New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    I take orders 24 hrs a day. And yes you have met her. :-)

The transplant is working ok not that we can ride at all in lockdown.
    DavAmb, Richarde1605 and Suncoaster like this.
  2. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of the transplant. I don’t remember reading how the situation got resolved. Who paid for the transplant? Labo(u)r? And have you checked the new clutch for the washer issue? Anyway, glad to hear it’s operational again!
  3. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing is resolved yet. Warranty was denied for whatever reasons they could dream up. From my end warranty is still a work in progress. I bought another low mileage bike and transplanted the engine and transmission from it to mine. The bike had done 4100 Km and its clutch was showing signs of wear on the thrust washers hence the question earlier if anyone had checked their clutch.
    I did make up new rivets and thrust washers which were heat treated to the spec that Berty(?) from SA was making and selling.
    If there was interest I was thinking of making a batch but no one responded.
    DavAmb and cyclopathic like this.
  4. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This kind of shortsightedness never seizes to amaze me. Great, they are saving a few grand by stiffing you, and continue to ruin whatever reputation may be left. But hopefully you can still help them come to their senses on this one.
    I have to admit I’m not the most experienced Moto wrencher. I gather opening it up and taking a look at the clutch wouldn’t be hard. How about doing the washer replacement? I would potentially be interested in parts, but shipping to the US would likely be cost prohibitive. Cheaper than a transplant though I’m sure…
    DavAmb and cyclopathic like this.
  5. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be honest, I've not read anywhere about clutch failures on these bikes or the AJP so do not want to scare monger anyone into thinking there is an issue with all bikes. Hence the question earlier.
    MM2020 likes this.
  6. Gavin Unlikeable

Gavin Unlikeable n00b

Oddometer:
    The SD info here is fantastic! I have been a lurker for ages but I picked up my SDX with 1100km & 12 mths warranty remaining a week ago. I sold my KLX400R (a green DR-Z 400E) as I am semi-retired and getting too old for the rough stuff. My mates I want to ride with are all joint replacement candidates so it was either a Buell Ulysses or the NOS Husky, as the knobbies and high revs of the KLX on 90% bitumen was unbearable. Hate soft luggage too...anyways...

What is the procedure for turning off ABS on rear or front & rear? I am thinking that I can only switch my rear off. (Thank god because it's dangerous on low speed gravel 1st gear hairpins). Otherwise things are looking good.

I expect that you will be sick of my questions in a week or two - so be forewarned.

Regards,

FOB
    (Fool-ona-Buell)
    AKA
    Gavin Unlikeable
    rvt, mrsdnf, DavAmb and 1 other person like this.
  7. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the thread, Gavin, and congrats on the new bike. Here is how you can disable the ABS (copied from an article):
    “you can turn off the ABS front & rear by putting the bike on the centre stand and putting it in gear and letting the clutch out to turn the back wheel only and this tells the computer that the front sensor is not working and turns off all ABS. As soon as you turn the bike off and then restart it it defaults back to ABS on”
    Hope that helps!
    cyclopathic and mrsdnf like this.
  8. powers13

powers13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting, on my 2019 Superdual T I was only able to turn off ABS on the rear wheel.
  9. Gavin Unlikeable

Gavin Unlikeable n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks MM good trick.

I was hoping they just forgot to mention a control in the user manual.
  10. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The handle bar switch only turns of the rear. Turning the rear wheel while the front wheel is stationary will turn of the front as well as the rear ABS.
  11. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Gavin Unlikeable. Congrats on the new ride.
    Biggest thing with the new bike is to keep an eye the lower subframe cap screws that go through the pillion peg mounts. The standard 8mm cap screws will more than likely still come loose even using something like Loctite 601 on the threads.
    Best update is to modify and fit 3/8'' or 10mm capscrews.
    SWM in Vic will wipe your warranty if you do your own servicing.
    Enjoy the ride.
    MM2020 likes this.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know that having front ABS on is a concern but is it really an issue on SD? It was a big deal on early 2000 bimmers but is it an issue on modern units? Never actually got my SD into situation to test it; always had good front tire and used grip sensibly.
    MM2020 likes this.
  13. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update.
    Put more Repco fuel injector cleaner in at about triple to 4x strength.

Has fixed the issue. Bike starts normally now.

Thanks for your inputs
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC MOM says somewhere about engine being rough due to carbon deposits; when I was traveling on my SD in eastern europe with predominantly A-92 at the pump it would get rough but running a tankful of premium would fix take care of it. Maybe it was a placebo but I could swear it was the case.
    AMGrrr and MM2020 like this.
  15. Gavin Unlikeable

Gavin Unlikeable n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mrsdnf,

I bought the bike with the LHS lower subframe cap screw broken. (I already knew of the weakness but sub 1100km is woeful). I replaced it with an 80mm 12.9 hi tensile version. Since installing this I have realised that 85mm is the optimum length bolt for both the shoulder length and thread engagement. The only negative I can see is that 85mm doesn't seem available in zinc. Paint will suffice I guess.

While at it I made a poly "Fat Foot" for my sidestand The same "soft buttered" bolt material as the capscrew is also used on the sidestand pivot bolt. I will be machining a 12.9 shoulder bolt to suit.

X FatFoot TOP.jpeg

X FatFoot SIDE.jpeg

X FatFoot UNDER.jpeg
    DavAmb, CapeG650X, mrsdnf and 2 others like this.
  16. MM2020

MM2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice work on that fat foot!
    mrsdnf likes this.
  17. DavAmb

DavAmb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can always make up your own zinc plating bath, it's a doddle and a very useful thing to have. Let me know if there's any interest - I'd be happy to document my setup.
    59kahuna and Suncoaster like this.
  18. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be happy if you documented your zinc setup Dave.
    59kahuna likes this.
  19. Gavin Unlikeable

Gavin Unlikeable n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah...I have considered my own zinc plating before on other projects but if I was that serious, in this instance, I could pay the $5 a bolt to get 2 done. One day maybe.
  20. Gavin Unlikeable

Gavin Unlikeable n00b

Oddometer:
    I notice that the Italian & Australian SWM websites no longer have SDX in the model range but in the USA there is a 2021 SDX. Is anyone up with the story? In my book it is a small positive as parts are easier to get. My 2010 XB12R Buell is just starting to be a hassle for some spares.