New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody else had trouble with fuel leaking from the level sender under the tank?
  2. panchogarrancho

panchogarrancho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine jus started leaking from the left fuel valve base
  3. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Has anyone had issues with the last bar on the fuel level gauge not flashing when there is little fuel left? Mine has flashed only on one occasion out of about five it should have.
  4. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The fuel gauge is crap. Riding down the hume the first bar went out at 80km then the next one at 120km then the next one at 150km. Can't trust it.

The last bar has only flashed once. Ran out of petrol without the bar flashing.

Then filled up with 16 litres of fuel. All the material says 18 litres of fuel and 400km range. I've never founf this to be the case as I can't get 18 litres of fuel in it. I get about 300 - 320km range.
  5. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks AMGrrr. If i'm patient I can get about 17.5 lts in.
    Edit. As for mileage I'm getting very close to 25 Km/L lightly loaded and sitting on the speed limit most of the time.
  6. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found alternates for the rear sprocket? Was chasing a 37 tooth item. T model has a 38 tooth while X has 40 tooth standard.
  7. panchogarrancho

Oddometer:
    Any Suzuki DR650 will fit in the rear,I went 1 tooth down in the front and bike became snappier,cruise speed went down 10kph
    dexterbeef and mrsdnf like this.
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks panchogarrancho. It appears some Huskys and Gas Gas also use the same.
  9. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    R u sure that DR650 rear sprockets will fit ???
  10. panchogarrancho

Oddometer:
    Suzuki DR650. Sprockets como in 520 and 525
    520 will fit,let me get back home and send you a picture comparing both
    cyclopathic likes this.
  11. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did notice the DR sprockets come in two different sizes. I couldn't find a 37 tooth sprocket for it either.
  12. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Even though I just love the bike, I've never been impressed with the fuel consumption of the Superdual. At the end of January I found out why it's not been all that great when I discovered this after parking up from a ride:
    [​IMG]
    I don't have a bike trailer and there's no convenient public transport to the dealer, so I decided to investigate further myself. I took the tank off and discovered this:
    [​IMG]
    might be a bit hard to make out, but fuel has been leaking from the sender. Quite a bit of it!
    Took the tank to the dealer on Saturday morning and they acknowledged the problem, claiming it was a known issue and that they'd be right on it. Here's a link to the service bulletin covering the problem. Other SD owners take note! [link=https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nk107w0vW5PquMzdrbbFo7Xtk9MEWbCi/view?usp=sharing]linky[/link]
    Great. Next Saturday I was back to collect the "fixed" tank. (Note the ominous use of inverted commas.)

Couple of weeks pass and I'm still not chuffed with the fuel consumption, but have just been putting it down to rather "spirited" riding now it's ridden in. Still, I'm sure I've been getting a whiff of fuel in the shed, but is that just the mower?
    Anywho, time to hit the road with my riding buddy and we're going to covering a fair bit of dirt. Getting the bike ready on the night before I'm sure I can smell petrol. Bugger me, there's fuel on the floor under the bike!
    Offload the SWM and load it all up on the XRx.

Was on the 'phone to the dealer the next morning and to my surprise, they were not best pleased to hear from me. I was rather taken aback to hear that they'd already made a service claim against SWM Australia for this fix on this bike and they weren't sure they'd have any recourse in this matter, but please, drop the bike around and we'll look into it.
    Hang about??? What the hell? What do I care? The bike is only months old. You've had it, you've worked on it, you fix it. What concern is it of mine if it still leaks or who's going to pay for it?
    I'm off for a 4-day fang and the Superdual will have to wait until I get back.
    A week later I've finally got some time to look into it. Can't see any issues with fuel lines, so decide to take the tank off. Guess what:
    [​IMG]
    Decide to look into it a bit further and loosen off the sender. You've got to be friggin kidding:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The sender and seal have not been replaced, it's just been bodged over with sealant. Got it out of the shop, but not much further huh.
    I draft a rather stern email before turning in that night. No, ok, a bit more than stern:

"Mate, what you say you've done is pure bullshit. I've just taken the tank off to see petrol pissing out between the sender and the tank.
    I've loosened off the sender and had a look at the "new" seal and I can tell you there's no fucking way that it's new. It's literally torn to pieces.
    It looks like some imbecile has tried to patch it with sealant but even that is a half-arsed job at best. Give me a ring and tell me where we go from here."

Nah, look, I'm really, really pissed-off. I can smell bullshit here and worse I could have been smelling my arse on fire.
    We speak on the phone the next day and I eventually calm down. Come the weekend and I've made the trek to the shop with the tank one more time. They say they'll be right on it.

Mid week I get a text saying it's ready to be picked up and I'm thinking great, that'll be the end of it. Thursday I get a call from them to hear that they've checked the mounting face for flatness and it's fucked and they'll have to get me in a new tank.
    Hmm, ok, I look forward to hearing from you.
    That was 4 weeks ago and I'm still waiting. The bike's now been off the road for over a quarter of the time I've owned it.
  13. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a mess. Thats the sort of repair you'd try out in the middle of nowhere, not a workshop. I hope you get this sorted soon.
    cyclopathic and Fitz Fortune like this.
  14. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be telling your story to Mojo (the Oz importers) they should know which of their dealers are not good for the brand. If they have talked to Mojo about your situation i bet they will tell the story differently!
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  15. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've sent SWM Aus a couple of emails and left one query on their FB site. Not a word back. Nothing from the dealer yet either. Another week is ticking by.
    Mojo you reckon eh...
  16. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Factual dispassionate email sent to Mojo. Watch this space...
    mrsdnf likes this.
  17. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually got a FB response from SWM Aus. Wow! Things are really moving on...
    Glacial ain't it.
  18. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope things are moving and its just not a response.
  19. petew

petew I love all motorcycles! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thumper? I thought this is a vertical twin??
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope single; farther development of TE-630 Italyhusky.