New to ADV riding, Tenere 700 or Africa Twin?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by ADVoldie, May 6, 2020.

1. ADVoldie

ADVoldie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m new to the ADV world, I’ve always been more of a motocross guy. I’d say the majority of my riding will be on pavement but I’ll be looking to get off road as much as possible. I put money down on the new Tenere 700 but i still don’t know when it’ll be available in the US. SO do I wait or get an Africa Twin. I’m only considering these two bikes. Any help would be appreciated!
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  2. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I LOVE my 2016 Africa Twin but if I had my choice again I would go for the Yamaha. Nothing bad I can see about it. Lighter, more nimble and all round good performer.

The only downside would be not having the DCT which I love in the dirt and before anyone chimes in that's its not a real bike without a clutch, I have two other 'real bikes' thank you very much so I do know how to ride!
    RoyQ, lithodave and ADVoldie like this.
  3. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

Big adventure bikes are not really a good newbie bike..

Go try a 1290 sar
    ADVoldie likes this.
  4. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    I don't think you could go wrong with either one. The main factor I would consider is weight. If you really think you are going to go off road then weight is something that should play a big factor in your decision.

I used to take my KTM990 off road all the time. Problem was I could only pick it up 3 times before I was so drained that if I had dropped t again I would have been screwed. I have a Yamaha Super Tenere now (don't go off road) and I am considering the same as you.

Since the AT has been out for a few years it is safer to say all the bugs have been worked out, cant say that for the T7.
    jojitsu and ADVoldie like this.
  5. zoo

zoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hands down, T7, best of both. You have motorcross history, you will be drawn to the dirt roads, T7 better for that. cheaper, more agile, dependable as all git", cheers.
    ADVoldie likes this.
  6. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I currently have a DL650 that is 100% street, well save for dirt driveways and parking lots.
    I have an R100gs that’s set up for my dirty work and a vintage trials bike and a Honda CRF230 that’s been dual sported. Just so you see where my perspective is coming from.

me, I am looking at the Honda mostly because of DCT and my failing clutch hand, and it’s more dirty than the 700 they sell with the DCT.

but the Yamaha is a right cool bike. I spent some time looking at it at the last motorcycle show.
    I like that it’s more dirty than the DL650, it’s decent looking and it has a decent level of suspension and bits on it.

I don’t think anyone would go wrong with either bike but from the OPs description I’m thinking the Yamaha might be a closer fit for their riding.
    lithodave and ADVoldie like this.
  7. Frankenbuffer

Frankenbuffer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have done 48,000km of dirt ADV across North America on my WR250R but bought a new 2019 AT last summer to be able to ride the highways faster and more safely. Added skid plate, racks, etc. for ADV. But as much as I liked the power, it was far too heavy and fat for offroad, and the fiddly body work and laborious servicing (eg air filter) killed my interest. Sold a few months later and put deposit on the Tenere 700 which is on track to arrive this month. Still have the WRR. Loaded up with my camping gear the Tenere will weigh same as AT naked.
    Jedi2Rider, tex68w, zoo and 2 others like this.
  8. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    T7 for the win

I got myself a 390 adventure.
    muddy and LouisPK like this.
  9. JulienAT

JulienAT Om nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    I got an Africa Twin as my first bike and I love it so I'm biased. I'm also sure the Tenere is amazing too. However, there's rumors floating around that Honda is coming up with an 800cc Africa Twin soon. Might want to hold off a bit and see what's the deal with that!
    tex68w likes this.
  10. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should own both as soon as the T7 arrives stateside. Currently have a 2017 AT DCT and have no plans as of right now to sell it once the T7 arrives. I have a lot of setup money in my AT and I have it right for me. i could never recover half of what I have in it. Plus I really like the DCT version.
  11. FD919

FD919 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first ADV bike was my 2016 Africa Twin DCT. I've love it but now that I've been riding offroad for a couple years with it I am looking for something smaller to add to the fleet. I have no problem riding it offroad but don't do anything to crazy unless I'm with a group of people who can help pick it up. After 5-6 times of picking it up I get pretty wore out and some of my adventures have resulted in me dropping the bike a dozen times in a day, lol.
  12. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Welcome to ADV Rider

Well,
    You waited this long for the 700,
    might as well wait some more and get a brand new bike.

Cheers.
  13. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Part of my riding readiness is an Advil when I start in the morning and a couple in the tank bag if I think I will be picking up anything with more than 1 cylinder . :fpalm
  14. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lighter is better. T7
    MCGMB likes this.
  15. rhicks

rhicks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    T7 all the way. Utah and Colorado back roads just scream Tenere.
    jbc and Jedi2Rider like this.
  16. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize there was a choice. One is available at your local Honda dealer and the other isn't available in this country.
    neanderthal and tex68w like this.
  17. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    If you are keeping your Mx get the AT. One thing that gets left out of the conversation is how fun road riding can be. I went from the 250 world and two lane twisty paved highways are fun.
  18. tex68w

tex68w Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've owned the AT and I am currently waiting on the T7's arrival like most everyone here. The new 1100 AT dropped a lot of weight from the previous generation but it still outweighs the T7 by 50+ lbs. If you prefer the dirt then I'd shoot for the T7 but if you plan to slab it 60% of the time or more then the AT is a viable option. Like most, I am quickly growing tired of the wait for the T7 (which I fear could go even longer now) but I've come this far so I am going to continue to wait.
    ADStryker likes this.
  19. ADStryker

ADStryker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The AT will be better on pavement and better with a pillion, but also pretty good in the dirt (for a big bike). The T700 should be better in the dirt, but also apparently a lot of fun on twisty roads. Depending on options, a new AT could be close to $20k USD. The T700 should be closer to $10k USD. I've been reading a lot about the reception of the T700 in Australia, and it seems to be a big hit there. Since it's your money, I say buy the T700 and farkle the hell out of it.

If you want to ride now, buy a used AT and see how you like it -- you can probably sell it in a year without losing your shirt on the deal.
  20. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All good info, but also consider....
    You can get a NEW 2018 AT for less than you'll be able to get a T7 for the foreseeable future.
    LakeRat and neanderthal like this.