New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Cully G

Cully G n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, MacGuyver!
    WnRn likes this.
  2. Big_Beats

Big_Beats Kawasaki W650

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you’re still progressing with your project, Cnoonz. Looking forward to seeing how it shapes up!
    Webman likes this.
  3. chupa88

chupa88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey folks,

I have a 2000 W with 71k miles. I have a pretty regular occurrence where my second gear would somewhat violently bounce back into neutral. I say "violently" because I can feel and hear the shifter bounce up and down on the toe box of my boot sometimes. Other times, it would just drop back to neutral without the bounce and sometimes it would shift into second with any issues. In the past, it would drop back to neutral once in a blue moon which was my cue to change the oil and it would usually go away for another six months or so. But starting in the last few months, this bouncing started. Now, I just keep the shifter up with my toes for an extra second before I release the clutch lever. I checked the free play in the clutch cable and it seems ok.

Anyone know what this could be? Cluth Spring? Clutch going bad? Clutch basket? The gear itself?

Thanks!
  4. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be a notched or worn selector or weak or broken return springs in the external shift mechanism. If you are mechanically inclined you can get to the unit from the left side of the bike:

2010-2011_W_800_pdf__page_313_of_537_.jpg
    chupa88 and Webman like this.
  5. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    Basically it has not fully engaged. Could be worn dogs, selector drum, selector fork, etc or clutch although given it only happens in second I suspect it's not clutch related

You should release the clutch whilst still holding the gear lever up to ensure positive engagement. Only fix is to get someody to look at the transmission if you can't service it yourself.
    chupa88 likes this.
  6. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not really a very good off-road rider, in fact I probably do 99% of my riding on the road which is why I run road tires.. Having said that I quite like riding on gravel roads it's just that there's not a lot of them where I live. I have discovered this YouTube channel by Gavin Critchley who has recorded himself riding some Green Lanes (legally they're called Byways) that are open to vehicles. The one below which he rode a couple of weeks ago I did today, it was drier near the end as we haven't had any rain recently. The hardest part was where it got steeper and the rain had formed a gully, I reckon a good rider on a GS could get up there even though it is mostly single track.

oapnutter and Webman like this.
  7. Big_Beats

Big_Beats Kawasaki W650

Oddometer:
    Wiltshire Byways also documents a lot of green lane routes, further afield than what the name would suggest. I’d quite like a TR250 to try my hand at some of it...
  8. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, he does much more challenging stuff than I do, although I have done the old drove road into Salisbury. I think A 250 trail 'bike would be better suited for riding Green Lanes, but W650 copes up to a point.
  9. Big_Beats

Big_Beats Kawasaki W650

Oddometer:
    I’d definitely like to do some of the tamer ones on my W. What puts me off is not knowing what a lane might be like further up and not being able to extricate myself from the situation! I really enjoy poring over maps in general but picking out all the BOAT routes is a fun exercise.
    Scoozi and Webman like this.
  10. Dirty Dicks Motos

Dirty Dicks Motos n00b

Oddometer:
    Everyone loves pictures right? :)

I've been quiet for a while but pretty damn busy! New website, new workshop, new products!

If anyone is interested in some bling or brakes, I've got you covered now.

Now available, the ultimate brake kit for your W800, W650 or W400. Give your bike the brakes it deserves. One finger braking and classic retro looks. This is the best set of brakes you will ever get for the W, the braking is easy, progressive and as instant as you want it.
    • 320mm Floating brake disk, 1KG lighter than stock. Disk by EBC UK or Tourmax Japan.
    • 16mm Radial Master Cylinder with integrated fluid res. in a retro style. CNC'd from billet aluminium and anodised. Manfufactured by Discacciati in Italy to the highest standards.
    • 6-piston Billet brake caliper, made for me by Harrison Billet and machined from solid blocks of billet aluminium. TUV approved, UK made to exceptional standards.
    • Braided steel brake line, made by Hel in the UK, the company of choice for any kind of braking performance
    These are are the best quality parts available and I guarantee you won't be disappointed. I have been running this kit on my personal bike for a couple months and the braking difference is phenomenal.
    The kit is available in Black or Silver or mixed and is priced at £780 plus shipping.

I have also had some very nice billet fork braces made up. These sold very quickly and I only have two left, 1 silver and 1 in black. £130 for the silver and £147 for the black. The silver is polished and the black has been beautifully anodised by the aerospace company down the road.

Worldwide shipping no problem. DM or email [email protected]

In other news, I have been hard at work getting another sled built. This one will be similar to the last but in green this time. It's being built for the Auto Royale which is a fancy car show at a fancy manor house. There will be a lot fancy green cars there so figured Jaguar Racing Green would be a suitable colour!

Cheers
    Rick.
    www.dirtydicksmotos.com

Attached Files:

chupa88 and oapnutter like this.
  11. kfoster

kfoster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sending you an email regarding a fork brace!
  12. cnoonz

cnoonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If anyone has more info or pics of the bike Scoozi posted, would you pass them along, please. ( or any other W650 motor/ Featherbed frame combos)
  13. cnoonz

cnoonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TJ, Do you still have the Factory Pro carb Re-calibration Kit in your W? My carbs need some work. My plugs are getting seriously carbon deposits in just a few miles, since I took it out of winter storage. They will need a tear down and a good cleaning, at least. Based on your experience would you recommend the kit? If not, what jets and mods are you running now. NB: I think my carbs are nearly stock, but I have found some notes that might indicate I installed some Factory Pro needles many years ago. Thanks,
    C Noonz
  14. cnoonz

cnoonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Image I asked about:[​IMG]
  15. cnoonz

cnoonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Rick,

Took some time to check out your new website this morning. Looks terrific! Nicely showcases your skills and proprietary W650 components. I'm looking forward to ordering both the new front brake and the fork brace to use on my Nort-Saki project. Thanks again, for providing some "W" parts to me and for your help in locating other W650 used parts in Europe and the UK.
    CNoonz
    Dirty Dicks Motos and Webman like this.
  16. kfoster

kfoster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Upside….This bike is really fun to ride on dirt roads. Downside……dirt is really dirty! 2397C2D4-153D-4811-9BE7-A7C6AC34D1E0.jpeg

Attached Files:

Scoozi, Webman, oapnutter and 2 others like this.
  17. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    Great looking W!
  18. BravoFox

BravoFox Twin With a Kick

Oddometer:
    2016-07-17 11.39.44.jpg Photo0455 (2).jpg
    MFP, kfoster, Speedo66 and 3 others like this.
  19. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Very "1970's transparency" looking... I like it!
    BravoFox likes this.
  20. Cully G

Cully G n00b

Oddometer:
    Thought my W was just going to be my around-town bike, but I like it so much I thought I'd try touring on it. It came with a Corbin saddle, very comfy but the pillion is an awkward shape to strap luggage to. IMG_1010.JPG

Inspired by WWII messenger bikes, I swapped the pillion for a low platform.
    IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

Ready for the road! IMG_1146.JPG