same as the RS650R? I definitely agree with the communication part... I think a RS650R would probably suit me better, I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to get a Superdual close capability-wise as there are some cheap second-hand examples getting around.
  16. CapeG650X

Oddometer:
    RS650R with mods and $ thrown at it (like mine)
    = more comfort (seat concepts)
    more fuel capacity (Safari tank)
    Better ground clearance/protection (high pipes/plenty of TE bashplate options) lighter weight (approx 20kgs)
    No abs and euro 4/5 crap.
    There are also TE options for rear and pannier racks.
    The SD already has a stronger subframe
    (as long as you make sure you have HT lower bolts) and rear rack plus the crash bars are great for carrying extra stuff as well. Also i think the black or grey SD's look great!
    P.S. Although i ride my RS harder than i did my SD, i really had no concerns with either rear shock, the front end is where the work is needed. 20210209_110716.jpg
    cyclopathic, mrsdnf and Rotax655 like this.
  17. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    I just changed the oil in my SD X forks.
    They are 43mm Fastace APX27RC.
    The process didn't quite match the manual, which looks remarkably like a copy/paste of the TE630 manual.

When I went to unscrew the top caps from the centre rod, it went easy for a few turns, then went tight. I wasn't game to force it at the time, so didn't remove the spring. Filled the oil based on volume, but there is a lot of uncertainty around that. Was all the old oil out? Does the manual have the correct volume?

Have since found a procedure for forks that look more like mine, so might go in again soon.

Here is the procedure that looks more like mine, even if the model number is different:
    https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4929.0
    View attachment 3054170 View attachment 3054171
    cyclopathic and mrsdnf like this.
  18. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if a heavier spring is available for the SDX shock please?
    Revalve to suit possible?
    Otherwise I suppose I could measure up the shock and see what complete replacements are available.

Its not too bad, just a bit underdone for my weight plus a load.
  19. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Suspensions R Us had a replacement shock but it wasn't cheap.
    rvt likes this.
  20. CapeG650X

Oddometer:
    Was at Teknic in Sydney a while ago (getting another bikes suspension done) and they seemed to have a good idea what needs doing.
    rvt likes this.