New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. msahern5

msahern5 Jumping at Shadows

Oddometer:
    Bit of coincidence.

I recently went to Ky/ southern Indiana for some genealogical research and a bit of light touring. My internal debate was to take either the R75 or the W since they were the lightest of my bikes. A 3/4 Ton truck sits so tall that loading/unloading is a bit of a high wire act. I ended up taking the W650.

Really enjoyed the W while doing backroads in Kentucky near the Ohio River, but I missed the R75’s relaxed pace on the more open roads in Indiana. I still think a light overdrive 6th gear on the W650 would have been a good idea.

Overall, it was a good couple of days. Weather was outstanding, highs in the low 70’s. Sorry I didn’t take better pics. FF0A6D83-6C2F-4D9E-9CD7-6E1035848598.jpeg 9E7375A8-A834-46FC-8A27-CC033DEAFC06.jpeg D2466E02-358E-4B95-B2E6-88CE91F4C1C8.jpeg
  2. BravoFox

BravoFox Twin With a Kick

Oddometer:
    yes Mattsz... MITAS Classic, 3.25x19 and 4.00x18
  3. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
  4. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    The Girls IMG_3718.jpg
  5. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Valve adjustment done. New chain and sprockets. New sparkplugs. New shoes.
    Feels like a new bike!

IMG_3727.jpg IMG_3728.JPG
  6. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    How far off were your valves? I've done one adjustment, at a bout 13K miles. Even then, perhaps even the first valve adjust in the machine's life (I bought it used) they weren't far off. IIRC I only needed two shims and then only one size difference.
  7. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Intake were fine, exhaust were slightly off... I ended up changing two and swapping two. Not bad for 80000 kms.
    Last time they were done was 20000 kms ago, and I could feel the cold starts were not as strong as they used to, and she needed the choke on for a little longer than usual.
    She's back to her normal flawless self ! :clap

Edit: not as flawless as I had bragged about.... I thought I could get away without changing the head cover gasket... Well, I can't.. :bluduh
    Webman likes this.
  8. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    IMG_3747.JPG
    Philthy64, Scoozi and Webman like this.
  9. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Anything we need to know about your tank, BF?
  10. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like those stand-off tubes for your soft saddlebags. I wish someone (like, oh, I don't know; Kawasaki?) would offer some for the current W800s, but ones that attach to the top shock mount and the passenger pegs, just like those commonly seen on Bonnevilles. I'd like that better than having one end share the fender bolt with the luggage rack that Kawasaki does offer.

JET
  11. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Is there any difference in rear frames between earlier 650s and current model 800s? I seem to remember those racks are Fehling I bought second hand.
    http://www.w650shop.de/Tourist/tourist.html

They should fit both models.
  12. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Oh, that....

Well, I tested a new PlastiDip product known as "Luxury Metal". That Burgundy Red I like very much. I did add a couple coats of glossifier though... (Please ignore the oil stains... The gasket is on its way and all should be back to normal by next weekend :knary)

IMG_3752 (1).jpg
  13. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    I like the red, too! Nice that it's temporary, in case you tire of it. Does plasti-dip play better with gasoline than it used to?
  14. Philthy64

Philthy64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am lucky enough to own a few bikes but maintenance is costly. Consumables such as tyres, chains and spockets, brake pads etc only get replaced as needed. Because of this, it's not often the stars align and you have to replace them all at once. While it is costly - what a difference it makes. Enjoy :beer
  15. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    Matter of quantity... A few drops won't do any harm. The whole tank pouring gasoline as your bike tipped over will wash out the plastidip... But as you said, opportunity to get a new color ! :1drink

That's what happened on the airhead a few weeks ago... My buddy rushed over with a towel to absorb the gas that had spilled over, which actually made things worse... If left to dry, the plastidip would have most likely remained intact... Oh well...

IMG_3643.JPG
  16. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    True, yet not as costly as on a new/recent bike... A friend of mine owns a recent Triumph, and the first service cost him close to €800... There is hardly a thing one can do on a modern bike besides washing it! Any issue requires taking the bike to the dealership where they plug it in and get a diagnosis. Just pulling the laptop they charge you €150 !
    So all things considered, for my 20,000 kms a year on both bikes, the cost are rather low....

And we won't even mention insurance... :2cry
    Philthy64 and Webman like this.
  17. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Oh well, indeed!
  18. Motocicleta

Motocicleta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bevel trouble…I was out riding my 2001 W650 a few weeks ago when the engine just quit. I coasted to the side of the road and tried to restart. It sounded a bit strange when cranking and would not restart.

When I brought it home I tried the kickstart and it seemed to have very low compression. Usually I really have to jump on the kickstart to turn it over. Not any more.

I started to take apart the engine. I expected a damaged bevel. I took the valve cover off and the upper bevel looked fine. I then went to remove the bevel shaft cover. When I did I noticed the circlip that keeps the bevel drive shaft halfs spaced apart had moved up, out of its groove. This allows the shaft to drop down and the crank and cam are no longer connected. I removed the lower bevel and it looked fine as well.

I bought a new circlip, and reassembled according to the manual. The cam has marks on it that I lined up as instructed while the pistons were at the TDC mark.

It restarted and I thought I was all set. But once I test rode the bike, it warmed up, started backfiring and had the power of a 125cc at full throttle. I guess my question is: what am I missing here ? Is there further damage to the engine ? I did not remove the head yet. Am I way off with the engine timing ? Any help appreciated. Thanks, Paul
  19. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be 180 degrees out on the timing so pull the rocker cover to check that the full series of valve opening/closing sequences do match the marks, but if that's OK, do a compression test to check if any of the valves were hit when the shaft let go. If you have access to an engine endoscope you can check the valves and piston crowns for damage without pulling the head.
    Philthy64 and Webman like this.
  20. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I don't really know on the W engine, but often the valves hit the pistons when valve timing is lost. Bent valves don't seal well. I hope this engine is a "clearance" engine, which means the valves never interfere with the pistons, even if the valves are extended when the piston reaches TDC.