New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. OzPup

OzPup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a great ride yesterday with a dozen or so other bikes, bike performed great on the transport stages at a little over the posted limit, and much better than I can ride in the dirt. We had plenty of slippery clay, rocks, hilly sections and water to get through. Didn't take any interesting photos unfortunately, I was too busy picking the bike up! A little bruised and sore today, but learnt a lot and had a great time.
    :muutt

Really need a bigger rear sprocket for the slower technical sectionss.
    20180428_125739.jpg
    20180428_134519.jpg

Attached Files:

CJD, innathyzit and CapeG650X like this.
  2. OzPup

OzPup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's oil. Looks like I may have filled the air box when the bike was on its side. Hope that's all it is. It's due for it's first service this week. 20180429_162658.jpg
    CJD likes this.
  3. OzPup

OzPup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep air filter dripping with oil.
    20180429_175131.jpg 20180429_175208.jpg
    cyclopathic and CJD like this.
  4. CJD

CJD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, It’s a waterproof AMP automotive connector and yes it’s a 12v switched power supply.
    We made a harness so GPS power and 12v merrit plug (BMW style) are both switched on with the ignition.
    Nice and neat install now, shame they don’t have a factory option.
  5. Cogz

Cogz Cogz

Oddometer:
    Hi guys
    My brother and i (both in our 60s) have just bought superdual Ts and are prepping them for our first trip which is from Newcastle to the tip of Cape York in July this year.

So far we are looking for info re installing compression damping adjustability in front forks and I am also lowering mine (hips aren't what they used to be).

Also it would be helpful if you can suggest any reliability issues to watch out for. If this thread is the wrong place please point me in the direction of a better spot for this info.

As a background we both rode dirt bikes when young but have done road racing and road touring for many years. Now looking to do adventure touring a bit after a particularly memorable creek crossing north of cairns on a ducati st3 and bmw r1200s ! Looking at the adventure bikes on the market we decided the swm was light , cheap , and powerful enough for us , and we figured we could pick them up lol!
  6. Cogz

Cogz Cogz

Oddometer:
    AAAAAnd what gearing to use on superduals at the cape.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC it has been detailed in RS650 owners thread or TE610/630/RS650.. it should be definitely on CafeHusky.
  8. Cogz

Cogz Cogz

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cyclo
    Have found that , but
    1) Superdual forks appear different to RS650R at fork bottom but bolt may still be the same
    2) Followed up on supplier of kit to guy on RS650 owners thread but received no reply so looking for other avenues.

Will keep all posted on adventures and progress :)
    DLRuapuke and cyclopathic like this.
  9. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, comp adjustment is bottom of fork legs under rubber caps. Take some octane booster (my SD knocked a bit after bad fuel at Laura), tighten nuts and bolts before tackling the corro's. Take a spare oiled air filter or 2 but don't over tighten airfilter cover!
    If you're not riding much dirt until North of Cairns get Wayne Leonard M/Cycles to fit knobbies for the Cape then swap back for trip home. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    avianello, Cogz, cyclopathic and 2 others like this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought that is for granted; every Italian bike should come with a liter bottle of locktite and require a couple hours to do all bolts, frame, engine, etc.

Factory is saying that they now locktite subframe/passenger peg mount bolts but worth checking.. they shier if get loose.

Also fuel sock is a cheap insurance for questionable quality fuel in 3rd countries; there have been cases of fuel pump failure due to clogged fuel filter.
  11. OzPup

OzPup Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

FR700, Rotax655, cyclopathic and 2 others like this.
  12. Cogz

Cogz Cogz

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this stufff.
    Re compression damping, I read superduals don't have any adjusters. Next time i am at shed i will have to pull little rubber cap off bottom of leg and see :) That would be a nice surprise.

Thanks for tip on octane booster and filters Tah!
    Hey CapeG650X where did you get the hand guards, are they a bit flexible and do they have aluminium bracing. Standard swm ones look fine for road use but i fear one dirt fall will wreck them. Also whats your travel pack. Looks way better than the standard panniers for creek crossing.

Jumping onto the subject of centre stands, I don't want to remove mine but i do want to remove pillion brackets. Is there an easy way to fit a centre stand stop to replace the job done by the rubber on the pillion bracket?.

Wow OZPup thanks for the gearing charts... bring on the info:) any of you superdual T riders out there find your bikes geared too tall for dirt road or single track stuff? Should we consider fitting a 40 or 42 tooth rear sprocket when we get to the dirt north of Cairns. We plan to change tires so could do this at same time (as long as chains long enough). Any one tried running a 14 tooth front or is it just too small?

Speaking of tyres, have read so much on different tyres and it seems complicated by the fact that the superdual is a relatively light 650 adventure bike.
    Should we fit full dirt like continentals knobbies or similar when we get there or go for a multi purpose like a hidenau scout C60 (?)

And ...Just for any one who may be interested on the lowering topic I have decide to drop 58 mm front and rear. Rear by fitting a shorter wilbers shock with reduced travel and front by slipping forks up through clamps 25 mm and taking the rest out of the fork spacers (so as not to lose too much front travel).

And yep I am going to have to modify the standard stands (fortunately the swm ones are quite cheap as spare parts). Mebe if i get bored i might try and make an adjustable alloy centre stand to shed a little weight. Does anyone know of a a cheap alloy adjustable side stand that fits the superdual otherwise I will cut down the standard one.

Open to any suggestions guys and thanks again for your input
  13. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alloy Barkbusters (Not Flexible).
    $70 bag from ThirdGear (ebay).
    Definitely knobbies TKC80's or Shinko 804/805's at the least (even if you're just going the easy route there's still sand and bulldust holes).
    If you're lowering it I'd pissoff the centrestand its gonna hit everywhere.

[​IMG]
    OzPup likes this.
  14. OzPup

OzPup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Cogz, certainly sounds liked you've got a nice trip planned. My only suggestion is get out as much as you can before youre too far from home and figure out what works for you. For me (x) the gearing is too tall, and the T is slightly taller still. But maybe it's because my fingers are too short to effectively be on and off the clutch. The x has a 40 tooth rear and probably worth trying. If nothing else it'll make the wheelies easier .
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally I would never do it on my bike; had given enough rides to friends when their bike broke down to value as option on long trip. Towing/straight legging can only get you that far.

And hey maybe you'll have some pretty young thing hop on the bike and ask for the ride ;) who knows..
  16. panchogarrancho

panchogarrancho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also the pillion brackets and Givi carriers reinforce the frame
    I removed my centerstand is heavy and bulky,protects the exhaust do,made a U bracket to protect the exhaust pipe instead
  17. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE = "OzPup, post: 34889286, membro: 347550"] Filtro dell'aria Yep che gocciola con olio.
    [ATTACH = full] 1186279 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 1186282 [/ ATTACH] [/ QUOTE]
    can you put a picture of the inside of the filter cover on the forum?
    I wanted to see the differences between superdual and rs
    thank you
    CapeG650X likes this.
  18. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Yes please do this, the crosshatch pattern on the filter had me intrigued as well.
    CapeG650X likes this.
  19. OzPup

OzPup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The pillion pegs actually stop the exhaust heat shields touching down. Unless you're really chasing grams, leave them.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  20. OzPup

OzPup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ordered Notoil filter oil/cleaner and will post up some pics when it's apart again.
    cyclopathic, innathyzit and Rotax655 like this.