New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hacksaw?
    jefmad, simmons1 and AMGrrr like this.
  2. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    @ AMGrrr.
    I to have coolant coming out the breather cap on the catch bottle. I'm not sure how you check the coolant temp.
    Over a 4500 Km ride recently the bike did not overheat at all but did have a drop of coolant coming out the breather cap pretty much all the time. The coolant did not need topping up at all. I'm thinking the bottle has been overfilled but had no time to play with levels.
    The water pump may also be leaking but cannot ascertain that it is or just the coolant from the catch bottle.
    Mine is the X model and at 100 KPH by GPS RPM is 4400.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  3. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    loosen the screws and move the front brake and clutch pump towards the center of the handlebar. in this way the end of the lever will not touch the protection
    cyclopathic and AMGrrr like this.
  4. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey mrsdnf. I check the coolant temp with this https://www.mishimoto.com.au/mishimoto-temperature-gauge-radiator-cap-small.html . If you're having coolant come out the breather cap on the catch bottle then it might just be a little full, but check it. I've found it easiest to check by putting a light behind it and shaking it.

Hey Alsbaitco, thanks very much for sharing this. I have a SDX and just did this test and the revs dropped to 4350rpm, just to confuse things! I'll check it again and report back.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Cafe Husky:
  6. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Apparently a new tank - with my name on it - has arrived in the country! Ya never know, it might even make its way to the dealer by the weekend.
    And to think that I'd given up all hope and contacted the ACCC to see if I was entitled to a full refund... oh me of little faith.
    cyclopathic and simmons1 like this.
  7. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it a red or black one?
  8. dexterbeef

dexterbeef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "That would work but how about replacing fuel filter afterwards? The team 55 roses had filter clogged and even pump failed on the way to Mongolia. Applying sealant pretty much rules out roadside repair."

Inline filter. I used one of these on my AJP PR5 as it has filter problems on the tank filter. I also have cheap, disposable units on my Honda Falcon as it seemed the right thing to do with operating it in a shitty environment!! One blocked jet was enough....
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure how it would work. On EFI bikes filter is wrapped around fuel pump and if it gets clogged up pump will fall. Fitting inline does nothing.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What size/model does SD need?
  11. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Swung by the dealer and got my tank. Yep, Moose, it's black.
    They were very keen to point out that this has just come off a brand new bike - not shipped out from Italy just for me.

So, questions:
    What the fuck have they been doing all this time (a total of 8 weeks) if it's come from local stock?
    What guarantee is there that this tank won't leak?
    Did the ACCC apply leverage in the end?

Still, I'm pleased to have it going again. Went for a quick fang to fill the tank and it pissed down heavily. Didn't bother me though.
  12. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now that the SWM is back on the road here’s the details of some of my mods:

Screen extender, complete with bugs. Made from some lexan using a hot-air gun. Held to original screen with 4 vacuum mounts.

[​IMG]

Barrett ‘zorsts. Aussie made quality.

[​IMG]

Toolbox Topbox ™ with a couple of SS handles from Bunnings. My wets live here when they’re not on the same rig on my Tiger.

[​IMG]

Replacement Tank strake thingies made out of polycarbonate again and hot-air formed. Painted black enamel on the inside. Just reckoned the standard ones were really naff.

[​IMG]
    cyclopathic, mrsdnf and CapeG650X like this.
  13. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its good to see the bike back on the road after such an extended period of time. Love the mods and thanks for posting them up. I'd never have thought of using suction cups to hold the extender screen on. May I ask where they came from.
    It looks like your missing a grommet from the pannier frames. I bought replacement ones from Clark Rubber. They had a straight shank on them but the larger diameter of the shank holds them in ok.
  14. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most certainly - from the home hardware aisle at Wonthaggi supermarket. They come in a pack of 6 with stainless steel wire hooks on the end that you just remove from the cup body. Drill the hole in the polycarb at the same diameter as the neck for the wire and then ease the cup into the sheet using soapy water and a screwdriver. Takes a bit of force and finesse but works just fine. It does help if you mount these while the original screen is still pretty pristine. The cup plastic will degrade before they lose vacuum - a couple of years down the track if the Tigger's install is anything to go by.
    Not sure which bits you mean Moose, the hard pannier deal had expired before I got my bike, and I took off most of the Givi mounting accessories so that I could use my Andy Strapz soft pannierz from the Tiger. Didn't want them wearing holes in the fabric.
  15. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The head light cover looks good Dave. I see Third Gear is out of tool kits.
    The grommet is off the pannier frame. Four a side.
    I made a couple of brackets up that bolted to the oem pannier frames that allowed the Third Gear soft panniers (with extended straps) to hang over and the top roll bag to secure to at the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spent Sunday starting this Avance 1928 tractor.

[​IMG]
  17. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More pics, more details please Moose!!!

[​IMG]
  18. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fitted Oxford Adventure heated grips. Had to get rid of the raised section on the throttle tube that stops the grip sliding into the throttle housing to slide the grip on further. Fits ok on the throttle tube with the grip cut to the minimum recommended length. Custom mount to go.
    Didn't like the way the wiring ran with it over the top so upside down it is.

[​IMG]
    AMGrrr likes this.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried if 8000A7575 fit on SD?
  20. cannonau

cannonau Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whats about the ABS sensor?
    The fastace fork has an other front brake callliper than the models with shiver 45.
    Anyway, the part number is different.