New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Jakerrider

Jakerrider n00b

Oddometer:
    I haven’t tried reserve I will tho thank you for this!!!
  2. Jakerrider

Jakerrider n00b

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

3. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Yup - drain...
  4. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Trying reserve is a good way to diagnose the problem... but if the tank has been sitting for a long time with old fuel in it (as Big_Beats asked about), be prepared to have some undesirable stuff which could be at the bottom of the tank try its darnedest to get into your carbs...
    Big_Beats likes this.
  5. Big_Beats

Big_Beats Kawasaki W650

Oddometer:
    Hadn’t considered that. Good point- proceed with caution.
  6. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vacuum petcocks are a PITA. There's a standard Yamaha petcock that's a direct swap, or get a rebuild kit that can deal with ethanol if you have it in your fuel

Rebuild kit for the carbs, new jets if the old ones are gummed, ditto float needle, o rings and gaskets.
    Webman likes this.
  7. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    Flush out the tank, maybe add an in-line fuel filter to take out any crap left in the tank or rust
    Webman likes this.
  8. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check the intake stubs are not leaking and the airbox boots too. Probably hardened with age, can be a bugger to fit, I think you may be able to soften them in hot water
  9. BravoFox

BravoFox Twin With a Kick

Oddometer:
    Rubber parts are just gone.... It has hardly run for 20 years, what do you expect?
    Have the carbs rebuilt by a Kawasaki dealer.
  10. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck finding one that will do it. In my area, none of the dealers will work on bikes over 10 years old. You will either have to find an independent shop or learn to do it yourself.
    BravoFox likes this.
  11. Jakerrider

Jakerrider n00b

Oddometer:
    I took apart the carbs, cleaned everything and put it back in. I also ran some seafoam through the bike. On prime and reserve it runs literally perfectly. No problems with anything. When put to the ON position it Boggs down/loses acceleration and stalls. So this is because of a vacuum leak somewhere in the bike, or a broken petcock?
  12. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a petcock problem if it runs fine on prime. It's either no vacuum or a problem with the diaphragm from memory. You do have a full tank of gas, I'm assuming..
    Jakerrider likes this.
  13. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    From an earlier post
  14. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto
  15. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    If it runs well on Prime AND Reserve that also points to a petcock problem but maybe a slightly different one. The Reserve function is also based on vacuum, so if it runs on reserve, that would seem to imply that the vacuum diaphragm is intact (easy test, hook up a hand-held vacuum pump to the petcock and see if it holds vacuum). The On setting of the petcock just has its own separate pipe inside the tank that takes fuel from a higher level than the Reserve setting. So perhaps it is just that pipe that is clogged with varnish or other old-gas crud. Why not pull the petcock out of the tank and see if you can clean it up?

And of course yes, with a 20+ year old bike that hasn’t been run basically at all its whole life, you can assume everything rubber on the bike will be failing shortly, including all oil seals.

I hope to baby Jebus that you are not trying to ride that thing on 20-year-old tires.
    Manifold and oapnutter like this.
  16. MikeGayner

MikeGayner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My very, very slow project is still progressing. Finally got the wheel restored and had a set of tyres fitted. Still a lot of work needed to get it on the road, but a nice milestone.

IMG_20210515_105041.jpg
    IMG_20210515_105056.jpg
    cnoonz, moto49, clinton11 and 6 others like this.
  17. Big_Beats

Big_Beats Kawasaki W650

Oddometer:
    Sorry for bumping a year old post (page 446, pictures included on original post), but I’d really like more info on this as I’m fitting heated grips this weekend.
    Has anybody here with the stock bars changed grips, fitted bar end weights or mirrors and had to deal with this mystery plug? How is it removed? I’m concerned about having to leave the bar ends open to the elements.
  18. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never dealt with it; I just installed new bars in a better-for-me bend.
  19. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t own one of these, but I had a Yamaha bar with threaded inserts pressed into the bar ends; I just got a large drill bit and drilled it out. You could try other techniques, but this was pretty easy for me.

replacing the bars is also an option, $75 or so gets you the exact bend you want. I already had the drill bit in my case, so this option was free.
  20. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's looking good so far, I'm guessing from the tires you've fitted that it'll be a tracker when you've finished?