New Titanium II Sprockets on the GX

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Trailace, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Trailace

Trailace Dumb Ass

Oddometer:
    I installed the Sidewinder 50 tooth rear and 15 front sprockets today. The rear sprocket is the 100-7201T-50 Titanium II guarantee for life.
    [​IMG]

The front is also Titanium II guarantee for life 103-621-15.

As you can see here the new rear sprocket is over a pound heavier then the OEM but the front is about the same.

I went with the 50 on the rear and 15 front to help with chain wear. You will also need longer tapered sprocket bolts and a longer chain if you plan on running 15/50-tooth setup.

[FONT=&quot]I did have one issue with the install but a quick call to the nice people at Sidewinder and all is well. Here is the deal, I sent them an old rear sprocket off the GX and they matched it up to one that they stocked. When I put in on the hub it look like a perfect fit until I tried to install the sprockets bolts. They were off a little and 2 of the 6 bolts were hard to install. Not wanting to force them I made the call and was told to just drill the holds out one size.
    The sprocket holes
    are 11/32 so I drilled them out to 23/64. [​IMG]

[/FONT] The drill bit I used was cheep and had a hard time going through the Titanium. After drilling all the holes the sprocket bolts slid right on.
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

I'll take her on a test ride tomorrow if I have time.

Krause Racing's Sidewinder Products

2. toofast4uu

toofast4uu adventurer

Oddometer:

I just burnt my sprockets up on this weekends 1200 mile ride. I was all set to order the sidewinder replacement sprockets, and realized there's no way I'm spending $367 for the chain and sproket package!!

I'm not buying that lifetime guarentee. I believe in replacing these annual at the minimum...

Now here's my question, any chance they mentioned the bikes that they cross reference these sprockets to?

If I can get the cross reference, maybe I'll be able to use the Renthal systems that I've been using for years.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work, added to the Index :thumb
  4. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Update on the Krause Sidewinder sprockets, I put them on my X-Country and wasn't real happy with the whole having to drill it out, and then the bolts "rock" a little in the hole when you torque them down because the holes are off center. Alex at Sidewinder had me send them my original and they tweaked the math and now make a perfect fit sprocket, all holes line up. :thumb for making it right and standing behind their product.

I gave out a bunch of their fliers out at the AMA Hanging Rock 200 and heard from a lot of cross country and hare scrambles racers that raved about how you could go years and years racing on the same set. Good stuff. If you don't believe they can work, go find someone who has used them and talk to them. If you think they are too expensive, how many $75-90 sprockets will it take to equal the price?
  5. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting up some experiances with these spockets , I think they are in my future. In a related topic does any one know conclusively which sprocket combos are better for wear? Other than a larger front maybe for less of a bend. Can't remember where but something about the same link connecting with the same teeth. Any links to a chart or article? :ear Guess maybe with life time warrenty one shouldn't worry.
  6. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    In an ideal world, you should always increase the size of the front instead of reducing the back to avoid the tight bend as you said. In practical application, use a 15t+ C/S. You also don't want the sprocket be a direct multiple of the C/S. So no 14/42, 15/45, 16/48 etc.
  7. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:
    I got one of their spockets a few weeks ago and the holes did not line up.......I sent it back.........has this issue been fixed in the last couple of weeks?
  8. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Talk to Alex, he just sent my replacement out about a week ago.
  9. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lukas!
  10. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:

I thought they were supposed to be lighter??
  11. metlcutr55

metlcutr55 LongGoneDaddy

Oddometer:

ive heard that before. why?

12. johan

johan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it is a direct multiple, let's say 3, the same link on the chain will wear on the same spot on the sprockets every 3 revolutions. To get a more evenly distributed wear pattern, you should maximize the smallest common denominator between the two sprockets.
  13. metlcutr55

metlcutr55 LongGoneDaddy

Oddometer:
    thanks, i kinda figured that out after a bit. i guess i dont question the theory, but considering chains stretch fairly quickly and sprockets lose their form quickly also, i still question the practicality of it. i would bet tight chain, dirty chain, or out of concentric or true sprockets would have a much greater effect.

14. jehu

jehu ∩HƏſ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't we be concerned with the number of links in the chain also? Let's say, as an extreme example, the distance between sprockets was 20 feet and the sprocket combo was 15/45. It's going to take more than three revolutions for the entire chain to return to where it started. It seems like the number of links in the chain would also need to be a direct multiple of one or both of the sprockets (90 or 135) for the uneven wear to occur.
  15. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Steel is heavier than Titanium and Titanium is a LOT heavier than Aluminum but is still lighter than steel.

1010 Steel = .28 lb/in^3. A 1"x1"x12" bar would weigh about 3.4lb.

6-4 Ti = 0.16 lb/in^3. A 1"x1"x12" bar would weigh about 1.9lb.

6061 Al = .09 lb/in^3. A 1"x1"x12" bar would weigh about 1.1lb.
  16. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the original sprocket was aluminum?

I was thinking it was steel.
  17. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff Supporter

Oddometer:

Why is that? :ear
  18. Trailace

Trailace Dumb Ass

Oddometer:
    The original bolts will be a little short and will not allow the lock nut on the bolt all the way. To be safe I went with longer bolts.
  19. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    If anyone is running the Sidewinder with the holes that didn't line up before they fixed it and drilled the holes out beware! My bolts were deformed and stretched from being in the hole at an angle and the nuts were working lose, even with locktite!
  20. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    In my opinion they are a rip off. I run a set of their sprokets and chain. They didn't last any longer than my steel sprockets did. I thought no bigg deal I'll still get free sprokets for life right? nope not really. You'll get a free sproket but there handling fees are the same as a replacement from anyother company. Nothing is as it seem in marketing. They have an unbelieveable story and they are making big money selling snake oil. They said that i did not use the stock sproket size that cam on my bike and therefor I had a higher handling charge. Never mind that it took 3 months to get me a replacement so I still had to buy a sproket while waiting. Not worth it to me. they took me once, no more
    ArcticRider likes this.