1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    good. I'll wait confidently.
    I use petrol to clean and to impregnate the filter
    oil ELF MOTO A
  2. Cogz

Cogz Cogz

Oddometer:
    Thanks CapeG650X will follow up all those :), that bag sounds especially like good value. thank for the heads up on the bike shop. we were thinking about dropping in on swm dealer in atherton... anyone got any experience with them?

Thanks OzPUP. Yep gearing seems to be an issues....thought maybe a 42 tooth might be the go. Has anyone tried a 14 tooth countershaft or are their chain or crankcase issues? We could use standard 15 tooth up to Cairns as just doing dirt and tar roads up to there, then we could change change sprocket and tyres from there. Testing is on the agenda. Gonna do a high percentage dirt road trip from newcastle to Canberra and back to get them up to first service and work out how they will go one longer trips.

Good point Cyclo... didn't consider the need to pillion me or the brother out!... as for pretty young thing hmmm that happened to one of my buddies when on a 3 day trail ride in the Barrington Mountains in the 70s. He didn't leave her cabin for 2 days while we were doing all the trailriding HAHA !

Thanks Pancho . Yep a point re frame bracing. also we intended to leave the give brackets on too act as crash bars for mufflers etc. That long skinny bolt on the pillion mounts worries me though... thats just bodgey! Centrestand will have to stay on as tyre changes and flats make it too easy for old blokes as opposed to propping on sidestand. I might have to modify centre stand like side stand due to lowering it though. I have been reading your posts too, South America might be on the cards for next year! Now to find an SWM dealer in Antartica for the year after lol!
    OzPup and cyclopathic like this.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Aussie guys (team 55 roses) who rode SDs from Italy to Mongolia last year had 2 problematic areas: fuel filter clogging and that bolt sheer and it sheered before they got to rough stuff. They ended up welding subframe in Iran. I had asked SWM on FB and they said they fixed it by putting locktite.. probably a good idea to find a higher grade bolt and carry extra. Maybe longer one and put extra nut.

With regards to fuel pump it failed due to bad fuel. They said that while they carried fuel sock the mistake was they only used it for fuel bought from black market; turned out pump gas was as bad in Tajikistan. So packing fuel socks, extra filters and perhaps extra pump is a good idea too good luck.

Edit:
    It's been long time since I had car full of spring break college chicks flash tits at me; I am afraid it won't be a pretty sight if any girl of my age tried to do that now..
    appleseed likes this.
  4. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my SD from Atherton. Nice guys, but a very small family business. They will usually only have 3 or 4 SWMs on the floor, but plenty of chainsaws and lawnmowers if you need them! Probably book in early if you're bikes need a service etc.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    cyclopathic likes this.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a friend who has chain saw and shovel mounted on the back of his DR.. he rides some crazy sh!t and finds in need to dig/cut his way through. Maybe you can get a packaged deal, eh?
    CapeG650X likes this.
  6. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IIRC that bolt issue was explained on somewhere... as it happens not because of stock bolt is weak but when it get loose the sheer stress on it became huge. If you loctie and assure it to stay in place it will be ok I believe...

Well for the cloagged fuel pump or filters -for any bike- I just discovered this one... really amazing. Dont confuse this with giantloop filter or others

https://bestrestproducts.com/product-category/guglatech-fuel-and-air-filters/

check this filters on u2be or net etc... they are separeting water even perfectly and all small particles in water
  7. Cogz

Cogz Cogz

Oddometer:
    Just thought someone might be interested. This is my new shock to help me lower my new superdual T by 58mm because I am vertically challenged. Worked out a better solution than modifying standard shock then undoing it again when time to sell.
  8. Cogz

Cogz Cogz

Oddometer:
    image.png
    OzPup, cyclopathic and innathyzit like this.
  9. OzPup

OzPup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Cogz

Cogz Cogz

Oddometer:
    5ft 6 1/2 and shrinking rapidly. Short of leg and the old hips don't like extreme angles.
    OzPup likes this.
  11. OzPup

OzPup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Filter (not)oil arrived yesterday, so thought I'd clean up the filter, but when I pulled it apart I was pleasantly surprised to see the shop had done it for me at the 1000k service. But as it was apart, some pics as requested.

Assembly:
    20180512_145801.jpg

Inner grid is affixed via self tappers through snorkel into the plastic.
    20180512_150822.jpg
    Last time I had it apart I compromised the silicone seal, so cleaned it up and resealed.
    20180512_151110.jpg
    CapeG650X and Rotax655 like this.
  12. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    That air filter cover is interesting. it looks like SWM may have been doing a bit of research on issues with the Huskies. In fact that cover looks very similar to what a guy on cafehusky did to his TE630 cover.
    OzPup likes this.
  13. OzPup

OzPup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can see from the pic a couple pages back that the air distribution is pretty good across the whole filter
    Rotax655 likes this.
  14. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Wonder if its available as a spare? Would't mind one for my RS, although I have modified mine this looks a lot tidier.
  15. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    in swm they studied the problem of the air filter of the Te probably.
    maybe they read posts on cafehusky ??

Thanks for sharing photo
  16. OzPup

OzPup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interestingly changed between 2017 SD and 2018 SD X/T.
    10750.png 13342.png
  17. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    Interesting. It would seem only an extra grid.
    It would take some more pictures of the grid to understand tge compatibility whit the old RS650R and TE630

Inviato dal mio GT-I9060I utilizzando Tapatalk
  18. Rotax655

Oddometer:
  19. CouchRider

CouchRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im considering buying one. So since some of you guys are a few months in with your new superduals - would you buy one again? On a scale 1-10 how would you judge the built quality & reliability so far?
    CapeG650X likes this.
  20. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 5500ks in and would only swap it for an AJP PR7 which uses the SWM engine. No problems as such but lots of little mods to improve the bike. These mods are to suit my size, experiences and intended use. I'm sure most will just ride and be happy! I will be doing a few decent rides over the next few months which will test the beast. Also a single Arrow exhaust is on the to do list. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    BrixNaix likes this.