New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Duelsporter

Duelsporter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice morning for a ride in the country today. :-)

[​IMG]
    Love the smell of freshly-cut hay.

[​IMG]
    Old general store in Broughton, GA.

[​IMG]
    I promise --- I had no intention!!! :rofl

On the way home I filled 'er up -- she got 63.27 MPG. Can't beat that!
    TonyKZ1 and jethrocephus like this.
  2. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:

Sweet! We did get some rain up this way, as you suspected we might . . . . :evil
  3. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    That's a lovely dubly you have there Sir. Congratulations.
    Duelsporter likes this.
  4. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    I just rode this to Helsinki from the UK across Sweden:

[​IMG]

And I will be riding in the Helsinki Distinguished Gentlemans Ride on the 25th of this month.

I'm already the lead sponsored rider in Helsinki thanks to the kind support of a number of ADV'ers, farmers and friends.

If you would like to support research into prostate cancer (a disease that will affect 1 in 7 of us men, and has already affected a good friend) then you can throw 5 bucks towards the cause here:

https://www.gentlemansride.com/rider/pariah

Five bucks. Come on you Dubbers.

If you are not familiar with the DGR, it is an annual charity fundraiser and celebration of classic and café/custom bike culture.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    GoonerYoda likes this.
  5. chupa88

chupa88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Folks,

So I've decided to upgrade the front fork springs on my W and from reading the previous posts, I'm going to go with Race Tech as well. I'm trying to order all the misc parts to go with it and Racetech doesn't carry all the bushings and covers anymore. I'm wondering if anyone who has done this still have the parts number from their order.

The Jerk posted "You also have to order all the one-use fork items to include inner and outer bushings, oil seals, dust seals, the spring clip seal retainer, and the copper washers for the allen bolts at the bottoms of the forks."

UPDATE

I got the info from Race Tech, they were amazing!

The OEM part number for the Dust seal is 92093-1510. The Outer Bushing is 92028-1940. Race Tech parts - Oil seals are FKOS 39S, Inner Bushing FMBI 39201 P, Copper Washers - HMWC 1015, 15W Fork oil - OSFO 15

Hope this helps other folks.

Thanks!
    theandy likes this.
  6. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    Bongolia,
    Cheers to The Helsinki DGR. Ride the miles (kilometers for you), get the smiles!
    This will be the second year in a row for me participating in The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride, New York City.
    Here is the group shot at Lincoln Center (about 350 Gentlefolk) from last year's DGR. :thumb
    NYC-DGR-Distinsguished-Gentlemans-Ride-Union-Garage-NYC20.1.jpeg
  7. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    Good on ya MFP. That looks like a good turn out and a great day out. You have a few more in NYC than we have here. I think Caidoz from round these parts also rode in the NYC DGR.

Currently 19 signed up in Helsinki. Hopefully numbers will rise before the event.
  8. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    I could do a DGR here, but the "group "photo would have to be a solo selfie...
  9. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    :lol3

There's a Himalayan DGR in Lah, so I am reliably informed...
  10. orsurf76

orsurf76 engine braker

Oddometer:
    Hey, I've got an electrical question--pretty basic. I'm installing a new set of turn signals up front (old set didn't survive the Dalton Highway completely . . . ). So I wire in one and it's fine. On the second one the turn signal connects fine, but when I connect the running light it trips the fuse. I've tried to troubleshoot and isolate it, and that running light--but not the turn signal--seem to be the problem (running lights and turn signals are on separate fuses).
    So there's a short in the running light? The problem is the new hardware? Why is the turn signal fine but not the running light? (that's the part that's confusing me).
    :hmmmmm
    Thanks
  11. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert, but tripped fuse often means a short. Helpful, huh? The running light and turn signal lights are separate circuits, so I'd look at the new turn signal unit for a problem.

Do you have a wiring diagram? If not, would you like one? I've got one in pretty colors...
  12. orsurf76

orsurf76 engine braker

Oddometer:
    It must be in the new unit . . . just weird the turn signal is fine but the running light is bad . . . hmm, that might be a pain to get into.

I would like a color diagram, I just have B&W one from the service manual (not that I think I need it for this, but for the future)--thanks.
  13. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    orsurf76, and all - regarding wiring diagrams...

I posted similar to the following on another forum (EDITED to include UK version):

--------------------------
    I've been messing around with colorizing them. I was thinking I might post them for general consumption - I asked if anyone on the Yahoo group wanted to take the time to double check them for glaring mistakes, and got no response.

