New to me 1200 GS won’t run in gear...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by KLRTucson, Jul 28, 2020.

1. KLRTucson

KLRTucson Hey, a bright shiny thing........

Oddometer:
    So I have a bit of a dilly pickle. Bought a 2005 1200 this past spring. Haven’t been able to ride much hardly at all except around the hood to keep everything charged up. Getting ready to head out on the long ride back to AZ and headed out for a shakedown ride earlier. ATGATT up and ready to head off into the hills, bike starts fine in neutral, any attempt to put it in gear, up or down, bike dies. I thought if I had the cutch in it would still start in 1st, but no. Kill switch is not activated. Screen shows the yellow triangle and EWS. I did search around EWS here and found the 167 page thread and seems the ring antennae issues won’t allow the bike to run at all? So not sure what the issue might be.

I do not have the GS 911 tool, and a dealer is about 2 hours away in Missoula.

I have reached out to the PO, who was a super nice gentleman for any input.

Battery sounds strong and fires the bike right up.

I did add a Garmin power cable to the fuse block in an open slot.

Ideas??

Thanks in advance! CD427B5B-7CE8-4C77-9421-74B6A6C1253A.jpeg
  2. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that EWS message on the panel new? If so, the ring antenna may have given up its magic smoke. That item had issues on early Hexheads. If your bike is still wearing the original, then that's what I'd suspect.

So, I'd be looking into failure of the EWS. A gs911 would be nice to have, but if the EWS symbol is new & constant that would gen. answer the question.

Also, your fourth paragraph contradicts the first, so if the bike actually cranks, then the problem is not with the EWS.

Your trip? Not looking certain at this point.

See also http://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/ews
  3. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    EWS is ring antenna <=> bike key communication break-down ie. malfunction. Now, it can be caused by still original faulty ring antenna (last 3 digits p# not ...247) and/or weak battery and/or all of the above... If you verified the battery as OK, then it's ring antenna your most likely culprit...

You can check the antenna p# and inquire w local dealer to have that replaced as there was a recall back in the day to have ...453 and other p#s replaced by latest and still current ...247. :deal
  4. KLRTucson

Oddometer:
    I was thinking it was the ring antennae mostly due to the warning sign, but it has all the symptoms of a bad side stand switch. Been reviewing old threads a lot, and seems if the bike cranks and runs it doesn’t necessarily mean EWS failure?
    bajaburro, jalapoj and TurkeyRun like this.
  5. TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure sounds like sidestand switch to me...
  6. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    If it cranks & runs, then no EWS error. That message can momentarily crop up following a battery change or voltage hiccup.

When operating as normal, the bike should crank & idle when in neutral whether the side stand is up or down.
  7. KLRTucson

Oddometer:
    I’m going to try the side stand switch mod and see if that helps, thanks for the advice!
  8. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Well, that may mean more than one issue with it then??

If EWS message shows up, there should be no further cranking and running although there have been intermittent on/off malfunction w the antenna in the past...
  9. KLRTucson

Oddometer:
    Bike ran great and never had the EWS message before today. I’d like to keep the side stand switch active, maybe I can just order a new one and see. Lots of threads to go through:)
  10. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^ Everyone of us who had EWS never got it until we got it...

And, that was all there was to it until new ring antenna was installed (and new battery installed, if needed)... :deal
  11. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    Cribbed from another website:

Sidestand Bypass:
    Connector located above VIN plate on left side of chassis
    * Pin 1 <-> Pin 3 = (brown/green <-> yellow/green)
    That is, run a jumper to connect the brown/green wire end to the yellow/ green wire, thus bypassing the side stand switch.

And if you prefer to get deep into the weeds...

12. KLRTucson

Oddometer:
    Nice. I will try that.

I read on another thread that “red and brown get you back to town” but old Helge said red and white in his video on the field bypass version.
  13. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don’t have to cut any wires to test the side stand - just unhook the wiring connectors and then jumper the pins on the bike side. (If one pair doesn’t work, try jumping the other pair.)

If this works and you want to keep the safety feature, order a new switch (you can ride the bike in the meantime - Just keep the pins jumped and tape the wiring up outbid the way until the switch arrives).

If it doesn’t work, at least you know that’s not the problem.
  14. KLRTucson

Oddometer:
    So with the bike in neutral stand up, when you put the stand down it should kill the engine? Runs fine in mustard, stand up or stand down, doesn’t make a difference.

I tried downloading that PDF but have no WiFi or computer just using the iPhone.

By “jumper wiring” you mean just use a piece of wiring to make the circuit complete between the red and white? Forgive me, I’ve never done that before
  15. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    No - as long as in N, side-stand up or down the bike should run...

If side-stand is down and you engage 1st (or any gear), the bike should stop running - that's proper running of side-stand switch...
  16. KLRTucson

Oddometer:
    Mmm. The other possibility would be the clutch switch. There is an adjustment I need to read up on, but that still leaves the EWS warning
  17. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    As long as you don't pull in the clutch before you turn the ignition on, you should be k - although, that won't cause EWS...

Take a look at ring antenna p# - if not ...247, that's your high likely culprit for EWS...
  18. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    Where are you getting "... red and white" from? There should be three (3) wires in that connector. None of them will be red. They may all wear a white stripe on their sheathing, however.

The colors that you are most likely interested in are "green & brown" and "yellow and green". The wire with brown on its sheathing is the ground wire, also referred to earth by some.

You can disconnect the connector, and then use any suitable piece or length of wire to "jumper" the pins (two of three) that are endpoints for the green/brown and yellow/green wires.

If there's a red wire, do not touch it, as it activates the ejection seat.

Edit: if you're looking at details for the 1150s, use that for gen. info. only. The wire sheathing colors are not comparable between the two bike models, i.e., 1150 vs. 1200.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  19. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In neutral with side stand up or down bike should start and run fine. When It's in gear (anything other than neutral) bike won't start with sidestand down. If already running and sidestand is put down while in gear bike dies and won't restart until either sidestand is put up or tranny is in gear. If any of these conditions are different then you likely have a sidestand switch issue.

To jumper the wires simply means to connect them together. You are basically performing the function of the switch as if the side stand is up.

If the sidestand is affecting whether the engine runs/dies even in neutral then it's likely the sidestand.
  20. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    For the engine to run, if bike is in gear (w clutch pulled in), side stand must be up...