New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    My Fastace fork has compression adjustment fitted at the very bottom of the fork under a rubber plug standard. As delivered it was set at the maximum setting, set all the way in.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like the bottom right parts in the number 1 assembly. I can take a picture from my bike if you like.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  4. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the big round plug at the bottom is rubber and to get access to adjustment screw you need to pry it open?
  6. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. That is how my forks are.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  7. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heres a few pictures of the forks showing the compression and rebound adjusters on my bike.
    Firstly the fork cap.
    [​IMG]

The rubber plug on the base of the forks.
    [​IMG]

And the adjuster screw under the rubber cap. Mine were screwed all the way in standard. As the forks are rather harsh I've wound it all the way out.
    [​IMG]

While looking around underneath the bike like we all do I noticed that the rear suspension link had two grease nipples on it. The one on the far left (sorry for the blurry picture) was straight like the one on the right. There is no way this straight nipple could be greased as it sits directly above the exhaust pipe. The straight grease nipple was replaced with the 90 degree one as shown here. It can now be easily greased. You have to love engineers some times. :doh
    [​IMG]
  8. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heyyy - easy on the engineers there buddy! (Yeah, ok, so it is a bit naff, you're right.) I guess the right-angle ones are readily available? Thread size?

I decided to check my front damping setting following your comments and reset it from max to mid (7 of 14 clicks). Be interesting to see what they're like when I go for a fang tomorrow.

I had Paul fit heated grips when I bought the bike as I suffer the dreaded "white finger", but wasn't really blown away by the wiring job. I eventually completely redid it and made a splitter to feed the grips and my GPS at the same time.
  9. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The grease nipple on top of the exhaust is a bit like a PTO opening on a transmission with the cooler lines running straight past it. :doh
    Thread size is 6mm. With my manky fingers and the lack of room it was a hit and miss affair starting the nipple in the thread.
    Interesting that yours was also set on maximum. I dont believe that my forks have compressed more than half way. Its had a few hard hits and been on enough corrugated roads that it is well and truly settled in. Will ring around a few suspension joints and see if anyone has experiences with them.
    The standard wiring on the heated grips is a bit messy with cheap plugs but then it does have to fit lots of different styles of bikes. Now I know you have fixed your wiring I'll bring mine around. :-) I ran power from the standard accessory wiring. Where did your controller end up?
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny how many reviewers complained about a) forks being too harsh; b) having no compression adjustment.. suddenly all makes sense. MOM describes compression adjustment but there's no rubber plug mentioned.
  11. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers mate. That worked.
  12. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tested this again over the weekend a few times. Yes, the SDX has the Super Motard gears, not the TE wide ratio. At 5000rpm in 5th, it drops to 4600 rpm shifting to 6th. Those cheeky bastards! It's advertised as wide ratio which is dissapointing.
    I also would very much like to put a bigger sprocet on the back to shorten 1st gear. Unfortunately it'll buzz substantially more at 100 km/h.

Maybe us Melbourniens should get together and retro fit the parts to make ours wide ratio :-)
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it's SM gearing it's listed in MOM and on SWM site. Awhile back I had asked very same question from factory guys, why? they said "because it's better" - go figure. I'm guessing that with bigger footprint there will be not enough OMF at highway speeds.. maybe they felt there's more low end now with longer pipes who knows.

There's a guy in RS650R thread who wrote up on what it took to swap 2 top gears. It wasn't just 2 gears as splines changed IIRC.
  14. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    to be precise the RS650R has identical gear ratios to the Husqvarna TE630. Superdual swm has identical gear ratios to the Husqvarna SM650R. I hope I was clear
    cyclopathic likes this.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Pauli Hakala

Pauli Hakala Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Husqvarna iBeat Diagnostiikka SMR SM TE , Has anyone tried whether this swm superdual X , e.g adjust throttle position sensor ? Is that working in superdual?[​IMG]
  17. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worry I wasn't sure myself.

My bike was supposed to be built last week; this wait is killing me!
  19. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone put bar risers on their superdual, and if so gow did you go with the throttle cables. Were they long enough?
  20. panchogarrancho

panchogarrancho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made a set on the lathe of the original ones and stacked them,very inexpensive.
    Mine is a 2017 Euro 3 and cables don’t have much extra lenght