New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    I've been fortunate so far that the dealer has been very positive with me and I haven't really had any complaints so far.
    I've had a leaking waterpump on the SD and RS300R. Its the oring seals which are the issue.
    Faulty radiator cap. External oil line leaking from the RHS of the head. Loose hose clamp as Dave did above.
    All the above have been dealt with out any hassles.
    If I may add this is the same dealer Dave has had all the hassles with about his fuel tank.
    I'm really happy with the bike.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  2. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say that the AJP linkage setup has nothing to do with the SWM or Husky.
    The linkage parts are identical between the Husky TE630 and SD. All bearings have their own seals.

https://www.firstclassmotorcycles.c.../2011/te-sms-630/rear-cushion-lever#ficheZone

http://powerhousemotorcycles.com.au...erdual-x/19-rear-suspension-linkage#ficheZone

The swingarm pivots on the TE 630 and SD are also the same. I cant see any seals on the parts diagram. Saying that I have not heard that there was an issue with the TE630 swingarm bearings. Maybe the bearings have their own seals? I hope so.

https://www.firstclassmotorcycles.c...berg/2011/te-sms-630/rear-swing-arm#ficheZone

http://powerhousemotorcycles.com.au.../2018/superdual-x/18-rear-swing-arm#ficheZone

It sounds like you are going travelling as soon as you pick the bike up.
  3. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got to say that I really like mine too. I think it's a really great ride and am looking to get some off-tarmac miles under my belt after all these years of only riding on paved roads.
    I don't mind doing maintenance myself, but the fuel tank issue took a bit of the shine off things - something I wanted the dealer to sort and I'd thought would have been done promptly. I got bad petrol burns when trying to fix a fuel leak on my Cooper S when I was young and stoopid and did not want to relive those days.
    This coolant leak is nothing and all fixed now. I'll have a bit of a squiz over the rest of the bike for any other loose bits over the weekend.
    Hell, I might even give it a wash...
    mrsdnf likes this.
  4. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dirt roads are your friend for finding leaks. :-)
  5. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Indeed! I found Densley Road last weekend. I should chuck the GoPro on and vid a run along it.
    There's plenty more dirt to explore up in them thar hills back o' maison DavAmb.
  6. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    You must like the cold and mud. :D
  7. wvuhoops

wvuhoops Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SWM 650s uncrated and in the middle of PDIs and setups. Contact us here at Gearhead Junction in southwest Virginia, (we have the RS 500 in stock also) demo bikes available for serious buyers. Our sister company (gearhead moto tours) will take potential buyers on 1-2 day adventure/dualsport tours demoing the SWM, purchase the bike and the tour is free
    Give us a call, we want to earn your business.

Regards

Derek

540 787 5050

Attached Files:

muddy and cyclopathic like this.
  8. Tarmac Teaser

Tarmac Teaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've ordered the Koubalink Hl1 as I'm a short ass, just waiting for it's arrival. I know that panchogrranch fitted this to his superdual. Does anyone have a picture of where I need to file the swinging arm to get it too fit.
    I noticed that Cogz was fitting a wilbers shortened shock but there was never an update to show how it looked and he hasn't been seen on this thread which is a pity as this is my next option if the link doesn't work.
  9. Tarmac Teaser

Tarmac Teaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at blanking off the left hand (sitting on the bike) superdual exhaust and forcing the gasses out the right hand with a derestricted silencer. Do you foresee any problems with this approach. I would of course get the latest arrow map to suit.
  10. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    From memory someone in this thread has done what your thinking of doing.
  11. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G'day all, this machine has caught my eye in recent times as I eye up doing a little more long distance riding and getting off the bitumen so I can explore a little more of the expanse of Australia - potentially abroad when I learn how to save money.

I'm sure this has come up a few times over the 80+ pages of this thread however after sitting on a SD in the showroom (standard seat) I did have some concerns about the riding position for someone above 6 foot.

I stand at, before riding boots, 186cm (a touch above 6"1 for those who haven't seen the metric light). Would love some feedback from people of a similar height or taller with the bike, and how they've found riding and or mods they've made to make it a bit more friendly for those with slightly longer limbs.

Thanks in advance.
  12. panchogarrancho

panchogarrancho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bottom of the shock will hit on the extension cycle,mark it with red or blue marker and file it as needed
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think this guy below over 6" maybe 1" shorter than you
  14. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6', Comfort seat, Husky footpeg mod, Renthal hi bend bars = perfect.
  15. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd throw in cut back seat as well.
  16. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a tach on this bike?
  17. wvuhoops

wvuhoops Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes, multi function speedo that has a tach
  18. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. With the footpeg mod is that a cut and shut job or off the shelf part?

I unfortunately have limited access to a workshop to do cutting / welding at the moment.

Cheers.
  19. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Digital or lcd graph?
  20. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer: