New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    How did you get the two new cables threaded in to the throttle grip housing? I just for the life of me could not figure out how to make it happen when I was doing the install, but if you can tell me how you did it, I'd love to go back and install the other short throttle cable I have.

As for the cables binding, check your cable routing (there is a cable routing chart in the back of the service manual). If you route them the wrong way around something, they can definitely bind.
  2. zwish

zwish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I threaded them in at the throttle grip housing as the first step. They enter the housing at two different heights so you have to do the shorter of the two first, then once that is in, you should have enough space to thread the other cable into the housing. I'll try to take a video this evening.

As for the biding, hopefully my routing was just off. I'm going to give it another go tonight.
  3. The Jerk

Oddometer:
    I guess my only other suggestion is to make sure you have the opening cable and the closing cable connected to the right parts of the throttle linkage on the carbs. If you lose track of which is which, operating the twist grip while seeing what the cable ends do to the throttle linkage should point out which is which.
  4. The Jerk

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I compiled a list of links to my how-to posts and put it at the top of the first post in this thread. For easy reference in the future.
    Webman likes this.
  5. rxkea

rxkea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :scratch:scratch:scratch I saw pic when I put it on. Did it again and looks to be there now.
  6. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:

Still can't see the photo. But it sounds good!
  7. rxkea

rxkea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Weird, I can see it even when I'm not logged in....
  8. rxkea

rxkea Adventurer

Oddometer:

Was a huge improvement for me too. Even over the Avons I had on before that I'd used cos they were great on an R80ST.
  9. zwish

zwish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Success!

Not as much of a pain in the ass as yesterday hahah. I found that I could not get the throttle cables to operate smoothly with the brake line where it was. I ended up swapping the brake line FIRST, bleeding the brakes, and THEN moving onto the throttle cables, and finally the clutch cable last. (Just as a note to anyone who goes the route that I did and purchases the cables individually; you do not need the clips that hold the clutch cable to the frame or the washers for the new brake line. You can used the stock ones no problem. On the clips, just remove them carefully, they seem pretty sturdy).

I also found that while installing the throttle cables at the carbs, I had to install the ball end of the cable into the carb and then pull really hard to get the housing into the retainer bracket. There just wasn't enough slack to pull the cable ball end into the carb slot when the cables were in the retainer clip.

I almost had a heart attack when I bolted everything back together and turned the key to make sure all electrical was still working properly and the headlight wasn't on. After a few moments of cursing, I tried briefly hitting the starter button, and sure enough, headlight came right on. I had just assumed it would come on when just the key was turned.

I put in an order for the shims that Orex suggested with my local bike shop, so hopefully I'll have those early next week which is about the same time I'll be getting my tank back. I got the new LSL Flat Track Seat all bolted up too. Looks great! I'll definitely be posting some photos once it's all together.

I need to figure out how to clean up the electrical wiring from the handlebar controls now that it's just drooping there. I'll probably try to tuck it close to the frame and zip-tie it.

Thanks again for the tips folks!
  10. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Those bicycle shop shims look like the ones I used also. They're wide, wide enough that I only bought two sets and cut them in half, which was then enough for everything on the handlebars. Also, they're not visible at the ends of the clamps, which I think they might have been if not cut.

Thanks to all for the tire info. The Bridgestone S11 tires are rated as touring, with a long mileage life according to a few reviews. Wonder how the handling compares to the BT45?
  11. zwish

zwish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So my next step is going to be mini aftermarket turn-signals, tail light, and potentially shortened rear fender. I know lots of people swap out the turn signals and it seems like it would be a pretty easy job, just follow the wires and swap them out. Any weird things I should know about?

Also, does anyone have a photos of an aftermarket tail light they went with? I was thinking of this one:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...etro-satin-black-taillight-62-21512-sbpc.html
  12. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    The new rear turn signals will fit perfectly in the holes left when you remove the rear side reflectors. I got these aluminum cased turn signals with clear lenses. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c27662d5a&vxp=mtr They're double filament, so I hooked them up as rear running lights by splicing into the tail light wire. I painted the yellow bulbs red with nail polish and it looks pretty good.

I went with this style tail light in brushed alum. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAIL-LIGHT-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7516d8ba&vxp=mtr

I filled in the extra holes in the fender below the tail light with chrome bolts.

I can't post photos, but if you PM me with your email address, I can send you photos of my turn signals and vintage Brit style tail light on the bike.
  13. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    The July edition of Cycle World again has an editorial lamenting the fact that the US is not getting the W800. The editor, Mark Hoyer, notes that he tested the original W650 back in 2000 and found it to be "one of the most charming motorcycles I'd ever ridden". He goes on to say he wishes they had continued it here for another 10 years or so to develop the aftermarket that the Bonneville enjoys.

I couldn't agree with him more.
    Webman likes this.
  14. jkuben

jkuben n00b

Oddometer:
    Zwish, I can't add anything to this except to say I'll be interested to know how this works out for you. I have noticed some stress on my rear fender where the crack usually develops so need to get ahead of this. Would like the replacements to be as close to "plug n play" as possible.

Joe
  15. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    My W650 hauling garbage to the dump here in the mountains of Western North Carolina.

[​IMG]
    At the dump.
  16. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    Vince, nice use of your Dubya--I like it! Never thought of a bicycle trailer for light-duty use. Super idea. :clap

Bet it would drive Jon nuts! An even better reason to do it! :rofl:rofl:rofl
  17. ORexpat

Oddometer:

I've decided to leave the stock lights on--at least as long as I live in the DC metro area. I like the idea of that big tail light and the big turn signals being as obvious as possible. (Though the idiot cagers around here have even more cranial rectumitis than the norm. Had one oblivious one merge into me on the way to work this morning. I was watching her, and had room on my left so I tried blasting her with the horn on the RT--it's also got motolights on the front, bright as hell. Th bitch never knew I was there. Blithering idiot).

On the fender issue, there are a couple of posts in this thread on fender repair, fender replacement, and fender bracing so you don't have to worry about the cracks. When I find my post on the PMS, I'll edit and put it here.

Found it; post 826 on page 56. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17665211&postcount=826. There's also a post (mentioned in mine above) about removing the rear fender without removing the wheel. I did my fender at the same time I greased the swing arm bearings, previous page.
  18. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been towing it for five years here in WNC behind my long gone scooter, XT225, bobber, CT70 clone, and now my W with no problems. I did put BMX Kevlar tires and heavy duty tubes on it. Been up to 65MPH.

Disclaimer: Not recommending it to anyone. :rofl
  19. WikdBeemer

WikdBeemer Older but still riding

Oddometer:
    What is the quality like of that Lucas style tail light?
    I quite like the look of it but wonder if its better to get a real Lucas one?
  20. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I've had a similar one on my bike for 4K miles, it's fine. The one I have is a one piece casting in solid aluminum. I changed the bulb to an LED type that flashes rapidly for a few seconds before going solid red.

Seriously, are you perhaps thinking something might not be up to Lucas "quality"? :lol3