New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just spent 10min sitting on the bike on Stelvio; section was temporary closed for Honda NSX commercial shoot. Tried to get off the bike a few times today; dropped early in the morning trying to open gates.

It isn't just load every bike has x2-3 more distance from COG to kickstand point. Yes load and my inseam make it more obvious, but the problem is there to begin with
  2. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you able to post a pic of your bike side on so people can advise if you got the shorter T or longer x model side stand? Then perhaps a pic of it parked so we can see if you have the rear suspension set too soft?
  3. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a T, then bought the X wheelset which included longer center and sidestands. I keep the shorter T sidestand on even with the 21"/18" wheelset because of the same reason.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  4. ratguzzi

ratguzzi Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So to be clear, the T sidestand is for sure shorter? I bought the Koubalink for my X and haven't installed it yet and was concerned about the kickstand. Although the OEM parts list seems to show only one choice.
    JB
  5. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @cyclopathic I had the same sidestand tipping issue with my Husky TE630 when loaded. I found adding a bunch of spring preload on the rear shock helped quite a bit. I also added a larger footpad to the bottom of the stand. I used UHDPE and it helps prevent wear on the swingarm that is common on the TE630.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 50% of the problem: I cannot fully unload suspension and be able to hook up stand due to 29" inseam. And leading angle of the foot triangle is catching up on ground if there's less than ideal conditions; I am going to grind it off and bend wire hook as soon as I get to tools. Will have to see what can be done about increasing foot.. being on the road puts constraints

Also I found when stand is catching on ground turning wheel left helps more than just leaning; opposite of most other bikes.

Did almost 700mi today from the bottom of Stelvio to Beograd, Serbia; needed to make up time so 100% highway. This bike has no business of being so good on highway as it is. Would not hesitate to do SS1K on it stock. Yeah it needs MRA vario deflector, yeah it could use bar snake yeah mirrors get buzzy at 90mph, RDL seat but it's smooth no more vibes than twins I had and it will happily sit at 80-90mph all day long. Moreover it will accelerate at those speeds if you ask.
    CapeG650X likes this.
  7. Tarmac Teaser

Tarmac Teaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    An early present to myself. I'll post how the mid pipe is after I fit it.

Early Xmas.jpg
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    @ cyclopathic. If you were caught doing 90mph here you would go instantly on the hoon list and post you up on the evening news. 700 miles in a day. Not a bad effort. Must have a tough ass. :-)
    @Tarmac Teaser. The two into one looks good. Interested in how it fits. Also the battery. Interested in if it helps kick the bike over quicker and how well it fits in the battery box.
  9. Tarmac Teaser

Tarmac Teaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The battery should fit perfect as i checked the size before ordering. It's a 360cca battery as opposed to the original 200cca so it should crank alot better.

Once fitted I'll let you know.
    Syanur likes this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speed limit is 130kmh and it's not strictly enforced so traffic is moving at 80-90mph sometimes faster.

BTW speedo is 5+% off at 80mph GPS indicated 84 and above +5mph. The worse she did was 46mpg I don't think any bike could do better in these conditions.

And yes it's not my choice need to see friend before he leaves
  11. Tarmac Teaser

Tarmac Teaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Superdual weight saving update.

This was always about saving weight and extra power was an added bonus.

In total my weight saving is 11.3kg taking the bike down too 158kg

The saving was made from the following:

Remove old silencers/mid pipes and heat shields = 9.8kg

Add new single silencer and custom mid pipe =1.9kg

Saving in weight =7.9kg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove old battery = 4.5kg

Add new lithium battery = 1.4kg

Saving in weight = 3.1kg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove old rear carrier = 0.9 kg

add custom rear carrier - 0.3kg

Saving in weight = 0.3kg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The exhaust change together with the new map has made a good bike now a great bike.

There is no hessitation below 2500rpm and the bike pulls cleanly through the rev range. There is also the added advantage of more power and it certainly revs quicker on pickup. It's too early to tell if fuel consumption has been affected.

Cost in Australian dollars.

Fake akro pipe $113 delivered of ebay.

Custom mid pipe in stainless steel $300

Delivery of mid pipe queensland to Wa $25

Lithium battery $189

Rear carrier $30 3mm aluminium chequered plate powder coated for free.

The good thing about the exhaust set up is it can be put back to standard very easily.

The pipe was made by Pipework techniques who make custom motorcycle exhausts. The work is outstanding and Noel is a true craftsman.

Noel has a jig already made so if you want the mid pipe contact him via facebook pipework techniques or look up has website which is based in queensland australia. Given that the australian dollar is so weak against the pound and US dollar this will probably be well worth your while to buy from Noel.

One final mention, many thanks to Mark Horsey who supplied the donor bike. Without his help it would never have happened,

The battery fits perfectly and it starts first time on the button without hessitation.
    exhaust 2.jpg exhaust 2.jpg exhaust 1.jpg exhaust 3.jpg
    daveongt, AMGrrr, DavAmb and 4 others like this.
  12. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Terrific report TT. Hows the noise level with the two into one? It looks like it fits like a glove.
  13. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got some goodies back from the powder coater's today. I have something to do on the weekend now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DavAmb likes this.
  14. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cyclopathic, i found both my SD and RS650R speedos not accurate to wheel size reading. You can set to different wheel sizes by holding reset button in whilst turning on key, then scroll through 17", 19" and 21". Again for my bikes 21" not accurate but 17" spot on!
    cyclopathic likes this.
  15. Tarmac Teaser

Tarmac Teaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The noise level at idle is louder but it disappears the faster you go. it now sounds like a thumper should.
    It was a tight fit and I had to remove the footrest hanger to get it on the bike.
  16. Tarmac Teaser

Tarmac Teaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked mine against my gps and the speedo was 2-3kmh faster than my actual speed. Most cars and bikes read fast which helps in not getting done for speeding in the nanny states we now live in.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  17. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could I trouble you to pm me the ebay link for that pipe? I'm still procrastinating but being able to drop that sort of weight is very appealing.
  18. Tarmac Teaser

Tarmac Teaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic, mrsdnf and Dr AT like this.
  19. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone removed the charcoal canister?
  20. ratguzzi

ratguzzi Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From Evolution Bike:
    Superdual X has this stand: F000P02258

Superdual T has this stand: F000P01017

Price 28 € tax excl. for both of them.
    cyclopathic likes this.