New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm impressed with ABS unit; on stock Turances rodo stuff could not walk slick clay mud. Of cause not trying slide turns on loaded bike so no idea how it works in off-road mode.

On negative side my bike died again while passing 2 double trucks; now I just don't take any chances. Hopefully no trucks to pass tomorrow.
  2. ratguzzi

ratguzzi Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I have owned my SD X a little over a month. I added the Koubalink HL2 and that helped a lot with height. Had to grind on the swingarm a bit so the shock would clear. Just adjusted valves, pretty easy once you get there! I went with a loose .008 on exhaust and a loose .006 on the intake. Should be good for a while now. I did trim the black guards in front of the radiator to make removal a lot easier. I also removed the carbon canister and simply vent the tank on the handlebars like older dirt bikes and plugged the vacuum line. I will post pics later but I am trying a Moto Guzzi windscreen from a 2004 EV Touring. Surprised how well it works. Drilled holes to fit the brackets and the angles don't match so I heated the windshield with a heatgun until the plexiglass formed to the brackets. I destroyed the seat carving it for my return trip from Texas when I bought it but now have a replacement. I pulled the entire seat foam off and ground the bumps down so it's mostly flush and even. I found some 1/2" thick Neoprene rubber/foam that is water proof and laid it on the pan and it's actually comfortable. I will fill in the pockets of the pan then send it to my seat guy to make some cool cover for it. I bought Arrows right away and it hesitated at light loads so I bought the O2 sensor eliminator and runs well, mileage still good. Plug clean so maybe a touch richer.
    I plan to unplug the ABS and see if the speedo still works. If so, I will run brake lines direct from masters to calipers and chuck the rest.
    CapeG650X likes this.
  3. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Thats quite a few mods you have done ratguzzi. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. What did you do with the wiring from the charcoal canister?
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    @ratguzzi How many miles and how tight valves were? 5400mi on my T; haven't touched yet
  5. ratguzzi

Oddometer:
    I just unplugged it and all seems the same.
    Exhaust was .005 and .006, intake .004 and .003 at about 1300 miles.
    JB
    mrsdnf likes this.
  6. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks ratguzzi. What plug did you use to disable the O2 semsor?
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So where were you getting shims from? (I assume it's shim/backet)
  8. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, can anyone point me in the direction of the usb / charging socket they used it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
  9. ratguzzi

Oddometer:
    It was from England, I believe. A link from this thread a while back.
    JB
    mrsdnf likes this.
  10. ratguzzi

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic likes this.
  11. ratguzzi

Oddometer:
  12. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pictures ratguzzi. Nice work.
  13. wvuhoops

wvuhoops Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a general question for all the Superdual X and T owners out there about reliability. I work for a dealer in VA called Gearhead Junction, we have sold one X and its back in the shop after 350 miles with a fuel leak. Leaking from the fuel level sending unit gasket on the bottom of tank. Any other owners had this or similar issues with either the X or T models? I consider the fuel leak to be somewhat of an assembly flaw as the gasket appeared mis aligned and smashed. Would like to be able to prevent failures such as this in the future if my guys in the shop can fix small issues during PDI. What kind of feedback do you guys have for me?

Thanks
    Derek
  14. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. wvuhoops

wvuhoops Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply DNF, that is exactly the issue with my customers bike. Should have a new gasket tomorrow from Motoman, after reading the service bulletin I guess I need to fuel up completely the two 650s I have left, maybe catch another leaky tank before a customer does.
    innathyzit and Fitz Fortune like this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a small oil leak had to tighten a bolt on cover.. other than rack welded second time this morning and the issue with bike going dead after overrevving everything is fine.. maybe a few lost bolts. Will be closing on 6k tonight
  17. wvuhoops

wvuhoops Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cyclopathic

Are you the gentleman that contacted us here at Gearhead to buy a bike and pickup at the factory in Italy? If so, how is the trip going?

Derek
  18. Pauli Hakala

Pauli Hakala Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello! SWM Superdual x have the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor, which can be a standalone probe or part of the integrated Mass Air Flow sensor . I want To know what color wire is that air temperature sensor signal wire? There are 4 wire in plug.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it was me/say hello to Terry.

I'm having difficulty to get Russian visa resolved so far 5 weeks around East Europe.. in Croatia at present going towards Georgia. Friend of mine said there's a ferry from Azerbaijan to Kazakhstan hopefully will make to Pamirs before snow.

Does the X you sold have ECU flushed? If it's stock could you please see if it goes blank after hitting readline hard? thnx
    ratguzzi likes this.
  20. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is your rack breaking cyclopathic?