New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Yes.
    Looking through the old Husky threads on the clutch failures, Savior's mysterious piece of metal may be the boss off a washer in the clutch hub.
    cyclopathic, MM2020 and rvt like this.
  2. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    So...firstly, sincere condolences...second, is there a fix...or a preemptive modification? Because that looks totally unacceptable.

I do the spannering on my sons SD, so I'm keeping an eye out for this kind of thing.

I do the work for him seeing as I'm semi retired and have the time to do it, as payment he comes on rides with me where I try to kill him. Last ride I took him up a horrible rutted single track climb, and he fell downhill about 2m when it stalled in an awkward spot. The SD seems to have literally no torque down low. Stalls real easy. My DR pulls like a tractor at idle by comparison (FCR pumper). Anyway, it landed on his leg as he sprawled across the ruts, something went "snap" in his leg, he made a lot of noise. I carried him to the top of the climb, and then rode the bike out. He refuses to start a gofundme page for a statue in memory of my selflessness. He wouldn't even contemplate a couple of pose-able action figures glued to a rock. He's all grumpy about his sore leg, and his misses is sick of me trying to kill him. So I have some time before his misses will let him ride with me again to fix any clutch spring issues.
    DavAmb, mrsdnf, MM2020 and 1 other person like this.
  3. jumper12

jumper12 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm on my third gasket. Bike has 3000 miles on it.
  4. jumper12

jumper12 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The remap is available here in the US. The dealer installed it on my bike when I purchased it. Albany, Oregon.
    MyRedStrom likes this.
  5. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ouch. Sorry to hear. My second one is holding up so far. Knock on wood! As I wrote back then, it looks like the leaky part looked identical to the replacement they sent me. Not sure if the “design improvement” only affected materials or manufacturing/QA and was thus not visible to me, or if the leaky one was already the current design. The bolts were very loose when I removed the unit, so could have been that too. I added Loctite to the new one and torqued to spec. But definitely something to inspect every time the tank comes off.
    Btw, good to see that I’m not the only SD owner in Oregon! I’ve never come across another one.
  6. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the Snafu. And thanks for the pointer to Husky thread. Some interesting reading material there regarding this issue. I hope you are getting some support from your dealer—keep us posted.
  7. jumper12

jumper12 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    My third one is holding up well too. I purchased mine between Motoman and Central Powersports as importers. Crazy design, trying to put a flat piece on an slightly curved surface and expecting it to seal.
    MM2020 likes this.
  8. GTRyan

GTRyan n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

New Superdual T owner here in Wyoming. First road bike and absolutely loving it.

I’ve got a couple questions and found bits and pieces in this thread, but still need some help.

1. Is the sub frame bolt shear failure an issue on all MY superduals or was it addressed on later models?

2. I am not happy with the fueling in the lower rev range. I read about some remapping options that may address this. Can anyone point me to more info about these?

3. The dealer must have over tightened the windscreen during setup and cracked it around the mounting bolts. Unfortunately, I didn’t notice it until I got the bike home 5 hours from the dealer. Instead of buying the entire $200 kit to replace it, I wanted to know if there were any replacement options that fit the OEM mount.

Thanks,
    Ryan
  9. jumper12

jumper12 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    1. No.
    2. The dealer can remap your ECU.
    3. Mine broke too, had it replaced and the second one cracked also. I don't know of any other options.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  10. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your new SD, Ryan. Re: screen, mine has had small cracks for almost 2 years now, but they aren’t growing (or so slowly I’m not noticing it). Depending on how much it’s bugging you, wait and see can be a cost effective option as well.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    On #1 he means that it hasn't been fixed. Get a couple 12.9 class bolts and red loctite them.. and carry spares on long trip. OEM are M8x80 but longer should work.
    jumper12 likes this.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for warning; they basically didn't fix it just took longer time to rear up due to cush drive. When I get to bike I will be definitely taking it apart and getting someone to lace harder/thicker cup washers; not intend to travel with engine hand grande.

Unfortunately looks like the guy from South Africa is no longer selling TE-630 cup washer kit. I suspect the yo-yo I have experienced with mine may be related to loose springs/worn washers.

You had contributed so much to this forum. Is there any way we can help you? Maybe donation? I wouldn't mind paypaling you my beer money mate.
    Suncoaster and DavAmb like this.
  13. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the generous offer cyclopathic but no I'm ok. I cannot find anyone still making the washers. I will get some made and see how they go. Not until I show the dealer though. We are in lock down and cannot do anything at the moment.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I gave it a thought and as a backup plan if can't find a machinist I am thinking about buying a dozen of properly sized bolts and grinding then into proper shape. First grind head down to a couple mm then cut excess and use resulting mushroom, two per spring, eh? IIRC from Cafe Husky someone had replaced springs with solid pieces of metal at one point.

I spoke to a friend AJP PR7 owner and he said that when he had basket and clutch pack replaced at the factory, they told him that one of the springs was loose.. most likely issue is going out of spec due to poor spring quality.

What are you gonna do with the rest? It's a real bummer and expensive one too.
  15. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess you are asking me what l am doing with the rest. I'm not sure what you are asking cyclopathic. Sorry but l really am a dumb Moose.
  16. DavAmb

DavAmb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Cyclopathic means - what are you doing with the rest of the damage - please correct me if I'm wrong.

And I think the following sketch is his idea? Turn down a bolt to make a "slug" that fits inside the spring and won't fall out. (Apologies for the crappy dwg, haven't had my weeties yet.)

20210812_080922.jpg
    mrsdnf and cyclopathic like this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found this
    Rotax655, DavAmb and mrsdnf like this.
  18. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a picture of the stock mushroom washer left and a replacement aftermarket washer right, no longer available. I will make some up out of 4140 and have hardened. We'll see how they go. Picture borrowed from cafe Husky.

[​IMG]
    DavAmb and cyclopathic like this.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW.. apparently KTM sells them

mrsdnf likes this.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    @mrsdnf : There's more discussion when/if you follow post above to its original place in TE-630 thread