New to a TransAlp 600

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Old-n-slo, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Old-n-slo

Old-n-slo Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer:
    I'm an old guy new to Transalps. I have traveled a lot on a 650 KLR and some old BMW's and don't work anymore, so I get to go to far off places and ride.

Last year I put my hands on an XL600V in Lithuania with about 40,000 km on it. It was a trade for the use of an old KLR650 for a trip to Prudhoe Bay at the top of Alaska. The owner says it's a 1986. I thought '87 was the first year.
    I rode the TransAlp to Nordkapp and then spent a few weeks exploring the fjords of Norway and came back around to Lithuania via Denmark, Germany and Poland. The bike has spent the last 12 months in a barn and I am flying back over to give the guy some money for it and head south to the Alps and explore eastern Europe.

So, I've ridden some on a TA but really don't know squat about the bike other than its iconic cult status in the U.S. I really liked it for the kind of rising I do, especially after a number of years on and off road on a KLR thumper.

Last year, I spent about 10 days trying to get the TA to run right before I left. Some of that was new tires, chain, sprockets , etc., and some was a pesky intermittent fuel starvation problem. Hard to understand since a month earlier it had been ridden in a 6-day enduro! Turned out increasing the float level a bit solved it and I had 6 great weeks riding.

So, I'm flying to Lithuania in 2 weeks and I've started reading the forum. What should I be concerned about?

I asked the owner about the CDI. He had not heard of an issue and said the one on the bike has been functioning for the last 15 years that he has owned it. If the seat is not interfering with the connectors, am I okay or is the recommendation to buy a spare CDI ($$) to carry along. (And do I need 2?)

What else would you check over on such a machine? Owner says he has cranked it over and started every once in awhile and ridden around the neighborhood, but it has been pretty dormant for a year.

Attached Files:

2. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Rec/reg are known to cause high voltage problems which kill batteries and wiring. Mine was charging at 18 volts when it wasnt working properly. Easy fix with the new ones from a Yamaha R1 if I remember correctly. Never any problem after that. Mine was a 86 model as well. The mufflers are extremely heavy and worth replacing just for the weight reduction. Other than that, mine was trouble free.
    Old-n-slo likes this.
  3. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Besides the R/R and it's connector melting from bad connection and increased resistance, CDI's have been known to fail. I carry two but haven't needed them. These are older bikes and stuff happens. You'll be in the right area for spares if something happens....lots of them in Europe.

If you need help, this is a good resource... https://advrider.com/f/threads/show-us-your-transalp-modifications.39170/
  4. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: