New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. MikeGayner

MikeGayner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know a source that can supply a complete spoke/nipple set for a W650 and ship internationally? Does the 650 use the same spokes as the 800?

Thanks.
  2. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Scroll all the way down: http://w650shop.de/Service/service.html
  3. BravoFox

BravoFox Twin With a Kick

Oddometer:
    What Mattsz says.
    Oh, and did I mention your friendly neighborhood Kawasaki dealer ?
  4. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    The parts diagram shows the part numbers for the spokes are the same on W650 and W800:

Spoke, inner, front, right-hand, 183mm x 170D: 41029-1305 (qty 18)
    Spoke, inner, front, left-hand, 200mm x 170D: 41029-1304 (qty 18)

Spoke, inner, rear, 149mm x 103D: 41029-1300 (qty 18)
    Spoke, outer, rear, 148mm x 80D: 41030-1164 (qty 18)

W650 spoke nipple: 41032-1075 (qty 72)
    W800 spoke nipple: 41032-0005 (qty 72)

Not sure why the spoke nipples have a different part number. Could be a supercession thing too.

EDIT: I checked a better diagram that shows supercession numbers. Turns out the W650 p/n for the spoke nipples, 41032-1075, has been superseded to 41032-0005.
  5. The Jerk

Oddometer:
    To answer my own question and to archive that answer for this thread's knowledge base, I did some research on the google and found some nice diagrams and technical info on the Keihin CV/CVK carburetors. It looks like the choke (enricher) circuit does not pull fuel through the main jet but rather through its own jet (appropriately called the starter jet) which pulls directly from the float bowl.

So it could be that my mains are too small, or it could be that my needles were set too low. I pulled the needles last night. Again, I have the Factory Pro needles which are adjustable by placing a circlip around one of 5 grooves on the needle. I had set them on the middle groove upon initial installation. I lowered the clips one groove on each needle, thus effectively raising the height of the needle at all slide positions. This has the effect of richening the mixture. Haven't had a chance to test ride it yet but will report back.

While I was playing with carb stuff, I took a look at the stock needles. They are indeed different - the parts diagram shows different part numbers for right and left and upon side-to-side inspection, they are different lengths. They are also labeled differently at the top.
  6. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Jerk, I seem to recall at one time you were running mufflers with the baffles drilled or punched out. If you still have those, would that make a difference with the needle numbers you're running? Are they a suggestion from a kit?

I did the Capt. Jake mod some years ago. It involved shimming the needles and turning the adj. screw out 3 1/2 turns. I don't know if it made the bike any faster or affected fuel mileage, but it seemed to cure the factory lean condition. It would barely stay lit when first started under choke in very cold weather, cured it of that. Also got rid of a stumble and occasional stalling when cold.
  7. MikeGayner

Oddometer:
    I don't buy from local dealerships, they're a complete rip off in my country.
  8. The Jerk

Oddometer:
    Would be helpful to know where you are located to better recommend parts sources. cmsnl.com is based in the Netherlands if you're buying in Euros and they do ship internationally.
  9. The Jerk

Oddometer:
    It probably would, but I took off those punched-out mufflers years ago and sourced a stock set.
  10. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I remember them being a little loud one time I rode yours near the EAR Bar.
  11. MikeGayner

Oddometer:
    I'm in New Zealand.
  12. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    The W650 shop being in Germany, it won't make much sense either since you are located in NZ.
  13. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Maybe... but depending on what MikeGayner is after, Martin might be a very good choice. He's a pleasure to deal with! I find his prices on many things very reasonable, and he's shipped some smaller light-weight items to me in small envelopes at cost (just a couple of euros), making him my most affordable choice. Admittedly, some items are more difficult for us in North America to track down - I don't know what supply is like in New Zealand...
    BravoFox likes this.
  14. millenbop

millenbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I lived in New Zealand I would just order from webike!
  15. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    You beat me to it... :lol3
    I was gonna say "JAPAN" !
  16. The Jerk

Oddometer:
    Spent some more quality time with the rear wheel last night attempting to true it up further. It has definitely been an iterative process and a learning experience! The first time I tried, I got it within spec but there was still a hop visible in the wheel which I could feel when riding. Second time, I started from scratch, loosened all spokes, spent a lot of time first truing up the axial runout and then working the hop (radial runout) out. Got the hop out but in the process introduced a little more axial runout than I would like. So I could still feel it when riding.

Last night I spent some time with the wheel on the bike (and my magnetic-mount dial indicator base hanging upside down off the tailpipe) to work on that axial runout. It was overall pretty close to spec but there was a spot where it kind of quickly transitioned from one extreme of the spec. range to the other and I figured that was my wiggle, so I evened that out as best I could.

I don't see any evidence that the wheel rim is bent but it would not surprise me if I had a couple slightly bent spokes. That wheel has definitely seen the inside of some NYC potholes over the last 9 years.

Didn't have a lot of time for a long test ride but I didn't feel that vibration from the runout. Also with the needle adjustments I made yesterday, the fueling & throttle response feel 100x better. I'll have to do some more riding to make sure it's good but I did my best to recreate the lean surge and stumbling that I felt this past weekend and I didn't feel it with the new needle settings. The engine just ran smooth and pulled hard at all rpm ranges.
  17. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    I'm ashamed to acknowlege that my W's rear wheel is not true and has been running with two broken spokes for some time... :shog
  18. The Jerk

Oddometer:
    Get yourself a truing stand, a dial indicator, and a spoke torque wrench! It's good rainy day garage zen time. :D

[​IMG]
  19. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any ideas for twin vertical headlights? Preferably LED or HID. I’d like cut offs but not necessary. I’m finding nice LED units, but no buckets to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Check Galls