New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Pauli Hakala

Pauli Hakala Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experience with this Husqvarna Mikuni iBeat Diagnost. program TE SM 610 630 ,EFI-USB cable. It working SWM 300R, 500R, 650R, but who knows is it working swm superdual? Have anyone expierence for it?
    [​IMG]
    cyclopathic likes this.
  2. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Flip throttle upside down (plug drain hole with silicon), gives plenty of cable length.
  3. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Can a 16 tooth front sprocket fit in place of the standard 15 tooth sprocket.? The answer is yes. There is one downside though and that is the standard case saver cannot be reinstalled as flimsy as it is. At its weakest point it is 3mm in width and 4mm in thickness.
    According to one dealer their supplier did not have a 16 tooth sprocket and I did not want to back order it so bought this of Ebay. It came from the UK and cost $23.00 shipped to my door. Cheaper than buying local if I could have bought one. Beats me as GST is now paid on Ebay in Australia.
    The sprocket ID label.
    [​IMG]

And the sprocket installed.
    The clutch slave cylinder had to be slid out as far as it would go without taking of the fluid line. Top and bottom bolts only removed only. These two bolts had Loctite on them standard. The sprocket could then be slid off the shaft without removing the chain (no joiner link).
    [​IMG]

Standard gearing from memory was 6th gear, 100 KPH @ 4400 RPM (all speeds from the GPS).
    New gearing,
    100 KPH @ 4100 RPM 6th gear.
    106.5 KPH @ 5000 RPM 6th gear.
    100 KPH @ 5000 RPM 5th gear.
    DavAmb and cyclopathic like this.
  4. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a long back order wait my Bark Busters arrived. The ends of the SD bars are threaded which I was told needed a special threaded adaptor to allow mounting the Bark Buster's to the end of the bars.
    This is the threaded adaptors which screw into the ends of the bars. The end where the flat is machined is a 8mm threaded hole.
    [​IMG]

In the end I did not use these special adaptors. Reasons being is that they would of made the total bar width an extra 40mm and the bar mounting bracket for the Bark Buster would have interfered with the front brake line where it runs along the bar.

Picture showing the end of the bar without the special adaptor being used with the Bark Busters installed. The Standard split/taper bush does up fine in the handle bars.
    [​IMG]

This picture is showing the bar mounts. Everything fits like a glove. No bending or agro needed. The only thing I did was moved the master cylinder brake line down slightly for clearance.

[​IMG]

And finally enough time for a ride through the Cathedral Ranges and Rubicon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Abraham123

Abraham123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi.
    I have a question, I did a little research but didn't find the answer.
    The husky te610 had a problem with the strangth of the subframe. How are the swm rs650/superdual subframe compares?
  6. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Abraham,

from what I've heard, the subframe itself is ok, but the bolt that secures the subframe to the main frame is problematic: I've been told that it hasn't been torqued up enough duding assembly and comes loose and also that it's too weak and needs to be replaced with a high-tensile bolt. Pick one or the other, both or none. I'd be happy to hear confirmation or the truth.
  7. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    This cap screw through the pillion peg/sub frame should also have thread locker applied when torqued up,
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    RS650 has husky aluminum subframe and Superdual RS650T/X have heavier steel. Yes long bolt fixing subframe/rearset was failing on earlier bikes since then they started loctite it as fix.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  9. Abraham123

Abraham123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question so, if it's loctite then is it massive enough to carry 150 kilograms? Passenger + load?
    I want to have the ability, this is why I'm not buying the crf450l.
    I'm between the superdual x and pr7, the new versions of the old husky.
    Thanks
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loctite doesn't carry the weight; what was happening the bolts were getting loose and as soon as this happens it's end of story, period. You could say that this is design issue but many bikes have similar arrangements; if you have concern replace bolts with longer class 10 and put an additional locknut. And then there's a joke about Italian bikes and loctite you know.

With regards to a passenger not sure either of bikes is good for that; definitely not the best for 2up touring. With regards to PR7 vs Superdual both bikes seems to be based on TE630. Same engine, same frame. Looks like SD has better seals on linkage needle bearings but PR7 has more suspension, lighter and slightly smaller tank. Also Superdual almost 2" lower and cheaper.
  11. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @cyclopathic thanks for clearing things up regarding the bolt and subframe. Do we get to hear the Loctite joke?

@mrsdnf how are you finding the new gearing now you've had a chance to get used to it?
  12. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Jury is still out on the gearing as I've only had the one ride through the Cathedral ranges.
    If you were doing single track which I'm not or maybe loaded up most of the time I'd probably not do it.
    Out on the road with just me on the bike I like it.
  13. Abraham123

Abraham123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Of course I'm aware that this is not the best touring bike, but this is going to be my main bike, so I need the ability to carry some stuff or a passenger from time to time.

2. I didn't knew that the pr7 has the same frame.

I think I'll take a test ride on both. The weight is a big + for the pr7, because I'm traveling solo all the time, and I need the ability to gett out from difficult situations by my own.
    From the other side, the superdual seem like a more comfortable bike on the highway.
    Thanks a lot.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  14. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    M8x80mm long bolts holding subframe with rider, passenger and gear. I have one of the 1st SD's and got rid of passenger pegs and used shorter H.T. bolts from day one. If i was going to keep the rear pegs i would have drilled and tapped to 10mm. But having said that, those who have loctited and regularly checked bolts seem to be ok.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The subframe is different due to tank location but the linkage identical.. so seems to be main triangle and swing arm. Not sure if this is superficial, because it is based on TE630 or AJP buys components from SWM along with engine.

Yes PR7 is lighter, suspension and TFT dash. Unfortunately it is not street legal in US and +2" seat height is big for me. Published weight for PR seems to be inline with TE630. Where Superdual picked up weight is dual exhaust with catalytic converters, center stand, extensive engine guards and bash plate so ~40lbs/18kg+ is understandable to say the least.

IIRC Suzuki V-Strom has similar arrangement and it's never the problem I rode Dalton 2up no issues.. The welds on Motech racks did fail due to vibration. So probably supersizing to M10 isn't necessary.. just saying
  16. Abraham123

Abraham123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic & capeg650x, thanks for the quick response, informative answers, good knowledge. Thanks a lot , I'm appreciate it with all regards.
    CapeG650X likes this.
  17. CaptnineT

CaptnineT n00b

Oddometer:
    Received a call from my dealer today saying that there is a replacement oil filter available (for under the clutch cover) that will be changed over under warranty, at no charge.
    This is not a recall, but as some of the filters supplied up to now were disintegrating, SWM have changed the quality.
    CapeG650X likes this.
  18. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the same call. Its the oil screen under the clutch itself.
  19. Abraham123

Abraham123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another question. Are there any auto clutch kit, like rekluse? I'm used to this, but rekluse said that they don't have a solution to this bike.
    Thanks
  20. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, haven't heard anything from the dealer yet.