USA/CANADA:

I've created a PDF file which contains all the diagrams, and can be printed out into a book-like collection. Many of the diagrams are "landscape" oriented for printing, so they're difficult to look at on-screen. I also have each diagram as an individual file for screen viewing.

For now, I've created a Dropbox folder where the files can be found:

https://tinyurl.com/W650-Wiring-US-Canada

The link will show the folder contents, 10 pdf files. The first 9 files are the individual named and numbered pages, all oriented "correctly" for screen viewing. The 10th file is the complete collection ("2000 Kawasaki W650 Wiring Diagrams"); some of the pages in this "booklet" file are rotated sideways in a better-for-printing "landscape" orientation. I had standard US paper sizes in mind, but most printing systems can resize files to fit different paper sizes. All the pages fit 8.5" x 11" (or similar) paper, except for the "master diagram" (page 3), which is sized to fit 11"x17" (or similar) paper.

To download all the files at once, click the blue "download" box at the upper right; you can download as a .zip file, which is a single archive file with all the pdf's. You'll have to "unzip" the file once you download it; I think most computers can deal with this by default.

Or, you can click on each file and view it on screen, where you'll see similar a download button at the upper right. This time, the download button will allow you to save the individual file directly.

Dropbox downloading details may change - if anyone has trouble, let me know and I can assist, or send the files...

Please read the contents page for details about what I did and why. If you find any errors, please let me know, either here or by the email address given. At this point, I'm thinking of differences between the "official" diagram and mine, not differences between the diagrams and individual bikes' wiring - unless there's a universal difference between the two...

UK, ETC:

I made up a diagram for UK owners - actually, my service manual calls it "EJ650-A1 ~ A3/C3 ~ C4 (Other than United States, Canada and Australia)." So I assume this means UK and other European markets? Regardless, this is the version that has the switchable headlight and city light (or parking light), and carburetor heaters:

https://tinyurl.com/W650-Wiring-UK-Etc

This isn't a collection of diagrams like the USA group above, but just the big master diagram in PDF format. It's sized the same as the USA master diagram, to fit 11"x17" (or similar) paper. You can ignore most of the above downloading "instructions" since it's just a single file and not a folder full. But do see my USA contents page in the first link for details about what I did and why. And as with the USA diagram, if you find any errors, please let me know. Again, I'm thinking of differences between the "official" diagram and mine, not differences between the diagrams and individual bikes' wiring - unless there's a universal difference between the two...

--------------------------

Help yourselves...
  14. orsurf76

orsurf76 engine braker

Oddometer:
    ^^ WHOA, that is awesome! We should probably make them a more permanent link (maybe I'll upload them as JPGS to the thread, so they don't disappear later), and have The Jerk link them on the first post.
    Very handy.
    :super
  15. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    I can't help with the wiring but I took the old gal round the local hood yesterday. A beautiful sunny day in Helsinki.

[​IMG]
    theandy and TonyKZ1 like this.
  16. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend against jpegs. PDF's maintain a small file size, and maintain their resolution regardless of how much you zoom in.

I didn't think you could upload files to this forum, only links? A couple of other "locations" have been recommended, but they're members-only, so for now they'll stay available to all at my dropbox link...
  17. BlunderBolt

BlunderBolt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many pints thanks for hammering out first-class colored electric diagrams for the W. It'll sure be nice to have those when the time comes.
  18. BlunderBolt

BlunderBolt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like the looks of the K70 on Lar's W from page 283, but is it really only 4 inches wide? The 130/80 Accolade rear on my W is 10 years old and I'm itching to replace it. The width of the Accolade on my W is 5 1/8" or 130mm. Maybe Lar's bobbed fender and small taillights make the the K70 look wider?

If the K70 4.00/18 tire is actually only 4 inches wide I am leaning toward a 130/80 BT45. There is 3 miles of gravel between me pavement. Often the gravel is packed down tight and worn fairly smooth. The BT45 probably isn't too bad on gravel I suppose.

My main concern is width of the K70 look to narrow for a W? Even a K81 only goes to 4.25/85. My front Conti TKC70 100/90 measures 4 inches wide and that seems way to narrow for the rear.
  19. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    I accept! :freaky

Hope they're useful. One thing about doing such a project, one gains a certain familiarity...
  20. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Would a narrower rear tire make the steering a little "lighter" - quicker response in turns? If so, I wouldn't mind that at all for most of the riding I do. And I like the vintage look of the K70's. And they inspired confidence on unpaved roads when I used them on my Royal Enfield...