New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Correct. The screen behind the clutch cover is the one that goes bad. It is supposed to stop large contamination from entering the oil pump. I was contemplating leaving it out.
    I remove the fuel tank from the rear mounts and raise the front of the tank with a bit of 50mm wood to get better access to the two wiring looms and remove the fuel line from the injector. I curse every time.
    MM2020 likes this.
  2. [Savior]

[Savior] Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well it's off now. Tomorrow Im going to attack the valves and the oil/filters. Im curious how things are looking in there.
    But i have to say, the whole wiringloom seems really messy...but well, after reading 140 pages here and then me still buying a SD - I didnt expect it to be any different. Its an SWM right? :rofl
  3. [Savior]

[Savior] Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the doublepost

So, i checked the valves today. Intake are both just arround 0.10mm (recommended 0.1-0.15) so im going down 1 shim size, aiming for 0.15. They both are definitely on the tighter side now.
    Outlet valves are both arround 0.1-0.15 (recommended 0.1-0.15), but the 0.15 feeler only goes in with some resistance - so maybe i'll go down a shim size here too. Also the Huskys had 0.15-0.2 recommended, wich makes me think aiming for 0.2 cant be that wrong.

What is really odd, are the markings on the sproket for the top dead center. There is one dot with paint on it and there is another marking consisting out of 2 dots. Husky manual talks about 2 dots (which are painted) - so i went for 2 dots as well. Piston is up and cams look like in the picture in the manual.
    Hopefully Im doing it right haha
    rvt, mrsdnf and MM2020 like this.
  4. DavAmb

DavAmb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Deleted. Will try direct hosting.
    Apologies.
    See post below Moose's.
  5. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    No pics showing Dave.
  6. DavAmb

DavAmb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve. Dunno what's wrong there, gdurl links has always worked in the past. Will look into it...

Edit:
    Seems gdurl certificate has expired and I guess Adv is blocking the links. Will ahve to find another way of hosting pics.
  7. DavAmb

DavAmb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seat Experiments:

1. Reshape foam to get rid of coccyx hump.

Seat1.JPG

No good, bum still slides down into the valley.
    2. Try a valley insert.

Seat2.JPG

An improvement, but nearly impossible to get rid of the transition to the original foam - even with the lamby.
    3. Try different foam for the valley insert (highest-density available from Clarke Rubber).

Seat3.JPG

Not bad, but foam seems way too soft and doesn't prevent me from sitting in the valley.
    4. Try making the whole insert out of CR foam.

Seat4.JPG

Nah, foam completely compresses and bum bottoms-out (!) on seat base.
    5. Try making a complete seat out of laminates of the sleeping mat foam.

Seat5.jpg

Not bad. Not bad at all.
    6. Cut out with a bloody sharp knife, shape with ye olde Dremmel (makes one hell of a mess) and tidy-up with hot air from SMD rework station.

Seat6.jpg

Am concerned that the seat will permanently deform, but think that it'll take the shape of the Dave arse so should be good.
    7. Find a local retired upholster with access to a power stapler. A generic staple gun from the local hardware shop will NOT cut the mustard.

Seat7.JPG

$20 donation to the local Men's Shed and 30 mins later and I'm liking the result!
    8. Time to chuck the lamby on and see what it's like on the bike.

Seat8.JPG

Ok, so it's a little bit higher, but I can sit wherever I like on the seat. Time for a test ride.
    Shit, it's bucketing down. Later.

9. All the paper templates I made along the way...

Seat9.JPG

So, if you want to try this yourself, the camping foam cost $10 from BigW. The best spray contract adhesive I tried was from CR. I tried shaping with an electric carving knife, but really, using laminates means you can cut it with a hobby knife. Just build it up layer-by-layer and then shape with a sanding block. Smooth it all over with a hot air gun or a very cool flame if you don't have a hot air gun or SMD rework station in the workshop. Oh and don't remove the front 20 or so staples. Just slide your construction in under the peak. A bit of talcum powder helps it all slide together. The original vinyl is very stretchy, so it will accommodate the new profile. I'd really like to have done this with proper HD foam. The upholsterer said that there was a place in Dandenong with every conceivable type of foam in the known universe. Might have another crack at it with something from them if the chap mat foam proves to be rubbish.
    MM2020, Suncoaster and Rotax655 like this.
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks orsm Dave. You have put a lot of work into it. Makes a difference being able to move your bum around on long distance trips. That lambs wool would take away feeling the seam across the seat as well. Hows the tippy toe dance going when you stop? :-)
  9. DavAmb

DavAmb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well the rain only lasted a couple of mins after all, but then I realised lockdown would prohibit going for a ride anyways. So I've no idea what it'll be like. I can move it around the garage okay, but really keen to try it out for real. Hmmm... I'm down to my last miso soup sachet. Wonder if it's a legit excuse going into Wonthaggi to shop for more? By the back road of course - social distancing and all...
  10. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    A man has got to eat. Go get that soup. You may need more tomorrow as well.
  11. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    Two dots for tdc is correct. Confirmed with a chopstick down the plughole.
  12. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is anyone using a tank bag they are happy with?
  13. captainblack1954

captainblack1954 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an Enduristan Sandstorm 4S, which I originally bought for a RE Himalayan. Size wise it fits well, and the quality certainly seems better than say Givi. It was bit fiddly finding the right location for the attachment straps, but once on its secure, and the front unclips for refeulling.
    I don't know if Enduristan products are sold in Australia though.
  14. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks captain. I'll have a look around.
  15. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a Nelson Rigg Trails End Adventure Tank Bag. Haven’t had a chance to test it yet, but mounted it and it fits well.
  16. Victorspecial

Victorspecial Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it tricks the ecu and is supposedly adjustable. I'm sure it affects the entire rev range. I might just head over the pass to Albany and have the dealer there remap. It w
  17. Victorspecial

Victorspecial Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would anyone have advise on how to disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump? It looks like a 1/4 turn but I am struggling. Not much room in there for my hands. Thanks
  18. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two small square buttons 180 degrees apart. Push both sides in at the same time and pull coupling from the nipple. It's tight and can be difficult.
  19. Victorspecial

Victorspecial Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is what I'm dealing with. Not sure what to push.

Attached Files:

20. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    Not the pump end of the hose.
    Follow the black hose to where it connects to the throttle body.
    Push the black button with a blunt tool and gently wiggle it free.

Access is better with the front of the tank raised about 100mm. I jam a bit of pvc 90mm pipe under the front of the tank to support it.

Don't forget to disconnect the fuel pump cable and level sensor cable.
    mrsdnf likes this.