"New to me" '05 640 ADV

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by alongat, Jun 21, 2011.

1. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone - I just picked up an '05 640 ADV this past weekend and I've been spending sleepless nights researching a bunch of things that have me curious. Yes, I know how to use the search function (as I often need the feel to point out to others when they ask questions on other forums) however...I hope I can get some direction from you guys on a few items I haven't been able to figure out just yet:

1- My bike seems to have a "fresh oil" leak coming from somewhere at the top of the engine, making most of its way down the right side and "pooling" slightly on the right side engine case bottom - are there any obvious or known items I should check? Anything? Please?

2- Can anyone recommend a good (aka: cheap) source for handguards that most folks here consider to be the "good ones" (I seem to gravitate toward the Enduro Engineering (what think you, oh wise ones?)

3- the original stainless steel Supertrap muffler has an internal rattle - upon inspection, this is not coming from the baffle discs, it is further inside - seems that one of the internal tubes (I think they are perforated) has snapped its welds and is rattling like a chunk of steel in a clothers dryer - can this be fixed or do I scrap it for an aftermarket muffler? If aftermarket, are there preferred choices? I have seen somethingt called a "big bang", know nothing about it and couldn't seem to find anyone who has reviewed it

4- Is there anything I can about smoothing out vibrations? This enagine sounds and feels like a mis-firing diesel (I don't expect a vibration-free ride and to be honest, after a few days, I am getting quite used to it) but there are a ton of vibration associated rattles (engine area) that I would love to sort out - any common wisdom or anything like that?

Thanks in advance folks - I promise to contribute at least as much knowledge as I take from this site and the group of folks here.

Can't wait to get 'er dirty :)
  2. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    1- A common oil leak area is from rocker cover sealant blow out just above the left header... Your saying the right side so that would point towards something else... Maybe it's leaking past the rocker shaft o-rings or maybe the previos owner mistakenly reversed the order of the large cover bolts, putting the longer bolt in the short bolt side causing it to bottom out before proper rocker cover clampdown is achieved...

2- Go Ebay for handguards and go KTM hardparts for Cycra clamps...

3- For a stock muffler put a WTB on the ADV fleamarket...

4- They all vibrate somewhat and make wierd noises.... If you get lots of rattles when the bike is off the stand sitting on the tires look for loose fasteners, missing skidplate rubber dampers and stuff like that... Severe vibration and engine noises can be caused by internal engine issues like worn cranks or related bearings...
  3. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips and feedback - I'll begin digging...