New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Bugger. The only way I could start mine reliably from cold was to prime the bike three times using the kill switch. When releasing the kill switch for the third time hit the starter button.
  2. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, cheers.
    Tried that and it's still cranking and not firing for about 5 mins before it fires up.
    I'll try a new fuel filter (listed somewhere in this thread), then a new spark plug. Then off to a dealer.
    Any other troubleshooting things to look at (for an all-thumbs hack backyard mechanic)?
  3. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fuel perhaps?
  4. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    The "crank over kind of slowly" might suggest a volt drop issue while cranking, when the oil is cold and thick.
    Get the battery load tested.
    Check the big DC connections between battery, starter and frame ground are clean and tight.
    Try starting with clutch in, not just in neutral.
    Good luck and report back.

Mine is a great starter, cold or hot. I suspect the ecu map has been upgraded when the pipe was fitted.

Really happy with the bike actually.
    AMGrrr and mrsdnf like this.
  5. NQJim

NQJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eagle Screens here in Australia (www.eaglescreens.com.au) do replacement screens for the SD in different sizes, tints etc. I haven't used one - I'm pretty happy with the standard one.

upload_2021-9-19_10-10-30.png
    DavAmb and mrsdnf like this.
  6. Victorspecial

Victorspecial Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By lifting the wheel, pushing the caliper aside and removing straight out. Took a bit to figure it out but it went back in the same way. Pulled the stock Metzeler Enduros and put on Motoz Desert H/T. Big difference in the dirt. They are just for playing around locally on forest service roads.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  7. Traveler57

Traveler57 n00b

Oddometer:
    New owner of a 2020 SDX. This forum is full of some very smart people, and I have learned a lot here, before I decided on the SWM SDX. Initial question- What does the Arrow map on the ECU actually do? I assume that it changes the fuel mixture ratios at different rpms? but not clear to me. plus it appears to just delete the input from the O2 sensor, to further help the fuel ratio to the richer side. Resulting in a "better" running engine and throttle response, with higher fuel/air ratios? I have reprogrammed all my cars and jeeps, with great results. now, I would just like to learn more about the SWM ECU. thanks in advance.
  8. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    with this software you should be able to do whatever you want. find out in your language here and in the video tutorials https://www.athena.eu/it-it/software-maya-evo-P22735.htm
  9. Traveler57

Traveler57 n00b

Oddometer:
    thank you for this great link. This was a good link to learn about the programming software itself. but I am still wondering what the ARROW firmware (map) that has been downloaded (using the MAYO\EVO software) onto my SD-X's ECU is doing, technically. And I also have been learning about what exactly the BoosterPlug device does to help improve performance of the engine. I think it is addressing the same issue of lean fuel at low rpms. This is what is causing me to ask about what the ARROW map is doing, and how it is doing it.
  10. Traveler57

Traveler57 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just a follow up on my own question. After speaking a bit more with my dealer and the distributor, all the US bikes (including mine) are typically reprogrammed with the Arrow map. But it is the version of the map that keeps the O2 sensor, as this is required by the US legal emissions standard. So far, I would say that the engine and throttle are working perfectly, at all rpms. So I doubt if I will worry about changing anything, anytime soon.
    MM2020 and mrsdnf like this.
  11. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. I didn’t know that. I bought mine late 2019 in the US, and I have to agree, I have no issues with how the engine is running. I added a couple of teeth to the rear sprocket and starting from a standstill is a very relaxed affair now too.
  12. [Savior]

[Savior] Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ABS light keeps comming on.
    Thats the rear ABS Plug. You think that could be the Problem? Seemed Like a little Water came in.

Attached Files:

13. Traveler57

Traveler57 n00b

Oddometer:
    On my SD-X, I found the ABS wires were broken (pinched) at the yoke. the rat's nest of cables you find there, need a bit of sorting out, to stop future issues.
  14. [Savior]

[Savior] Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cables seem fine behind the light mask - I already checked there.

But in the picture its the rear cable - there seemed to be water in. I must admit, i washed the SD with a high pressure washer last week. Afterwards it was fine for 100km. And today in between two rides, ABS started flashing.

The question is, does a burnt plug look like the one in the picture?
  15. Traveler57

Traveler57 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry, my mistake, i see the shock now in the pic. And I will definitely pay attention when I wash my bike next time. Maybe the water in that connector caused the rear sensor itself to fail?
  16. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen one other bike with the same issue of the ABS light coming on. It was missing the protective rubber boot over the plug at the ABS module. Not sure if the rubber boot was an after thought or not.
  17. [Savior]

[Savior] Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked the complete wiring that i could possibly check without taking the tank of. Found no kinks, nothing. The picture from yesterday turned out to be the rear brake light switch - cable. And it works just fine.
    Seems like I have to invovle my dealer now.
  18. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The picture shows the rubber boot covering the ABS module wiring loom that your bike does not have (bottom centre of the pic). I dont know if this missing rubber boot is causing your ABS light issue with water or something else. I have seen one other bike with this runner boot missing and it also had issues with the ABS light.

[​IMG]
    cyclopathic likes this.
  19. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Playing in the shed last couple of weekends. Couldn't afford the 2 into 1 from Queensland.

[​IMG]
  20. DavAmb

DavAmb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool! When are you taking orders Moose?
    Motor all good again?
    cyclopathic likes this.