New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't recognize that style of top box, is it a Givi?

:hide
    89KLRBrett likes this.
  2. Big_Beats

Big_Beats Kawasaki W650

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I always wondered how useful the carb heaters were, so look forward to updates. The wiring looks so fragile I’m always expecting to accidentally tear it out when I’m getting my hands in there to clean/wipe down.
  3. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:

Naw, I think it's the latest model Touratech . . .
    89KLRBrett and Scoozi like this.
  4. BravoFox

BravoFox Twin With a Kick

Oddometer:
    164345220_1513406208855821_6642573539418620674_o.jpg
    clinton11, msahern5 and Webman like this.
  5. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    That tank badge is not doing it for me, that box in front of the engine is an eye-sore and I'm really not a fan of painted barrels on an all alloy engine. Other that that, I like it although I doubt that it will ever be for sale here in UK. And because everyone likes pictures, here's one from a couple of years ago...

DSCN0684.JPG
  6. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    Can't say as I like the look of that tarted-up "Maguro" either. When they've gotta rely on fancy tank badges and over-done engravings to make their machines look cool, they've left me behind. And gratefully so . . .
    (Note: I don't care for the look of the new W800 either . . . ).
  7. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Yes, it takes more than a fancy new tank badge! Oh, wait a minute... :D

[​IMG]
    Webman and BravoFox like this.
  8. clinton11

clinton11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha I love how kind of over the top the Meguro badge is... not a big fan of the new 800s but the Meguro version is a cool homage I think
    BravoFox likes this.
  9. Big_Beats

Big_Beats Kawasaki W650

Oddometer:
    EB8FC7F7-E8C8-4E56-99BB-AB854C27D123.jpeg

Front wheel off today and to the shop for new rubber, balancing, and rim run-out inspection (feat. W650 workshop manual as counterweight).

I cross-referenced The Jerk’s tutorial on steering head bearing maintainence as part of my prep for this (very easy) job, and I noticed something that hopefully will help. TJ backs both pinch bolts off to start, then uses two breaker bars to unscrew the axle, one as a ‘stop’ and the second doing the bulk of the work.
    I found the workshop manual way works much better for me: only undo the left hand pinch bolt to begin. This keeps the pressure on the right hand axle retaining nut, meaning you only need one breaker bar. After the axle is removed, then release the right hand pinch bolt and take out the retaining nut.
    clinton11 likes this.
  10. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    I had both wheels off my bike once - on the center stand, a piece of wood supporting the frame forward of the engine... and nothing else, since it remained balanced and stable. Then I made the mistake of casually leaning on the seat - I think I had the manual open there. The bike tipped back - not enough to dump it, but just enough for the front brace to drop to the floor. And there I was, holding the bike balanced on just the center stand, wondering what the heck are you gonna do now, dumbass?!? There was a foot-stool I was using as a seat, just close enough for me to reach out with my foot and slide it beneath the rear end to help hold the bike steady enough to reset the front brace - after which I promptly made one for the rear, propping up the axle...
  11. Cully G

Cully G n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, all. Noob here. When I got a 2000 w650 last year, I thought it would be just a nimble around-town bike. But I fell in love, and don't use my other ride ('95 Triumph Thunderbird) any more. As I get ready to try touring on the Wubya, I want to upgrade the suspension. I found a part of this thread waaaay back talking about rear Hagons and Race Tech Emulators up front.
    1. Looks like there's a choice between the Hagon "Road & Classic" and "2810" shocks. Besides the adjustability (3 steps vs 20) and amount of shiny bits, is there a difference that justifies the price?
    2. Dave Quinn seems to be not in business anymore. What Hagon supplier do y'all use for good customer service these days?
    3. Reading Race Tech's great how-to page, I think rebuilding my forks and adding the emulators is beyond my skill/comfort level. Any recommendations on shops around the Minneapolis/St. Paul area who'd be good at this? Or individuals who could help me through the process?
    Thank you!
  12. Wil-BE

Wil-BE n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm Wil from Belgium, owner of a W650 since last month!
    I'm 29 and just passed my license to ride bikes bigger than 125cc.
    I used to ride a Suzuki Van Van for the last three years.

The W650 I purchased is a 1999 MY with 70 000km on the odo for 3500€.

(See thumbnail)

I absolutely love this bike. But it appears it has a bunch of problems.
    The one that concerns me the most is regarding some engine noises, so I'm reaching out to you to see if you could eventually help me.

1. The bike rides fine but vibrates quite a lot (don't know what a sane level of vibration is since it's my first "big bike" but it vibrates 10 times more than my Suzuki Van Van).

