New to adventure biking

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Naugahyde, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Naugahyde

Naugahyde n00b

Oddometer:
    Greetings! I currently live near Frankfurt, Germany. Been riding for a bit over 15 years; however, never an adventure bike. First bike was a 1996 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6 (aka ZZR-600) and most recent bike is a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C90. I will be taking possession of my "new" 2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure.

The bike is mostly stock save for the electric tank bag, navi, exhaust, and lowered seat. Plans are to install a power distribution unit to power a heated vest and eliminate the need for a separate power switch for the navi.

I'd love to hear some recommendations for decent, easy to medium difficulty rides so I can build my skills.

Take care,
    Naugahyde
  2. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    NL & B TET are within reach and mostly not too difficult. Stay away from the Valkensvard sands on your GS. The autumn HU meeting will be just an hour away if you want to meet likeminded folks.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  4. Naugahyde

Naugahyde n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I greatly appreciate this.

I was looking at the HU meetup, but will not be able to make it. I am supposed to be on travel for work that week. What are the Valkensvard sands? I started searching, but came up empty handed.
  5. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    Valkensvaard is a town in Southern NL, and in its south, the TET crosses a very sandy area. I wouldn't want to ride that on a GS, and I would certainly not send someone there, who's on the lookout for easy riding on a GS.
    [​IMG]