New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a working link to the yahoo page? The W650/800 riders page doesn’t work for me. I push “join” and a little “loading” tab blinks at the top and that’s it. Other groups will bring up a join page, but not this one. I’ve tried iPhone and Mac both safari and chrome....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok....WTF....seriously....

I went from a link from captain jakes...and gave the join button one last mash. Well fuck me sideways....it worked.

There’s a reason the world abandoned yahoo.....

3. Caesars_ghost

Caesars_ghost Air Cooled.

Oddometer:
    The Yahoo group used to be fairly lively a few years ago judging by the archives. Now it’s pretty dead, with only a few posts per month. I guess that’s what happens when a bike is pushing 20?
  4. BravoFox

BravoFox Twin With a Kick

Oddometer:
    As you certainly have noticed ORexpat, none of my steeds are really trailer queens either. :lol3
  5. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, haven't seen either featured in "Cafe Racer" or winning ribbons at the local custom bike show. But parked in front of interesting places, or ridden on small tours, yep! Keep it up, young feller . . . . .

:hide
  6. BravoFox

Oddometer:
  7. Chuck Pryce

Chuck Pryce Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is one on Asheville’s Craigslist, no affiliation with the seller
    mitchxout likes this.
  8. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
  9. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    Dimpled tank, non-OEM turnsignals, some other damage that the seller says he'll fix, for a price. That front dimple and the presumably broken OEM front left turnsignal are exactly what happend to mine before I bought it.
  10. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't buy a 20 year old bike with only 900 miles.
    If it's a scam, you get screwed. If it's the real mileage, you get screwed even worse.
  11. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    MW56018-155_156_W3_3_1024x1024.jpg 18301338_1703323439694383_6724079950446482304_n.jpg IMG_E0477.JPG
    Scoozi and Tritwin like this.
  12. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you change the jets on these without pulling the carbs? It’s probably not fun, but can it be done? I got a set of pipes and headers for 120$ and I’d like to strap em in there.

13. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    Yes you can. As you said, it's not fun, but it can be done. You can change the pilots & mains without pulling the carbs. Can also swap out the needles without pulling the carbs either, but you will need to pull the tank for that.

Basically you just need to drain & drop the float bowls. Tricky parts are getting to all the float bowl screws and disconnecting/reconnecting the accelerator pump linkage without having 3 hands. You will also need a small screwdriver/bit to remove/install the pilot jets. I use a smaller-than-normal (I.e. smaller than 1/4") screwdriver bit in a socket with a 1/4" drive ratchet.

Here's a view from the bottom so you can see what's what. This is of course carbs removed and on the bench. I have one float bowl removed in this pic. For your purposes of course you would not need to worry about removing the rubber hose connecting the two float bowls. Just drop both float bowls with the hose connecting them. The accelerator pump is only on one carb and comes out attached to the float bowl. The float bowl screws are easy to strip so take your time and ensure you have the screwdriver bit fully seated in the screw. Don't overtighten when re-installing.

[​IMG]
  14. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    I'm planning for a front brake caliper rebuild, seems I'm getting some slight symptoms of a dragging brake...and also I noticed that the service manual calls for the caliper piston fluid & dust seals to be replaced every other time the brake pads are replaced (!!)
    I'm quite certain that 20 years on I've got the original fluid & dust seals and I think things are just getting a little sticky. So I'm going to take the opportunity to replace all the rubber parts at the caliper.

For the knowledge base: looking at parts vendors, it appears that Kawasaki has NLA'd both the front caliper assembly and front brake disc for the W650.

W650 Caliper Assembly: 43041-1709-DJ
    W650 Brake Disc: 41080-1462

Both are listed as no longer available.

However, it appears that most if not all of the individual caliper parts are available so rebuilds are still possible with OEM parts. Just for kicks I took a look at the W800 parts fiche and compared part numbers with the W650 caliper parts and they are all identical. Therefore it would appear that if you needed a complete caliper, you could buy the W800 caliper and it would bolt right up. I think based on the description it appears that the finish might be different, as the W800 caliper is described as "black." I would also bet that the W800 disc would bolt up to the W650 but I don't know for sure. At any rate, here are the part numbers:

W800 Caliper Assembly: 43080-5028-DJ
    W800 Brake Disc: 41080-0014-33J

As for a rebuild, you can buy everything you need for less than $50.
  15. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    Jerk, I've rebuilt that front caliper too. There's a small photo spread earlier in the thread.

Both sets of seals are readily available from any Kawasaki dealer.

I also fitted an EBC rotor. Works really well.

Additionally I had a stainless steel brake hose built at a local hydraulic hose fabrication facility. Wasn't very expensive; probably less than ordering online. And I watched them test the hose to 3000 psi, much more than they'll ever see from my old fingers!

That front brake rebuild was a revelation. Brakes are excellent now. I'd call this a highly recommended project.
  16. clinton11

clinton11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to say thanks to Jerk for the great write up on the head bearing greasing. Really awesome guide, I'm sure I'll be referencing it soon.
  17. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
  18. BAGSTR

BAGSTR One Project a Day

Oddometer:
    Hey People,

I have a Left Side engine cover in a box for 18 years. ( minor Scratch caused me to replace it ) A few other take-offs from new; front brake line, mirrors and maybe a bit more.
    Any interest here?? San Diego area.

Bagstr
  19. bringenufgun

bringenufgun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    new to me:
    IMG_2801.jpg IMG_2800.jpg
    Scoozi, TBilly and mitchxout like this.
  20. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, Royal Einfeld just announced US pricing and availability on this.

[​IMG]

47HP 650 twin. Very similar to the W650 (no need to comment on reliability etc, I understand).

Looks like we shall see if the W650 equation was just a bit to far ahead of its time! To me, the new Bonnevilles are in a class slightly above this and the original W650 in terms of complexity/cost/performance with the 900 twin being pretty close though.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2018...with-north-american-pricing-and-availability/

Question will be, is the cost difference or other intangibles enough to draw someone to these vs a 900cc Bonnie?