2. It's very noisy! The noise comes from the right side mainly, near the cams/rockers/bevel gear.
    It gets louder as the bike get hotter. This is what concerns me the most.
    I first thought it was rod knock but the bike wouldn't ride so well I guess.

3. It radiates heat quite a lot (seems normal).

4. The bike makes some kind of buzz/whistle when on throttle.

5. It has a fuel leak, but it's going to be taken care of.

Here's a video after a 15 minutes ride.
    Of all the videos I see on YouTube, only mine has such pronounced engine noises.

It's currently filled with 10w40 and the oil level seems to be above what's recommended.

It's going to the mechanic in two weeks but I wanted your opinions first.
    Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Attached Files:

• w650.png
      w650.png
      File size:
      626.2 KB
      Views:
  13. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    Check valves, re-shim if necessary. Probably is!

Check carb balance; I used a Twin Max. Poorly adjusted valves and out of balance carbs can cause vibration. Be aware the W650 does vibrate. While not nearly as much as the brit bikes it emulates, it still vibrates a bit.

If you don't know what kind of oil is in the bike, change it!. Not wanting to start an oil thread, but use a reputable brand specifically for motorcycles. Check your owner's manual for oil weight . . . OM's might still be available through a dealer . . . maybe. Several posters here have put up links for a PDF version of the service manual, which can answer a lot of questions for you.

Clean/service the air filters.

If any unpleasant noise that remains, could be the bevel drive. There are a few brave souls here who've adjusted those. I'm not one of them!
    Webman likes this.
  14. Wil-BE

Wil-BE n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your answer!
    The oil is Castrol 10W40 that was put 2 years ago / 1 000km (according to the service record).
    What kind of frightens me is that the source of the noise is on the right side, where the bevel gears are... That might be the reason why the woman who sold it to me actually wanted to sell it...
    What should I ask to my mechanic?
    - Checking the valves clearance (and getting rid of the Clean Air System in the meantime)
    - Seal the fuel leaks
    - Adjust the carbs
    - Anything more?

Have a good day
  15. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    If you need to "tell your mechanic" what he should check, your mechanic is probably not the right person to to fix your W650.

Bring the bike to a Kawasaki dealer where a TRAINED mechanic will take care of it and the repairs will be guaranteed.
  16. BravoFox

Oddometer:
  17. Wil-BE

Wil-BE n00b

Oddometer:
    The guy is highly capable. I just want to make him gain some time.
    I don't know if he has worked on a W650 before that's why. But he specialized in old Brit Twin so I guess a W650 shouldn't feel to far apart.
  18. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Fair enough... Your bike, your rules.

Besides being vertical twins internal combustion engines, the technologies and concepts are worlds apart between a 2000s W650 and any British twin from the 70s and before.
    Just sayin'
  19. clinton11

clinton11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1 - I can't speak to the difference in models but I got the bottom tier (I'm guessing Road & Classic) Hagon shocks for my 77 CB550 while Dave Quinn was still in business and, although I've heard nothing but praise for Hagons, I remain unimpressed and if I rode that bike more I would change them out.

I just did a 4k mile trip on my W650 and I went with these shocks in the rear (https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/TEC_Black_Alloy_Remote_Reservoir_LOWERING_Shocks_p/re-sh-22a-b-l.htm) which at their lowest setting raises the rear 5mm and I've been really happy with them. Definitely changes the look a bit though. Lots of people go with YSS but I found the cost with shipping to the US to be a little prohibitive.

3 - I also didn't feel like messing with the emulators so I went with single-rate springs from Race Tech (using their recommended rate for my weight), slightly thicker fork oil, and cheap preload adjuster fork caps off of ebay and have been really happy with the results.

Sorry to not really answer any of your questions, but maybe a little insight for you!
    Webman likes this.
  20. clinton11

clinton11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see your point about trying to save the mechanic some time (and yourself some money) but I agree that you should try to find a mechanic that has worked on Ws before because diagnosing and addressing any issues with the bevel gears can be somewhat of a specialized skill.

Luckily you're in Europe and most of the Kawasaki mechanics should have experience with Ws -- here in the US I'd be afraid to take it to a Kawa mechanic unless I knew for sure they are familiar with Ws. That's why I replaced my bevel shaft o-rings myself. And it's hard to tell from a youtube video through my laptop speakers, but my guess would be your bevel gears need some adjustment. Just a guess though, and I would take care of the easier stuff before diving into that (valve clearance check is a pretty simple procedure).
    Scoozi, Webman and BravoFox like this.