New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks nice.

As for reliability, we've had some quality control issues with a few of the Classic singles we've been using on the MSF range.
  2. TBilly

TBilly Billy

Oddometer:
    Oh c'mon man,spit it out...have they BIG mirrors too ?? :y0!
  3. BravoFox

BravoFox Twin With a Kick

Oddometer:
    One of the most tangible issues with the 500cc singles was the power. 1950s design, 1950s performance. Combined with a very tall gearbox gearing, it made for a bike annoyingly underpowered. The Continental GT being probably the worst, requiring constant recourse to first gear as soon as you speed dropped or in city traffic. Not that fun. Let's just hope the 650 will make a diff in that department.
  4. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    The gearshift levers literally fell out of two of the four bikes we've got. A QC problem in the factory, fixed under warranty-and one of 'em was fixed twice for the same problem. The distributor gave the mechanic a "new" part with the same issue as the broken one . . . .

Then we had one with a short in the tip-over sensor (at least that's what I was told) and it took forever to get a replacement part.

They may not have that much high end power, but they do OK for torque, at least a lower speeds. They're great fun to ride on the range. Two of ours are hitched to Sputnik sidecars and they do fine at range speeds. They're not registered so we can't take 'em out on the highway. At least not while the boss is looking!
  5. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need help from my expert friends about what to offer for a 2000 dub, 2k original miles, looks practically new. However, it was put up wet and hasn't been cranked since 06? As far as I know, the tires are original and probably never serviced?
  6. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    In the US?
    $1000 tops, if that.

All rubbers have most likely dried out and the engine is gonna leak more than the White House within the next few hundred miles.
    This is a bike that has hardly being used, then stored (in unverifiable conditions) for 12 years.... It's an engine opening in the short term, and if you can't do it yourself, think a couple grand ar best.

Your call.
    Personally I wouldn't even bother, and would look for another one.
  7. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's possible I misunderstood, I'm trying to contact the seller now but what if it's only 2 years instead of 12?
  8. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    It's still an unusually low mileage bike. 2000 miles in 18 years, not good. It's what I cover in 6 months.
  9. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! I know, I can roll miles up pretty fast sometimes myself. But he verified it's been 2 years, not 12, so I'm willing to take a chance. But you're saying the bike is going to need repair regardless?
  10. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Study your market. What sells at how much.
  11. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, running and ready to go bikes with very low mileage have the highest asking prices. Not running isn't so obvious?
  12. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it was stored in a garage under a cover and is in as new shape, Its worth a decent amount (up to $3500ish?). Check the inside of the tank for rust. The carbs will most likey need a complete rebuild with new seals, diaphragms, needle and seat, and idle jets. New battery. New tires and tubes, and grease all the axle seals and bearings with fresh grease. New fuel line. Oil change. All very easy stuff unless things like engine seals have dried up. It would take some garage time and knowledge.

I would still use all of the above as negotiating tactics. That stuff would likely run $1500+ at a dealership....if you could find a good one.

If it was stored outside or otherwise abused...yeah. $1K

Don't let the owner claim rarity and high value for the milage. That only works if it was properly mothballed and in a climate controlled storage.
    mitchxout likes this.
  13. pjensen641

Oddometer:
    Ah, just read that it has only been 2 years. Sometimes mine only gets ridden a couple times a year. I always run Stabil but never had to touch the carbs. Likly wont need to after 2 years. Much less risk. Check the DOT date on the tires, I wouldnt even replace if they are less than 5 years old and in good shape. As was said, do a google search on craigslist (W650 site:craigslist.org) for other bikes for sale, and check EBAY closed auctions. Make a judgement.
    mitchxout likes this.
  14. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m sorry, I found out it was only 2 years right after I posted.
  15. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    If it hasn't been run in two years I wouldn't expect major problems from that in and of itself. But why can't you crank it/start it now? If you can't hear it run then, from a buyer standpoint, you have to assume it does not run and factor that into any price you offer. If the battery is dead you can still crank it over with the kick pedal and at least make sure it's not seized. If the seller wants top dollar for his bike then it's his job to get it into top-dollar condition. Not running is far from top-dollar condition.

If it's been sitting for two years, a carb rebuild will definitely be in order. Rebuild might be a strong word, but for sure you will have to pull them and clean out the jets. Definitely check inside the tank; hopefully it was put away with a full tank otherwise you may have rust issues in there. If it is full of gas, you will need to drain and dispose of that before attempting to run it.

If it has the original tires they absolutely must be replaced before riding.
  16. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with all of your points. I did get the bike today, couldn't try to start it though. For starters I can't get the gas cap open?
    jethrocephus likes this.
  17. pjensen641

Oddometer:
    Standard quarter turn with the key affair...
  18. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand but the cap is stuck and won't open. I put light oil in the key hole and will try it again in the morning.
  19. pjensen641

Oddometer:
    Yikes, that's a bad sign. Sometimes it helps to push down on the cap while turning the key. Unloads the latch mechanism. Are you certain the tank is original and key matches? Mine has always turned easy.
  20. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems to be a semi-common problem although I've never personally encountered it. I pushed down, oiled the key slot, beat with a rubber mallet, cursed, etc. My best bet, before I break the key off, is probably a locksmith. Then, take it apart and lube it well.