New To Adventure Bikes

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cyrider, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently own both a Vstrom 1000 and an Africa Twin.

Was planning on selling the Vstrom after I bought the AT, but the Vstrom is so much better on road that I kept it.

For what you are describing the Vstrom would be a much better choice...

EXCEPT

The cockpit of the vstrom is a bit small. If you are 280# you might feel cramped on that bike.

I also looked at getting a R1200GS, but when they break they break in a very expen$ive way. I test rode 8 (yes eight) 2007-2012 R1200GSs and finally gave up on finding one that didn't have clutch judder or weeping between the engine and trans.

No experience with the Tenere.
  2. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Can only really chime in to say 3 things:

1) Firming up the suspension on an AT is neither difficult, nor particularly expensive, considering how much people spend on things like exhausts and fancy luggage.

2) The AT is a great touring bike. Have "only" done 600 mile days, but it did so smoothly. 21" front wheel and long travel suspension eat up rough roads.

3) It lacks passing power. Redline is 7500rpm, and 90mph is 5100 with my 155lbs on it. Go WOT while cruising at 85 and nothing much happens right away.
  3. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an S10 for a few years and it was a great bike, couldn't fault it at all. It was just down to me that i couldn't handle pushing around its 260 kilo weight anymore. So i rode tested the V1K, being 30 kilos lighter i thought it might suit me better. But the way the Strom carries it weight, i couldn't tell much difference in weight between the Strom and the S10. The S10 is also better on fuel than the Strom and the S10 is a better quality motorcycle with longer valve check intervals at 24K. I've always preferred the Wee over the Vee as well, in all its model years.
    If i were looking for a larger adv bike atm, i would take look and a test ride on a Yam T7, before looking at anything else.
  4. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I found the passing power better than I expected...... Always with a downshift. There's enough room in the rev range to kick it down while at 85.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  5. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    I guess I just feel that in the saddle and on paper, its power to weight ratio is lacking. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker, I still love it, but just putting it out there for people looking at the platform.

That said, it certainly blows the doors off my KLR! :D
  6. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Electra Glide does amazingly well on nasty dirt roads, even 2 up. I just have to take my time. That being said, I also have an S10 that is much better off pavement and just as good on pavement. Your wish list sounds like a definition of the S10 in fact. Good luck, it's always fun shopping for a new bike.
  7. foo

foo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My approach to this is to get a short list of bikes (this thread) and then read the specific threads devoted to them. Can take some time and you typically will skip over thousands of posts but you will get a feel for the good and bad on each bike. From there you decide what is important which further reduces the potential bikes. Then test ride and hopefully that makes the decision easy. Maybe...
    neanderthal and AwDang like this.
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For my riding AT works but for what you want s10 would rock.BMW has pretty crappy dealer network.
  9. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Fair, but you're not going to get neck snapping acceleration at 85mph if you're not on a literbike or supercar. I thumb a downshift whenever I want to go WOT. I've never been disappointed.

Except, maybe, when I was relocating. I'm 240lbs, so ~265ish in full gear.

IMG_20180701_195606715_HDR.jpg
  10. cyrider

cyrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Here's an update for everyone on where I'm at.

I have now test rode a 2017 AT and a 2018 KTM 1290 R. I can get the AT brand new for 9500 OTD from my local dealer who just got like 15 of the 2017 AT's in. The KTM is a brand new left over that was a "demo" bike for the owner of the daler, but only has 40 miles on it. OTD price on the KTM is 15,500, with panniers included.

I've gotta say, I loved the KTM. It was an awesome bike, powerfull, comfortable and pretty much everything I want, except that I'm afraid of the KTM reliability/dealer network/all their other crap, and it's 6k more (5k I guess since I'll be putting panniers on the honda too).

The AT was a nice bike, smooth, comfortable, but uninspiring and the suspension was horribly soft for my weight. But the reliability, price, and dealer network give it another leg up. If I go with the Honda, I will be doing suspension work to it this winter no doubt.

I'm still debating. The other thing I have to consider is if I get the Honda, I can keep the other two bikes I have in the garage too. If I get the KTM, one of them will have to go or else my wife will be getting after me. the more motorcycles the better is what I say.

I did go look at the Vstrom, and that was enough to remove it from my consideration. I have been to 5 or 6 yamaha shops in the last 2 weeks all over the midwest, and have yet to see a super tenere. Apparantly they are all waiting for the 2020's. I saw a used 2012, but I would want a 2014 or newer if I go s10 and I think it's the ugliest of the adventure bikes. The search continues!
    Amphib likes this.
  11. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    Super 10 is a aolid option, but look at and ride a VFR1200x if you want a bit more for your needs/size than the AT provided.

Greg