New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. millenbop

millenbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any time! If they live in Stockholm it makes sense to not own a car or bike, otherwise, my guess is that you are not related.
  2. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Wife is Swedish, we’re visiting her brothers and sister.
    millenbop likes this.
  3. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Well, Scoozi did say off road... :jack
  4. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    No washboards on that trip, but I did run out of ground clearance several times which gives you a idea of how bad some of it was. The other problem is that 99% of my riding is on roads, so I really don't have any off-road skills. Smooth gravel covered tracks are fine, it's when it gets heavily rutted or has big holes that I struggle. I put up a ride report so as to not clutter this thread:- https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/three-horse-race-courses-and-two-drovers-roads.1327946/
  5. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Well...I joined the club.

2003 with 4,400km on the clock....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. millenbop

millenbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was time to try to fit the new emblems I got a while ago. This is part 1.

E14059B9-70E9-4CAA-AB95-3D4F9C003F37.jpeg 1785A103-8C00-4CCD-ACB4-C702B48BBC53.jpeg
    BCD4F921-7E34-474D-B572-1A5AE11FA9E8.jpeg

They are slightly curved, both horizontally and vertically. They also have small pins on the back.
  7. millenbop

millenbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The pins are easy to remove as aluminum is pretty soft.

27426EED-DDBA-4126-BD16-184263140BF5.jpeg 788D86F5-1364-4DD2-B047-B40848CF7DED.jpeg
  8. millenbop

millenbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I then started to create a little blueprint out of cardboard. I put the badge where I wanted it and started cutting until it was snug to the tank. For better control I used sandpaper. Finally I transferred it to a piece of wood.

420287B1-9F66-426B-B34C-3A757B9D3E6C.jpeg DF72E926-E70D-4050-8204-35AC45E3FFB8.jpeg 298EA7CF-5148-410D-9F94-AA32DADA4304.jpeg C11CB896-D3C9-46E8-B2BF-3EBB2C2DACCE.jpeg
  9. millenbop

millenbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    85535E6F-70BF-4A3A-ACAB-EACA722357AF.jpeg AA2E902E-F963-4681-8443-36391F9447C1.jpeg

I sawed the wood into two pieces to make myself a little press. I heated up the badge with a heat gun and then put it in the middle of the two wood pieces and applied pressure.
  10. millenbop

millenbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t want to make the color melt so I was careful not to warm it up too much. A bit too careful apparently as the metal wasn’t hot enough and snapped.

B256F13E-4F59-4074-AABB-CA91A0B5E679.jpeg ECD3E5DC-EE3C-4832-95A2-48432C7EC437.jpeg
  11. millenbop

millenbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So for the next one I applied more heat and it bent beautifully.

A6731D98-23DD-477F-981E-B548FB1CD8A3.jpeg 45C582DF-245D-4A96-A801-CB1D2E683005.jpeg
    Speedo66 and jethrocephus like this.
  12. millenbop

millenbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Time to test it on the bike. It wasn’t a perfect fit, but I should be able to bend it more horizontally. Vertically though, I have no idea. It’s not pretty with edges sticking out like that. Either it has to look like this or I have to think about another solution.
    E7AEDB43-7CF2-4CC6-81EB-143620954497.jpeg 6D54BBD9-EB69-46C6-93AF-D6F670B185B2.jpeg

Right now I’m thinking about putting them on the side covers instead... what do you guys think?

End of part 1.
  13. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Maybe a sign shop or advertising place can make a decal from it?
  14. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Hey millenbop, thanks for that detailed post! Sorry to see you had to sacrifice a badge for the cause, they aren't the cheapest things around! :(

Did the curve of the wooden press exactly match the curve of the tank, or did you exaggerate it to allow for some spring-back?

Any idea of how hot you made the badge before bending? Or, how long did you apply the heat to the successful bend?

