New To Adventure Bikes

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cyrider, Jul 8, 2019.

1. cyrider

cyrider n00b

Oddometer:
    I’ve been thinking about moving to an adventure bike for about the past year. I just returned from a 3000 mile trip through Colorado and seeing all the dirt roads and mining roads that I couldn’t take my Harley down has pushed me to deciding the time is now. I need some input to help me find the right bike. I’m looking for a bike that I can still do 700-800 mile days on pavement on, but can pack a fishing pole with my gear and go down dirt roads, fire roads, etc with out worrying about the bike. I don’t intend to get into much single track type of stuff or real advanced trails, but I did race motocross and ride dirt bikes for 15 years so I’m not afraid to hit the dirt.

Im really considering a new V-Strom 1000xt adventure or a 3-4 year old BMW 1200GSA. Im not opposed to an Africa twin or super adventure, but I don’t know if the AT would be ideal for the long long days in the saddle and I worry about the KTM dealer network. I’m a bigger guy at 280, so need to take that into consideration when I make my choice, and I also want to be able ride two up as my wife enjoys going on trips with me.

Any input from the group on what might be my best option? I’m leaning towards the Suzuki because of reliability and costs, but will this bike be suitable for what I want? Also, I have never had a bike in the shop for work before as I have always done everything my self in my Harley’s and dirt bikes including everything from oil changes to motor rebuilds. Will I be able to do most everything on the V-Strom or the BMW or will the BMW require specialty tools and thing to work on?
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  2. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Super Tenere, it won’t see the shop
  3. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    IMHO.....BMW dealer network is not much better than KTM. Many states do not even have a dealer, and they are usually around the more populated areas. You may be able to do the repairs/maintenance...but you still need parts. Will you be happy sitting in BFE several days waiting on parts?
    V Strom 1000 or Super Tenere for reliability and dealers.
  4. cyrider

cyrider n00b

Oddometer:
    I guess I was assuming that all the talk about the “bmw reliability will leave you stranded” was kinda like the “Harley’s will leave you stranded” talk. Way exaggerated. I’ve put around 100k on Harley’s in the last ten years and have never had a bike leave me stranded. When looking at used BMWs I see a bunch of them out there with 50k on them, so didn’t think they would actually be that unreliable.
  5. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Didn't mean they are unreliable.
    But, they are made up of many parts.....and something WILL fail at some point. That's when you need a dealer.....the closer the better. And where BMW fails to deliver.
    With a HD.....distance to a dealer isn't much of a concern.
  6. woollybugger

woollybugger Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 1000 V-strom and love it. But I ride it exclusively on paved roads. It's pretty heavy, and I'd be worried about riding it in dirt. I also have a KLR650 which feels a lot lighter, and rides well in all kinds of terrain. I have no problem with dropping and picking it up. The KLR is fine on the highway, but there is a very noticeable power deficiency compared with the V-strom.
  7. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    OP,

Thanks for the descriptive first post.

Out of the two bikes, the 2014+ DL1000 is good to go, and my recommendation.
    The 2013+ RGS started with liquid cooling. And 87 octane. She is the flag ship BMW bike and gets the best quality.

The 2014+ S10 really fits your description.

___
    The AT has lots of suspension travel and is really made for more aggressive fire roads.
    I do not know much about the Super ADV from KTM.

___
    Here you go:
    Over the years, I trust this guy the most. This will get you started.
    The bike has changed some since 2014, but only with leaning ABS and some electronics (linked rear and front brakes.

8. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    Everything you said screams Super Tenere. Great long distance bike (shaft drive, great mpg and range, reliable, comfortable, cruise, etc.) and also super stable and easy to ride on mild dirt roads.

Only when you try to treat it like a "dirt bike" does it's weight start to become an issue. This would apply to any of the large ADV bikes though.

A bonus is that they can be found relatively cheap.

twinrider and Maverick2076 like this.
  9. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    V strom 1000 or Tenere would do great with what you described. Heavy adventure bikes will need aggressive tire choices to be rough road capable. Because when things get hairy you won't be manhandling them. And keeping out of trouble in the first place is much easier without cussing the street oriented tire delivered on something.

I bet you will LOVE ADV style with the right choice in bikes.
    The_Precious_Juice and BaldKnob like this.
  10. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    DAE6487C-4483-4641-8DE4-4970C4CD0F73.jpeg
    Load it up... it can take it.
    twinrider and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  11. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    The Africa Twin is easily capable of long days in the saddle. I've done nearly ten Iron Butts [=1000miles in 24hours] (or near) and only one of them was a "i'm doing an iron Butt today" ride. The rest were just rides I had to do (McKinney, Texas to Anthem, AZ for instance.)

But from your size the Super 10 might be a better bet.
  12. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The V-Strom 1000xt will do the job you describe -- it's a great choice. Ands it's the very first one you mentioned so I think you agree.
  13. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Africa Twin is a great bike, but it is sorely undersprung (soft) for me, and i’m 185-ish! At your size, and only for that reason, I don’t think it’s a great choice for what you want to do. I can’t comment on BMW, but the Super Tenere is a fantastic all day mile muncher, and isn’t bad off road either (dirt roads and such, not motoX!).
  14. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Agreed, AT has a soft suspension for the OP's weight and other requirements.

For someone like me who is 185lbs with all kinds of rider gear on, and strictly 1UP, I would get the DCT AT.
    I do not have the skills and years of experience. Plus, I'm not into wheelies and jumping logs (can't do well with the DCT). I would rather just cut logs with a hand saw. Lastly, the wheel base of 61"+ amd 21" front is fine for highway drowning, and would not be a negative for twisty roads. I'm not into scraping pegs.

If the rumored CRF850L came with a DCT trim, I would be even more interested.
    neanderthal likes this.
  15. HeliMark

HeliMark Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You do understand that one reason there is a lot of BMWs with that mileage (or less), is a good number of the owners trade them in before the warranty expires (3 yr/36K). Yamaha is 1 year, unlimited mileage, but for about $400, you can get an additional 4 years of factory unlimited mileage.

I have the S10, and for what you are saying, it would be the best. Between it, and the AT, the AT has better chops for off road, and the S10 for on road, although it does well off road for what it is. Shaft drive, cruise control, can carry a lot of weight well, does really well in high crosswind highway riding, means to me, mileage cruncher.
  16. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Suzuki would probably be fine but the Yamaha Super Tenere (2014+) fits your requirements the best. It will run forever and is super comfortable for long days in the saddle. There is a reason most folks in this thread have tried to steer you in that direction.

Reliability and costs = Yamaha, and not BMW.
  17. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the extra 200cc from the S10 , shaft drive, and Tonka Tuff durability of the Candy Yams is excellent.

They built a better RGS, it's just that hp sales bikes for folks who have money. So Europe checked out on Japan after 2014.

Here is a fair review of the 2012 S10.
    This guy does not do reviews anymore.

18. cyrider

cyrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input guys! I went to test a V-Strom yesterday after work but the local dealer doesn’t have one, and never even ordered one for this year. I’m going to try and ride the Yamaha tonight if the yam dealer has one. I’ve done some looking and I think I can find a new leftover s10 for a pretty good deal if I’m willing to drive a bit.
    twinrider and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  19. fireman9170

fireman9170 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got my first ADV bike and Im not 100% sure I bought the one for me. I am considering selling my Africa Twin and getting a GS
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Hello Tidewater Virginian.

Welcome to ADVRIDER.

I guess the big difference in the two bikes are
    1. HP. Assuming it's a RGS.
    2. Road handling. The GS is better. Assuming it's a RGS.