New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. WnRn

WnRn Left right out

Oddometer:
    Shock horror.. hehehehehehe.. I did price some WWII surplus ones. Can only get them out of the UK and they cost a bomb plus postage to Australia. :(
  2. BravoFox

BravoFox Twin With a Kick

Oddometer:
    For the longest time I had these NOS British Army bags (used to carry portable Milan missile hardware) on mine... Just incredibly practical, rugged and huge !

IMG_1711.jpg
    Philthy64, Webman and WnRn like this.
  3. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've just noticed that you've removed the airbox and are using pod filters, so obvious question what does it run like?
  4. BravoFox

BravoFox Twin With a Kick

Oddometer:
    IMG_3572 (1).jpg
    Philthy64 and WnRn like this.
  5. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Somewhere, a KLR owner is looking for his missing crate.
    Big_Beats, WnRn and Webman like this.
  6. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. WnRn

WnRn Left right out

Oddometer:
    The pods had been fitted by the previous owner so I can't compare to standard airbox.
    The pods were fitted professional, carbs re-jetted and dyno-tuned.
    Scoozi likes this.
  8. WnRn

WnRn Left right out

Oddometer:
    :-):imaposer:imaposer
  9. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    Do you know what that Dino readout was for torque and horsepower, by chance?
  10. WnRn

WnRn Left right out

Oddometer:
    Max Power = 46.39
    Max Torque = 39.98

Both down on factory figures. But it is a 20 year old engine.
  11. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    Not down by very much at all. IIRC (I’m away from home) mine dyno’d at about 49.8. HP.

Factory numbers are at the crank I think. Our numbers are at the rear wheel.
    Philthy64 likes this.
  12. WnRn

WnRn Left right out

Oddometer:
    Well there ya go it is ok for a 20 year old engine. :)
    The main jets for the pods where changed to 140s.
  13. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    Hey everybody, just a friendly reminder that I still have a complete factory exhaust system in really good shape that I’m giving away FOR FREE to anyone who wants/needs it. It’s stock except the PO had removed the baffles from the mufflers so it’s a little bit louder than stock (but not obnoxious). It’s located in Brooklyn, NY. I think this would have to be a local pickup / delivery situation because it would cost a small fortune to ship.

Any takers please hit me with a PM.
    moto49, oapnutter and BravoFox like this.
  14. Jakerrider

Jakerrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi! I do not need the exhaust system! BUT I made this account on her specifically to reach out to you for some insight on my 2000 Kawasaki w650. Bought it brand new 20 years ago. Bike only has 250 miles on it. It say in the garage all this time. Finally started working on it. Bike will only run on the “PRI” position. When I put the petcock to “ON” it loses its power, only accelerates quarter throttle not even and then Boggs down and eventually stalls. I was also breaking the bike down after messing with the pilot screws in the carb and I can’t seem to find where the black tube goes that is attached to the center of the carb. Let me know if you can help! Thanks!

Attached Files:

15. Jakerrider

Jakerrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi! I do not need the exhaust system! BUT I made this account on her specifically to reach out to you for some insight on my 2000 Kawasaki w650. Bought it brand new 20 years ago. Bike only has 250 miles on it. It say in the garage all this time. Finally started working on it. Bike will only run on the “PRI” position. When I put the petcock to “ON” it loses its power, only accelerates quarter throttle not even and then Boggs down and eventually stalls. I was also breaking the bike down after messing with the pilot screws in the carb and I can’t seem to find where the black tube goes that is attached to the center of the carb. Let me know if you can help! Thanks! I assume it is just for drainage. Also one more thing. The left air box, the bottom piece that sticks out downwards broke off. Am not sure if it is important or not...

Attached Files:

16. Big_Beats

Big_Beats Kawasaki W650

Oddometer:
    Does it do the same with the petcock on Reserve? If so that’d point to a problem with the vacuum function- not enough, or no, fuel passing through. A rebuild or replacement will be needed.
    Have you had fuel sat in the tank the whole time?

I’d be prepared for a lot more similar issues after having a bike sat practically still for twenty years- gaskets, seals and whatnot.

The more knowledgable guys on this thread will chime in soon to help im sure!
    Jakerrider likes this.
  17. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Wow, a real low-mile-er! You may have your work cut out for you getting it running well if it's been sitting unused that long - rubber parts and seals prefer exercise! See next...

The petcock is vacuum actuated - when set to "on" it should not flow fuel when the engine isn't running. When the engine turns, it creates the vacuum that opens the petcock and allows fuel to flow. "Prime" bypasses the vacuum actuation should you need to fill the carbs with fuel without the engine turning. Your description of how the engine stops working sounds just like what happens when you stop fuel flow altogether - which is probably exactly what is happening. Yours works on "prime," so I'd say there's a problem with the vacuum actuation - these petcocks have an actuation diaphragm which has been known to fail. I know you can buy a brand new OEM vacuum petcock, or you can replace it with a manual (on/off/reserve) version if you block off the vacuum line which operates the petcock. There are also repair kits which may solve your problem. Here's an example from eBay, note the aforementioned diaphragm on the right (google search for links to current suppliers):

petcock repair.jpg

By the way - make sure the shutoff position actually stops fuel flow! When I bought mine, the petcock was slowly but constantly leaking fuel by even when the engine wasn't running, and I ended up with fuel in the crankcase.

Interesting - this is the third time I've posted about this very item in the past two weeks, twice previously on two other forums...

The pipe in your photos is the carb vent pipe - it connects the insides of the carbs to the atmosphere. It runs from the carbs over the air box on the left side and terminates behind the electrical panel which holds the battery in place. The factory service manual has many diagrams showing pipe and wiring layouts in the appendix... do you have a copy? Diagrams reproduced below:

Top view:

W650 Hose 1.jpg

Side view:

W650 Hose 2.jpg

Here's a photo - the red line shows the vent pipe, and the dotted portion indicates where it curves down into a special channel behind the "electrical panel":

IMG_5277.JPG

And here's what the back side of the panel looks like - you can see the end of the vent pipe at the top:

IMG_5276.JPG

When you reinstall that pipe, make sure you don't pinch it anywhere along its length - you want air to be able to move freely through it!

The only fittings I know of on the bottoms of both air box sides are drain pipes; they're thin pipes which extend down between the engine and swing arm. Their ends are capped; you're meant to occasionally open them and responsibly drain whatever ends up in there - usually oil residue from the crankcase breather...

Attached Files:

moto49 and Jakerrider like this.
  18. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Big_Beats beat me to the punch... I type too slowly!
    Jakerrider likes this.
  19. Big_Beats

Big_Beats Kawasaki W650

Oddometer:
    I’d say the detail in your posting trumps my brief reply in every way Mattsz. Nice info!
    Jakerrider likes this.
  20. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    :D

Well, presumably Thomas Jefferson said, "The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do."