The long ends bent well, but the heavier wider middle part seems not to have bent much, in any direction. Those red color blocks are what I would be most concerned about damaging from overheating, as they seem like they must be some sort of poured resin, rather than a proper enamel - but maybe they could be repainted a dark red after the fact. I wonder if you could make a spherical (or some other similar shape) "caul" and heat and form just the corners of the center block freehand, and leave the ends bent as they are? :dunno

I actually kind of like the idea of a decal in this design. Or... 3D print it somehow?
  15. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice collection there, I see an NSR two stroke sport bike among other cool bikes.
    Florida Lime likes this.
  16. millenbop

millenbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it will be visible from the side when it's on the bike, only from the top. No biggie.

I made it exactly as the tank, well more or less. At the ends it should have been more curved so I had to bend them a bit extra by hand.

Um no sorry. But I think they can stand pretty much heat actually, much more than I would have thought. For me about 30-45 seconds was ok, but that depends on how powerful your heatgun is I guess.

I'll leave the project for a few days. I'll try to bend the wide parts a little bit somehow.
  17. jinxed

jinxed n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow...been working my way through this thread for a while. Probably the best collection of info on these bikes out there!

I just picked up an 01 EJ650A after many years of wanting one. Price didn't seem too bad, and bike was in pretty nice condition aside from a few little dings and some questionable cosmetic changes. Thankfully all the original parts were included with the only non reversible mod being the poorly chopped rear fender. Should be able to find an original without too much issue.

However...I did take a bit of a gamble. The mode button on the gauge cluster was inoperable and it was stuck on clock. Last owner bought it like that, and the title ODO reading said "exempt". So I had no idea how many miles were on it other than a guess based on condition. That said, the bike appeared to be sporting the original Accolade tires front and rear with a DOT date code of AB4500. The rear tire was worn flat in the center with just a hint left of the center groove in the tread. So based on what other owners have reported for milage on those I was guessing 6-8k miles.

Well, I got it home and after some research decided to see if I could clean the button or at least bridge the connections to toggle the display to ODO. The contact cleaner attempt didnt work, but bridging the connection with a small screwdriver did. ODO: 12975. I admit, I was a little shocked. Could this be right? Did that accolade really do 13k? Then I started to wonder...was the ODO in KM? My google-fu is tapped out so I'm turning to you guys.

Is there a way to know if my bike could have been a Euro, Canadian model brought into the US at some point?
    Can the ODO be switched km/mi?
    Could the tire have actually lasted 13k?

Regardless, the bike stars with ease, shifts super smooth, and the engine sounds great. VERY excited to get some fresh tires on, ditch the clubman, and hit the road.
  18. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    jinxed -

I don't believe the odo is switchable between miles and km. If the speedo reads MPH, the odo should be miles. Could the Accolade tire make 13k miles? I dunno; my bike had an Accolade and 9k miles when I bought it, but I don't know if it was the original tire (it did have some sidewall "age" cracks). Maybe someone replaced the OEM tire but saved it, and put it back on rather than spring for a new one? :dunno

I know my speculation doesn't help you at all, I just thought I'd reply to welcome you...
  19. jinxed

jinxed n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I wondered the same thing on tire swapping. Not too worried, just curious. Without the buttons working I cant navigate the ODO unit, but I'm beginning to think its preset in either mi or km at factory. Even when I got it to the trip and ODO mode there was no indication of units. Typically on the gauges that can be switched, it will let you know which mode youre in. The only grey area could be if the bike was originally a Canadian import and made it's way south. I worked in the biz for a few years and we would see all sorts of bikes from all over the world get traded in.

Interestingly, the bike came with a cool "Acewell" speedo/tach/computer that was never installed. Wiring is not my forté so it looks impossible to install...but I've not been one to shy from the unknown. That or "hold my beer..."
  20. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    The speedo gauge should be clearly labled in KPH or MPH. Though I suppose that could have been changed, too - if a used unit was installed, your odo numbers won't mean anything.

What is the (original) tank color? I think the Canadians had access to some different colors...