New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hadn't noticed that drip down the side of your case, so you may have a very tiny leak rather than misting. It does appear to be coming from the bevel lock area, but due to the shape of the cases any oil tends to get blown up there, especially the drips from a filter change - you can see an oily residue around the bolt at the lower front of the case in your photo. You will have noticed the screw at the front has a copper seal washer, and that is another possible source as there must be a reason to warrant a seal. If you have a suitable C-ring spanner you could try giving the lock ring a tighten, and check the case screws. Those engines do vibrate enough to loosen off bolts over time, and sometimes a couple get missed at the factory Loctiting. If the lock nut and case screws seem OK, have a close look around the oil filter, the filler cap and the seal on the breather box next to the filler cap and see if there is any oil track from there. As the cases are shiny you won't get talcum powder to stick long enough to spot a track but one way to do it is to wipe clean sections across the existing marks and see which one gets oiled up first. There's no sign of oil marks on the barrel or down the bevel tube so it is unlikely to be anything serious.
  2. farmer's racer

farmer's racer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Thanks for the details Scrivens.
    I just came back from a tour with the bike. I can see that small bubbles of oil coming from the base of the bevel lock ring. This must be where the oil come from. I will try to tighten the bolts and lock rings without disturbing the adjustment of the bevel gear. I will also lower the oil level 2dl because it was at max level.

Is there really oil under pressure in the bevel gear? I thought it was only falling down the shaft from the cylinder head. There were clear bubbles of air and oil from the bevel base. I will check the oil temp with my stake thermometer next week.
  3. BravoFox

BravoFox Twin With a Kick

Oddometer:
    Has your bike got an oil change recently?
  4. farmer's racer

farmer's racer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes BravoFox
    Changed oil a few weeks ago. Do you think there might be oil spillage from the filter and filter cap that has escaped after some trips? Might be the reason for the extra amount of oil lately. But a small amount of oil has been visible round the bevel gear for this full season.

I will check the oil filter tightness tu be sure. Great tips from you all.
    abhiram likes this.
  5. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Hard to say without seeing the bike, but on mine every time I change the oil with the required amount, she ends up smoking blue at first start up over a few days. Until the "excess" gets burnt out. Then no more smoking. Oil level is fine in the little window, and doesn't seem to go any lower after those three days or thereafter.

It makes me wonder if the recommended oil capacity indicated by Big K would not be a bit too much. In some instances the oil gets burnt, in others, it leaks?
    farmer's racer likes this.
  6. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    No oil loss issues of any kind on mine yet, @ 21k miles.
  7. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick edit to my original post regarding O-rings in the shaft case. That doesn't appear to be the cause on a closer look, and it is more likely to be the O-ring at A in the diagram. O-rings can lose their flexibility if the bike is left unused for a few years, but sometimes they will recover a bit once the heat cycles have started again.

shaft.jpg

There's enough pressure in the crankcase/engine to blow oil out anywhere that isn't sealed properly, though the breather generally lowers it enough to keep things OK. Leave the oil filler cap off and start the engine and you'll soon find out how much pressure there is - oil blows everywhere. As the oil leak is very minor I wouldn't worry about it, and it is unlikely to get much worse. If you do attempt to tighten the lock nut, hold the nut on the shaft so that it doesn't move as well, although a tiny amount won't affect the gear lash.
  8. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Correct.
    And too much oil in the engine might have a similar effect with a seal not doing its job properly (where in my oil-tight, 55000 mile engine excess oil finds a way out thru the rings and gets burned out)
    >> Farmer's racer, I suggest you monitor the oil level but don't try to top it up. Run the bike a couple hundred miles and check the oil level again. The leak/mist might very well stop as soon as the oil quantity is back to normal.
  9. cnpellegrino

cnpellegrino n00b

Oddometer:
    I have some extra parts for sale that I took off my 2000 W650.

Rear fender is in great overall condition. Has the usual stress cracks on the side but would make a great candidate for someone looking to cut it up do something custom and keep their original rear fender.

The seat I have is in great overall condition minus the tab in the front that clips into the frame. It has a crack in it but it still functions 100%. The Kawasaki logo has been removed but there are no tears or rips anywhere.

I have all the parts from the High Bars, I switched to the overseas low bars. Everything is in great condition. I will include the throttle cables, brake line, and clutch cable with the bars.

If anyone is interested I can provide pics this evening.
  10. firecaptp7

firecaptp7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Message sent to you.
  11. abhiram

abhiram Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a similar oil buildup (bubbles near at camshaft end of the bevel drive). I will give these suggestions a try this weekend. Looking forward to your progress.

Thanks!
  12. abhiram

abhiram Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool. I bought mine a month ago. PO swapped the airbox for pod filters and installed custom exhausts. I guess I have to live with them for now.

And yes, I had to learn the fuel valve position the hardway :)

Yup the w is definitely an around the town bike.

Cheers!
    BravoFox likes this.
  13. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    So I got my hands on an OEM luggage rack, and set about installing it today. There's two mounting holes that fit under a pair of fender bolts, and two arms that come forward and mount on the frame side plates that the grab handles mount on - the after set of holes which originally (in the USA, anyway) held red reflectors, and which many owners move their turn signals to - got it?

The ends of the two arms aren't in the correct plane to attach to that frame plate - they splay out too much. The "base" of the flat bit is touching the frame, but the end is floating, almost 3/8":

[​IMG]

It should lie flat on the frame plate:

[​IMG]

In order to make this arm lie flat against the plate for the above pic, I had to rotate the rack, obviously this is no good:

[​IMG]

I'm going to have to bend the flat ends of both arms. Is it safe to just grab some tools (padded pliers and/or padded vice jaws) and bend, or will I risk damaging the structural integrity of the mounting arms - or of the chrome plating?
  14. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    Don't know how well that rack is made, but I've "cold set" (fancy term for beating the crap out of) an aftermarket Krauser-style luggage rack for my old /5.

The Givi rack I put on the Dubya was a good fit.

A potenital alternative might be to put bushings/spacers between the rack and the frame, with longer bolts.
  15. BravoFox

Oddometer:
  16. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    It seems strong and well-made. In terms of "cold setting," is that a good thing? Or does flimsier = more flexible = easier to bend without fear of damage? The bend would have to be right at the point where the tube profile goes from round to pressed flat, so there may already be some built-in stresses there.

I've gotta say I'm surprised at what I've found. The rack sure seems genuine and unused, and came in plastic wrapping with OEM part number stickers on. It came with hardware and parts list/mounting instructions, in German. Not surprising, since it came over from France, which I think is kind of near Germany somewhere. Seems unlikely, but could this be a W650/W800 compatibility issue?

Not a bad idea, but it's my intention to mount pannier standoff brackets in tandem with the rack - the brackets by design must mount on top of the rack arms, and the brackets do fit correctly, which means another similar but opposite gap (does that make sense) between the two pieces. I do not trust the brackets with any kind of brute force bending, they're pretty light weight...
  17. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    BravoFox likes this.
  18. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    Here's another cranial air biscuit early on this Sunday morning . . .
    I know nothing about your specific rack, but is it possible that it is intended to fit over something else like a pannier rack? That is, is it designed to be an integrated part of a rack system?

Just thinking about it this morning and curious to see Bravo Fox's reaction . . . . :D
  19. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. It looks just the same as the other stand-alone OEM racks I've seen photos of, and the packaging has the correct Kawasaki part number (not that that necessarily means anything)...
  20. BravoFox

Oddometer: