New Tires for 1200GS LC

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by TuefelHunden, Sep 27, 2016.

1. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have searched the forum without much luck, but am probably not asking the right key words. I am a 100/0 road rider. I love GS's on the road. I had a 2011 and used Anakee's and they were fine. My 2016 has the initial Anakee III's. Excellent tire but are getting close to end of tread life. Any recommendations on a good handling road tire for the GS with decent tread life? Just want to try something new.
    ErikMotoMan and Bikerboy108 like this.
  2. toddhollander

toddhollander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also ride 100 % on road, either in sport bike mode or touring two up, and I just switched to Michelin Pilot Road 4s.
    The bike is much smoother and quieter compared to the Anakees and I love the grip on road, beautiful turn in and the bike seems to even track better mid turn.
    Only have 600 miles on them so far, can't comment on mileage. I got 4600 out of the Anakees (rear)
  3. superspeed123

superspeed123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am using Michelin Pilot Road 4 trail on my 15 GSA now. Tire are very good in dry and wet. Much better than Anakee 3 . Bought a set of Metzeler latest Roadtec 01 and will fix it in a few months time. 100 percent road rider.
  4. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
  5. Jcpete

Jcpete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also ride mainly roads like you do and have found that the Continental Trail Attack 2's are my favorite road tires. The more mileage you get on the Anakee 3's the louder the high pitch noise. Even though I still had tread left on the Anakee's that came on the bike I switched to the Continentals at about 8,500 miles because I could not stand the noise. I have had 2 sets of the trail attack 2's and get between 12,000 and 13,000 miles on them. I rode 300 miles in heavy rain on my last trip off 3 700 mile days and never had a problem. Everyone has their own favorite tires and these are mine.
    ErikMotoMan and qman8 like this.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    So far I really like my Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tires. Not at all trail tires, despite the name:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am also a 99% road rider.
    bitoy, The Opa and Mr. Clean like this.
  7. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run Pirelli Angel GT's on my FJR and like them a lot. Plan is to try a new tire for each new change. I've run PR2's and PR3's and liked them on my previous non-GS bikes. Never tried the Continental's since my Kawi Z1 almost 40 years ago LOL.
    Thanks a lot guys.
  8. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    PR4 front. PR4GT rear

These are strictly road tires. Fine in dry smooth dirt. They suck on gravel.
    nrp likes this.
  9. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    All tires suck on loose gravel...

:photog
    Mr. Clean, ydarg, ErikMotoMan and 2 others like this.
  10. stuarthw

stuarthw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like a poster above the rear Anakee 3 lasts only 4500 miles. Hmmmm

I also find they are trusted in wet or dry and much prefer them to the Pirelli Scorpion.
    Will also move to the PR4 next week.
  11. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    My new favorite road tire for the GSW.
    The Opa likes this.
  12. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    Michelin Pilot Road 4 trail ... Ditto
    runnerhiker likes this.
  13. Desmofan

Desmofan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, Shafted and I ran Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's at a Laguna Seca track day, they stuck like glue :jive

Ed lean 2.jpg
    simmo1, CO303, ErikMotoMan and 3 others like this.
  14. path_finder

path_finder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on that. I had Anakees previously but the Scorpions are a much better road tire.
  15. MarkM

MarkM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me the Michelin Pilot Road 4 is the gold standard for street tires. I have not had them on my GS because I ride off road, but they were perfect on my previous bike, an R1100RS.
  16. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    They probably WERE like glue at those speeds/temperatures!!!!!???? Got pics of them after the track day??

And I'm surprised you left the mirrors on!!!???!!!
    Shamone likes this.
  17. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic sometime after a few sessions. Pretty gummy tire.:D I kept my mirrors on as I had my camera mounted on the mirror stalk.
    [​IMG]
    bitoy and simmo1 like this.
  18. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Anakees 3 GREAT TIRES ...stick like glue 5,500 on the rear
  19. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Not as shagged as would expect..!
  20. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    image.jpeg 100 % road use, installed Dunlop Trailsmart tires. Tested on 100 miles of gravel road. Just to see how they would perform. They are brand new on the market, I like them. A lot, for these reasons:

Here's my observations on the new Dunlop Trailsmart tires, compared to Michelin Anakee 3. These are, of-course, personal observations, not empirical data.

1) Quieter.
    2) I got 7500 miles of entirely on-road miles out of the Anakee. The Trailsmart now have 5500 miles on them and it looks like I will get another 3000 miles out of them.
    3) Trailsmarts track surprisingly straight and stable on gravel. This includes aggressive acceleration from 30 mph to 80 mph with traction control turned off.
    4) Tread pattern is visually attractive. You'd be surprised how many riders notice that.
    5) Great grip and traction on asphalt while carving canyons.
    6) Great braking characteristics under max threshold braking: doesn't squirm, feels solidly planted
    7) Slow speed maneuvering: I participated in Police Sergeant and Motor Officer trainer Ryan Austins class on slow speed control. Full lock turns and figure 8 maneuvers where easily tackled with full confidence.

8) I was thinking I might have a problem with my wheels or valve stems as I had a constant slow leak with the Michelin Anakee 3. Tire pressures would drop at the rate of +/- 2 psi per week. There were no punctures in evidence.
    After installing the Dunlop Trailsmart tires, air pressure has been maintained with pressure drops of +/- 2 psi per month.

In short, I like the Dunlop Trailsmart a lot.
    g r a n t and pavelp like this.