New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Yahoo groups platform pretty much fell apart several months ago and two groups that I'm a member of had to move to other platforms due to extreme unreliability at Yahoo...anyway if that group is still alive there is a good chance it has migrated elsewhere (like google groups, groups.io, etc.)
  2. BravoFox

BravoFox Twin With a Kick

Oddometer:
    I would just like to emphasize the key word in the Jerk's assessment: 'IF".

If everything the seller has told you is true (including the 2 year storage, which can't be ascertained I suppose?.. Could really be twelve after all !!), it could be a good deal (we don't know how much you paid for it so we can't tell).
    YET 2000 miles in almost 20 years is NOT a good thing for any engine. This is a bike that has spent far longer standing than being ridden, and it makes the two year storage almost irrelevant -yet still suspicious- as it has spent decades in storage obviously!

I wouldve stayed away and waited for a regularly ridden, realistic milage one. But hey, your money your call.
    mitchxout likes this.
  3. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far, it looks consistent with a two year down period. The inside of the tank naturally has rust but surprisingly the float bowl is clean. I was told the bike was filled with fresh gas when stored. Also, I found the float bowl screws open so that explains their cleanliness. I understand it might end up nothing but a living room ornament but I think it's worth trying to save.
  4. jethrocephus

jethrocephus Most Honorable Right Minister of Folding Money Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just recently spoke with someone with the same issue on an '86 VFR. He removed the petcoock and put PineSol (IIRC) in the tank for awhile and was able to free up the gas cap. It was also a 2k mile bike.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the low miles, Japanese bikes seem to hold up and be pretty oil tight. You might get lucky.
  5. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m a little confused....

People fall over themselves when they get a barn find VW or something. Given the short lifespan of motorcycles...I would be ecstatic to have a low mile bike. In fact...I got an 03 with 2000 Miles here in japan. It DID have a leak from the oil tubes and gummy pilot screws. Everything else is fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jethrocephus and mitchxout like this.
  6. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got the gas cap open and currently soaking the tank with vinegar. The mating surface between the tank lip and cap is very rusty but inside doesn't look too bad. I would post pics but I'm having probs with that too. :dirtdog
  7. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    That's not what has been said.

Getting a very low milage, decades-old is fine, although it must be treated with a certain dose of suspicion. But as long as :

A) One realizes that the likelihood of having to crack open the engine is skyhigh, which means extra thousands of greens if one is not mechanically-inclined.

B) Is the mileage really low, or is one being blown smoke up one's taillight?

C) The price reflects all the above.
    A 20 year old W650 with 2000 miles at 4500 bucks is NOT a bargain, it's a gamble. Especially if leaks start from every gasket after another 2000 miles....
    At $2000 or less it might be a chance worth taking, knowing fully that when (not if) the seals and gaskets will leak, you have already factored in a 2500 bucks visit to your favorite motorcycle shop.

I can see it a lot in the BMW airhead world, where "original 5000 miles" appears very often, while it could be 105000, or even 205000 !! We have people posting their "barn find' but totally unable to show evidence for their assertions when more shrewd members ask the questions.
    There was one the other days who swore he got an R100S in a 90S Daytona Orange directly from the factory. When probed, he acknowleged that he had no proof, except 'the previous owner told him and he believed him"... The sloppy way the very peculiar Daytona Orange paint job was applied screamed after market cheap job... The OP never showed up again, I'm afraid he had realized he had been screwed over and overpaid for the bike.

Asking the right questions, digging for corroborative evidence is of the essence when buying old, classic vehicles. The seller's word means nothing if there is no documentation (certificates, bills, pictures) to support the claim.
    Unless you know the vehicle or/and the seller, you must question everything.
  8. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually...I s exactly what’s been said....avoid low mile bikes of this vintage.

A: why? Everything metal inside will be fine. A few orings and rubber bits may have gone....maybe. The carb will need to be gone through, but the bikes not a basket case and will have plenty of life in it. Again...my bike is a 2000 mile bike 15 years old....and it needed new orings on the oil tubes and the carb cleaned out...actually just the adjustment screws.

