New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Who knows? They only told me about it as he rung me about another item they had in for me. He did mention that they were going to do the replacements in line with servicing.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This would be the place to start:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/630-rekluse.23143/
  3. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My GS mate has hassled me into going to Broadford in Aug for BMW's off-road training course level 1. 2 days training for $700, open to all makes, so I'll be lowering the average riding standards of SWM riders by taking the SDx.
  4. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the best on the course. I'm sure whatever you ride that it will be immensely rewarding. If I wasn't such a broken down old fart I'd love to do a course like that as well.
  5. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gotta keep trying to improve my woeful skill levels Moose. My first track day at PI was only last year and what an eye-opener that was! I learned soooo much - mostly about traction.
    When I started to ride back in the day, bike tyres were made out of bakelite and had a profile similar to that of a housebrick. Seemed like at the slightest mention of rain my bikes would suddenly give up any ownership of grip and hurl themselves and me down the road. The amount of grip we have these days in the foulest conditions craps on what we had back there in the best. I still ride like a granny though. 45 years of continuous bike ownership and riding hasn't cured me of some bad habits. I don't intend to be a Marquez or a Price, but I could benefit from more tuition to improve my confidence without sacrificing safety margins.
  6. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cant argue about the training. I'm waiting with excitement to see the mono's and stoppies being acted out after schools over. :clap
  7. Dewtwo

Dewtwo old trail rider! Supporter

Oddometer:
    SOOO,... Has the SD landed in the N. America yet?
  8. panchogarrancho

panchogarrancho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SWM USA says on FB page that they will be available on 6/30/19
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes they landed alright the bikes are already here just need to be shipped to dealers.
    EDIT:
    This has been posted on CafeHusky
  10. Dewtwo

Dewtwo old trail rider! Supporter

Oddometer:
    EXCITING!!!...Roadtrip in my near future!?!?..
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah Pamir hwy when visa gets sorted out

EDIT: btw first registered in US Superdual here.. anyone else?
    wisbadger likes this.
  12. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pulled the pannier racks off the bike and found a good rust spot. The rack mount tubes where they weld onto the sub frame mounts have a hole in them allowing the pannier mount tubes to fill up with water.
    I'm going to Silastic up the holes and drill small holes in the lowest point of the tubes to fix this problem.
    A picture showing the holes in the mounts either end.
    [​IMG]

I've been Toying with the idea of making a larger rack to replace the stock small item. This is Mk 3.
    iIts made from 12.7mm tube. Just need some 20mm angle to run underneath for the mounts to attach to and hopefully stop a bit of distortion when its welded up.
    Its 390mm wide by 350 long. It does not extend rearward as far as the standard carrier.
    The seat at the rear has been cut down about 20mm to allow the rack to sit lower than the standard item. I don't envisage ever carrying a passenger.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are my sacked assistants. Any guesses why they got sacked? :lol3
    [​IMG]
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    How's your linkage holding up? Isn't it similar to AJP in arrangement:
  14. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    @mrsdnf I was curious if you had a chance to look at it and if SD has the same problem 'cause I wasn't 100% sure from diagram myself. Both AJP PR7 and SD rear linkage based on Italyhisky arrangement; wouldn't surprise me if AJP buys swingarm/frame from SWM along with engine.

I will be flying to Italy and picking up mine in 1.5 weeks and then heading east; wouldn't wanna deal with it on the road. Of cause I shouldn't be dealing with mud for most part at least that's the plan. Still would be nice to know if there could be an issue.

Also I think someone fitted grease ports in linkage not sure if it was on SD or RS650.. or TE; can't find it now. If seals don't hold up being able to pump grease and flush contaminates is alot easier than rebuilding it on the road.. just saying.
  16. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic likes this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Noticed another wet spot under the SD last night. Bit of a heart stopper, but nope, not petrol - coolant this time. Quickly traced to a pipe from (or to) the water pump. The hose clip at the offending junction easily took another half turn without being a gorilla, so will see if that's made any impact when I check tonight. Will see if it's lost much coolant and get that topped-up.
    Don't mean to be grizzle guts, but it seems there's a fair whack of niggling little issues with these bikes that really shouldn't occur in this day 'n age.
  19. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe its just you and me?
  20. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine RS650 with 2 and half years and 12K doesnt have any off that (maybe the guy that assembled yours just sucks at his job :) ).
    The only problem i have now is that a stick took the stator wire grommet out the engine case, and altough i put it back some oil is getting out , and they dont sell just the grommet but all the stator :( ...