New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Motocicleta

Motocicleta Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thank you both for the advice. I will check on the 180 out on timing. I have ordered an adapter to fit my compression gauge, so I will check that soon. Those endoscopes must be very useful for tricky jobs. I think maybe it is time for me to get one.
    Webman likes this.
  2. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    A running engine with bent valves makes a pretty terrible noise - and usually won't start anyway, so fingers crossed that it is the timing, which is easy to get wrong on a 360 degree twin.
  3. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Motocicleta, sorry to hear about your unusual engine problem! Please keep us updated, it would be great if we could all find out what happened and whether we might take steps to prevent it...
    BravoFox likes this.
  4. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm still not understanding how it could be out of timing. Being 180 degrees out is a problem if you are setting valves and the 180 degrees is a cam rotation measurement. TDC for the crank is TDC. If you were 180 degrees out on the crank, that means timing the valves at BDC. The cam timing defines which stroke its on (power or intake). The ignition system hits both cylinders each revolution....so if its lined up at TDC with the cam marks, it's good to go.

in other words, one doesnt have to be careful on which revolution the crank is on when the cam is not tied to it. Its only once the cam is tied to it, then it matters on which rotation you are on.

Another remote possibility for the running issue could be a sheared timing key due to whatever strange ignition happened when the valves became untethered. The BOTH the spark and cam timing would be off (because the TDC mark on the flywheel isn't marking true TDC). You'd have to pull the flywheel/stator cover to look.
  5. jethrocephus

jethrocephus Most Honorable Right Minister of Folding Money Supporter

Oddometer:
    AA2D2B8F-12AE-459A-AF17-34CB4ABE46EA.jpeg

Finally got this thing all straightened out, new chain/ sprockets, fork seals, cleaned carbs/ new float bowl gaskets, air filters, petcock, sparky plugs, new turn signals, deleted clean air system or whatever it was, new tires, fancy shmancy chain guard. Missed riding it, such a fabulous all around bike. Oh, yeah- changed the oil, hahahahaha.
    Philthy64, MFP, clinton11 and 5 others like this.
  6. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Just posted this on the Facebook group, too...

I'm thinking about trying out a Dart flyscreen on my W650... anyone in the USA have one going spare they might want to sell?
  7. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    No; I use mine all summer and fall. They work well and deflect air from your lower torso. Obviously, plenty of wind "north" of that. Airflow around helmet is clean and buffet-free. I go to a bigger windscreen in the winter.

I think most folks who have the Dart like them. If you can't find a used one, the new one's aren't that dear--assuming they're still easy to order.
  8. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Thanks ORexpat - the effect you describe is exactly what I'm looking for. I see them for sale new for around US$120, shipped. Not too bad, as you say. But it never hurts to ask if anyone has one sitting around...
  9. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know . . . I'm a cheap bastard myself. I would ask too!!!
  10. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Most of the reviews I read match yours, but occasionally I hear about someone who finds the wind buffeting on their helmet from the Dart too much to bear - which I really don't want (been there, done that with a larger screen on my old Royal Enfield). So it would be nice to try one "on the cheap" - and maybe one of those dissatisfied reviewers wants to get rid of one...
  11. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Dart offers a 30-day money-back guarantee - sort of. Just pay return shipping. But "one of" their FAQ pages says return shipping is to the UK (the "other" one is a blank page) ... so that could get expensive. That same FAQ page - the one that isn't blank - says to return within 14 days of receipt. So, more info required...
  12. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    I really can’t imagine the Dart increasing helmet buffeting, it’s only slightly larger than a fly screen. My original thought when I bought mine was that I wouldn’t notice much difference than having no screen at all. But I did notice; not as much pressure on my lower torso. No change to wind around my helmet that I could detect.

I’m about 5’8” and have lower “euro touring” bars. So I’m a bit shorter than average and lean forward a bit.
    Webman likes this.
  13. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Same, and same results. Dart makes a really nice product. Much more well finished than an MRA or some other aftermarket options. I have one on my R nineT now too.
  14. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!

To follow up: Annette from Dart replied to an email I sent:

"Hi there, Yes the return address would be to the UK, it may be worth checking out some of our dealers in the US and see if they have this model in stock and what their return policy is."

https://www.dartflyscreens.com/pages/dealers
  15. discoganya

discoganya Engineer, Rider, Dad

Oddometer:
    Nice looking W there, what tires and mufflers are those?
  16. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I have a Suzuki factory flyscreen from the first generation SV650 naked on my bike.

Had it left over from my SV, fit perfectly, and works well.

They show up on EBay from time to time. Sorry, away, so no photo.

Edit: found one, see below.
  17. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
  18. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good fit, thanks for the suggestion Speedo66!
    Speedo66 likes this.
  19. BravoFox

BravoFox Twin With a Kick

Oddometer:
    Mattsz..... They are various factors which influence how efficient or unpleasant a screen could be.... From experience on the airhead:

- Screen size and angle
    - Type of handlebars
    - Rider's size
    - Type of helmet worn
    - Riding stance.

That's why feedback may vary from one user to the next. And the answer is pretty much to try one screen for oneself.
  20. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    Agreed, BF! But some of the variables can be removed, or at least their effects lessened, if we consider the same bike. That's why I'm looking for input from other W650 riders. On the other hand, I'm looking to buy a screen from someone who probably doesn't like theirs... :D
    BravoFox likes this.