B: good luck faking a digital odometer reading. Yes you COULD put on a new meter set....but that’s a lot of work for this kind of bike.

C: you offer me a low mile stored VW bus at 10grand or less and I’ll be at your door in hours...soon as I get a flight from JP. Seals are a small problem when you’re talking about bearings, piston rings, valves, etc....the kind of things that get REAL expensive as bikes get miles on them. You’ll also be looking at chains, sprockets, brakes, head bearings, etc etc... Give me a low mile bike any day....fix a few leaks MAYBE vs constant gremlins popping up....no thanks.

You’re talking about a rarity vs common production model. There’s no incentive for either party really. In this case...there WILL be other bikes available. In the case of the BMW the buyer was clouded by the deal of a lifetime feeling.

To have a bike YOU get to wear out from the beginning is a pretty nice thing rather than dealing with a bike someone has cared for in an unknown manner across 2 decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Your money, your rules.
  10. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also took into consideration the Dub was only sold in the USA for 2 years. Good deals on w650's are harder to come by here.
  11. jethrocephus

jethrocephus Most Honorable Right Minister of Folding Money Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was planning to look at that bike this weekend. You beat me to it....Congratulations!!
    mitchxout likes this.
  12. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Fair point. Although it still depends on how much you paid for it :-)
    Despite their scarcity they don't seem to be more expensive in the US than in Europe for an equivalent model year though.

Here W800s frequently pop up on the classified below 5k. I have seen a few at 4500€, with very low mileage. So W650s go from 1500€ for a rough example with 80000 miles, to 4500€ tops for a mint one with 10000 miles.
  13. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    I would imagine that used W800s on the market have probably depressed W650 values somewhat in areas where the W800 is available. It seems that here in the US W650 values have stayed pretty steady, at least over the last 10 years or so since I bought mine. I suspect the price is kept up by the relative rarity but also kept in check because they're not in super high demand either and not a lot of people know what they are.

I'm glad for the continued production of the W800 because it keeps Kawasaki making replacement parts and it keeps the aftermarket making parts and accessories that fit both bikes.
    Speedo66 likes this.
  14. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I got my '01 in about 2008 with 196 miles on it from a collector. No problems, crazy me I even used the original rubber until they wore out.
    jethrocephus and mitchxout like this.
  15. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    W800 production stopped in 2016. The prices here are much the same for the 650 and 800 but neither come up for sale very often.
  16. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Neither sold very well in its time (except in Germany), and there is still today a limited fan crowd of the bike, as in the modern retro arena Triumph is the tank badge to have.

Most W650s here are 99/01 models, although oftentimes first registered years later (my 99 for instance was registered in late 02). with the odd 05 or 06 coming up. In 2015 as I was picking up a rental bike in England, the showroom had one 2012 W800LE. When I pointed out to the sales manager that the bike was oddly old to be in a showroom, he said he had two other brand new W800s, 2011 and 2012 still in crates, that never sold....
  17. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Now that's a barn find!
  18. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 650s sold new here until 2003 but due to the demand batches of the later Japanese-only market ones were imported as used bikes as well. The original green W800s and the next black and silver model sold out every shipment pretty much as soon as they landed and only the last of the all black jobs were a bit slow to sell. Checking around the country there are only a couple of new ones (black Specials) still for sale. Kawasaki only brought in a couple of hundred each of the 650s and 800s over their combined 10 years of sale in Australia, and with our big bike market those small numbers got snapped up pretty fast. They were pricey bikes too.
  19. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing people do this because they think the Hinckley Bonnevilles don't look enough like the the Meriden ones, I'm not impressed.

ffd20d3ed52d446d82e57dcb32ec4499.jpg
    f1ade4e301d7476dabf907a8e025ff7d.jpg

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...el=W650&make=KAWASAKI&postcode=tw107qj&page=1

That 'site has as many W650's as W800's for sale which is quite rare, normally there are a lot more of the newer model available. I'm not a fan of the blacked out W800's that is not a good look IMO.
  20. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Says the guy who rides a W650 Ducanti Scrambler ? :rofl