New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    I dont recall reading this happening before. Perhaps a bad connection from the battery somewhere?
    Under what circumstances does this happen?
  2. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just thinking out aloud. I wonder if the springs are coil binding?
    Since the oil, seal replacement and fork alignment they are a lot better than they were.
  3. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A good mate of mine just picked up a 2019 Superdual X and is loving it. He's a road-rider, new to the dirt. He was consiering a KLR 650 but I set him straight on that one. I said that for the money, the SWM Superdual is a bloody good package. I think he picked his up here in Oz with on road costs at < $10K which is impressive. I own a 2010 Husky 630 so I know the platform. I captured some of his riding on a recent VLOG :
    TheDan, phreakingeek, MotoSly and 5 others like this.
  4. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice video as usual Tori. Looks like you all had fun.
    Not sure I'd be so nice as to push Richard up hills like you did. :D
    Richard will have to post his adventures up here along with his mods. Noticed his screen extension went missing. Skimmed through the video due to time restraints so not sure if it was mentioned.
    I bought this bike with the knowledge that I'd have fun doing lots of mods to fix the 630 problems. Everywhere I've gone looking though the issues have been addressed.
    I hope he enjoys the bike as much as I have.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I said when overrevving engine happened again today when passing another car. Bike/instrument panel went dead the only way to bring it back is to turn ignition off/on. I can get it done without stopping while holding clutch in.
  6. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the vibration is affecting an electrical connection somewhere?
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very unlikely; the pavement was smooth and never happened on really rough stuff. Plus with ~4.3k/7000km engine is running really smooth.
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok. Hope you can get the problem sorted soon.
  9. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah we backtracked to find him (thought he had a mechanical) at 44.30 - and he was just stuffing it into his pocket - the extension rattled free.

I've told Richard to join advrider.com but he hasn't, yet. A lot of folks these days juse use Facebook and aren't so keen to use forums. I couldn't live without advrider.com

He's loving the bike. He should have sat on the bike and used a bit of clutch to get him up those steep bits; it's often harder to push the bloody bike. His tyres weren't ideal either, but he got through the day and had plenty of smiles.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  10. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't sold my soul to the devil yet, not on Facebook.
    I'm sure you'll twist his arm to join up.
    The flat land you were riding on at the start brought back good memories of riding around the back roads when I was a kid living on the farm between Bendigo and Echuca. We'd be locked up if caught doing what we did back then now.
    ToriMish and cyclopathic like this.
  11. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tip over sensor can be an issue, my RS650R has this issue atm (can't bump start, have to turn off/on), at 1st service will be downloading Arrow map which apparently voids tip over sensor (and i think sidestand switch on SD's?)
    cyclopathic and mrsdnf like this.
  12. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the Arrow map on mine and the side stand switch still works. Touch wood haven't had an issue with it.
    I wonder if cyclopathic's issue is tilt sensor or side stand? Good call CapeG650X.

Hope you get your problems sorted out.
    CapeG650X likes this.
  13. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    My thought on this was tip over switch but I'm not familiar with SWM's.....Yet......
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the idea! IIRC some Aprilias had that issue and Italyhuskies use the same setup.

I tried to get in touch with factory guys but they are closed all on holiday until 19th, another week.

And my bike is US spec so it possibly has a different map all together.
  15. EnduroAtul

EnduroAtul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys - i finally found an accurate weighstation to figure out my SWM's weight. I've been trimming a lot of parts and the bike now comes in at exactly 160 KG and that is *with* 14 litres of fuel and an Enduristan tankbag. So say 159kG with 14 Litres of fuel, which could mean (159 - 14 = 145 KG without fuel). Not too shabby. Of course, a lot of parts are gone. Here are the list of mods:

-- Arrow Exhausts (no DB killers)
    -- Lithium battery
    -- no windscreen, no engine guards, no foglamps, etc. I put in some Mad-Dog night lights
    -- no centerstand
    -- no sidepegs
    -- no rear rack (that baby was Heavy!). I use Enduristan Monsoon 3 soft panniers with two heat-shields on each exhaust
    -- Excel Alloy rims with TALON hubs (17" rear, 21" front, I also have an 18" rear rim that I'll fit soon). Talon engineering in the UK makes these wheels (about 520 quid/rim which includes the Hub, spokes and the rim). Not inexpensive but very cool and very strong. The rims are 21 x 1.85 front and 17 x 2.5 rear. The 18 x 2.5 rear will be fitted in the next few weeks.

The only drawback of the Talon Hubs is that there's no place to fit the ABS Ring, so no ABS and the speedo does not work. A bit of a bummer so if anyone knows how to make the speedo or computer work without the ABS-ring, your advise would be most appreciated.

Talon also makes sprockets for the SWM. basically its the Husky size that's part of the Talon catalog. I bought an extra front and rear hub and send it to Talon for sizing and they found an exact match, but without the ABS ring since the husky didnt have abs.

The bike is now as light as it can possibly get and an absolute blast to ride! will post pics. The rims/hubs are blue/gold front and silver/gold rear
    cyclopathic and mrsdnf like this.
  16. EnduroAtul

EnduroAtul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    here are some pics. New foam in the saddle as well, trimmed, etc.

Attached Files:

mrsdnf likes this.
  17. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice!
  18. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work EnduroAtul.
  19. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my non abs model, speedo works off magnet circliped to front disc.
  20. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    ABS model is the same.