New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. L_Bomb

L_Bomb Strewth and blimey

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be surprised if they changed to a lower viscosity oil to help cold start cranking
  2. kimokk

kimokk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plus it’s full synthetic vice semisynthetic as before.
  3. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the only reason is cold start then no need to worry for using semi or full synthetic. I think its just about agreement with oil brand
    Rotax655 likes this.
  4. kimokk

kimokk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Especially with frequent 5000km oil changes!
  5. kimokk

kimokk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the redline RPM for this motor? The electronic dash is very limited in that regard.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC it's 7600? I'm having issues with bike complete shutdown (look posts above) after hitting limiter hard so test yours in safe place good luck
  7. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are there any aussies ( in particular victorians) who own T versions and are considering doing the x upgraded wheel thing? I've just bought an rs650 and will be fitting a rear cush drive wheel, but before I buy a complete " x kit" with front / rear wheels , centre stand etc I'm wondering if anyone is likely to be selling their T wheels ?

It looks like just a rear wheel is $600 , the whole kit comes in at $1200 - so I'd probably buy the complete kit if buying new but would definitely be interested if anyone has a spare cush drive rear

Ps if anyone is selling other rs bits, like a safari tank or seat concepts seat , barrett pannier racks - feel free to pm me.
  8. kimokk

kimokk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sent an email to motoman distributing , the US importer for SWM regarding this updates oil strainer. He said, according to the factory, all US models have the updated part installed! :clap
    cyclopathic and ratguzzi like this.
  9. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the filters are a strange story, mine 2016 rs650 at 14k as no problem with the filter. My guess (and its just a guess) is that the first rs650s had the filters left from the old huskys, and that swm must had to make new ones along the way and some of this ones were not up to standart, so new better ones were created (but as someone said swm was damn quick to react).
    My old te250 also has 2 mesh filters, at the begining i used to check them every oil change (500km) now i only do it every year and they are always very clean, so i guess its bit off over enginering :), and am also going this route with the swm, not going to check the internal one every oil change....
    Also i always start the bike on neutral when cold, big thumpers are hard to start and this helps (altough with the arrow map wich is less lean it starts easier)
    Syanur likes this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine got hard to start when in 1st; was an indication of clutch issue (loss of fluid) also clutch pack will catch up when isn't fully lubricated, so starting in neutral should be alot easier.

And starting map is very rich and causes carbon buildup and if you didn't start it right away or started and killed engine before it warmed up fully it will be hard to start.. and it doesn't like crappy gas
  11. kimokk

kimokk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done the 20,000km service yet, e.g., the timing chain replacement?
  12. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Who suggests the timing chain needs replacing at 20,000 Km?
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is in maintenance schedule in manual

I posted about this several months ago
  14. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wont be replacing mine.
    Syanur likes this.
  15. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    cyclopathic likes this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC it's there from TE-610 era with suicidal design and redhead huskies didn't have problem. The issue was attributed to adjuster and fitting manual or one from DR woa the fix.

630 apparently didn't have issue and TE630 owner reported no measurable wear at 15k.. of cause question becomes how is this relevant to SD. According to the factory guys most suppliers especially for engine components stayed the same.. and timing chain is very robust looking on par with what used in other bigger displacement bikes. Other than that I don't think there's any SD with 20000km yet; mine most likely will be the first with 8600mi as of this morning.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  17. thetenthplace

thetenthplace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    15k miles and in for service next week will report back!
    mrsdnf and cyclopathic like this.
  18. kimokk

kimokk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a good lead on a US insurance company that provides physical damage coverage on SWM motorcycles?

Apparently Progressive does not! They told me since the SWM is not on their list they have no history of claims and therefore cannot provide any coverage other than liability! However, SYM (a Taiwanese company) is on their list!
  19. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    part number 8C00H0897 provides a silent "Morse" type chain different from the roller chain installed on the TE610. with this type of "morse" chain I have covered almost 180,000 km with my Pegasus 650 without ever having to change it.

Morse Silent Chain

One of the most popular timing system for young people 4-stroke engines is one of the best manufacturers of these chains.

The characteristics of the Morse Silent Chain are:
    - precision and smoother transmission of power,
    - excellent wear and fatigue resistance,
    - low power lost,
    - light weight and overall dimensions, low noise and affordable, when it delivers power at some speed rotation higher up to 12000 rpm.

The whole Morse Silent Chain range features the exclusive ‘M’ specification. Advanced heat treatment. The imprint of wear and fatigue resistance, which is the minimum elongation of the chain even in the case of poor lubrication or other heavy working conditions.

The Morse Silent Chain for motorcycle engines are manufactured by Japan by Borg Warner Morse TEC, the world leader with more than 90% of market share
    cyclopathic likes this.
  20. kimokk

kimokk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Rotax655 did you mean part #: 8C00H0987 ? Looks like the 9 and 8 were transposed.