1. eNewsletter Sign Up

New to Oman

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by JBanar, Aug 6, 2012.

1. fishernz

fishernz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I need some info on storing my bike in Dubai or Oman for 4 or 5 months.

I'm riding from Aussie to UK on a wee Yamaha TTR250. I'm currently in India and with winter fast approaching Europe I don't think I'll make it plus my bank balance is getting rather low. So I'd like to store it somewhere, head home and work, then come back around March/April and continue to Europe.

I have a Carnet for the bike. Does anyone know what the rules are for leaving a bike on a Carnet in Dubai or Oman? Can it be done?

And also, can anyone recommend an affordable place to store my bike? Anyone got a big garage?

Thanks

Mark

fishernz@gmail.com
  2. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

any of you planning rides during the upcoming long Eid holidays suspected to be from 3rd to 6th Oct ?

cheers
  3. JamieInMuscat

JamieInMuscat Ready to Race

Oddometer:
    Hello, I'm new here. Recently arrived in Muscat and interested in riding out on bikes (or Jeeps if anyone is into that) or just a meet. :freaky

Could use some advice on insuring and registering my bike which I've imported from UK.

Regards,
    Jamie
  4. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Well a year on and I've gone through a TW200, GSA1200 and now have a KLR650 and a Ducati Multistrada. Made some great friends and taken some amazing rides on and off-road.

My time is now short. I finish my project on the 30th and then it's off to Riyadh.

If you'd like to hook up with our diverse riding group, drop me a message on whatsapp and I'll add you in (Nine Five Nine Zero One Six Eight Six)

We called the group "The Slippery Twats" after an unfortunate incident with 2 Ducati's and a slick wadi crossing :rofl
  5. Gornzilla

Gornzilla Registered Slob

Oddometer:
    I've been here less than 2 months. I don't have a bike here. Not sure if I'll get one because I'm still making payments on a '47 Velocette MAC 350 I bought in the US right before I came here. I'm up in Rustaq.

Maybe I'll get something small and learn how to do trials riding.

-Dave
  6. stuza

stuza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!

so a bunch of us have a WhatsApp channel that everyone is welcome to join. We generally go out most weekends, sometimes twice, and explore the graded roads/tracks of Muscat and Oman.

PM myself, Muddy Soles or Jamie for more info :thumb

(just for reference, we've got bikes like KLRs, BMW 1200/800's, KTM 950/990/1190 and Super Tenere)
  7. WorldTravelerX

WorldTravelerX n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in the US and looking at how to use 3 weeks of vacation before year end.

It looks like renting a bike for 7 to 10 days in mid-December in Oman might be fun.

Anyone have any super compelling reasons why I should do this, or should NOT do this? I've traveled a fair amount overseas, but I have never rented a bike overseas. I have taken two week long bike trips in the USA.

Also, is anyone looking for a travel companion for a week or so? I'm not super keen on off-road riding, more just riding around and seeing sights and camping out a few nights. I don't want to go all "Long Way Round" and get stuck in the worst roads in Russia.

And the Internet says that these guys are the only source of motorcycle rentals in Oman. http://rentmotorcycleoman.com/ Has anyone had dealings with them?

Or does anyone want to work out a motorcycle swap? I have a 2002 Triumph Sprint RS in Dallas, TX that I can swap.
  8. stuza

stuza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi!

Yes, that's Hamood and comes out with us occasionally at the weekends, very nice guy and very helpful. You are limited with choice out here as not many companies survive in the motorcycle trade (due to very limited business) but Hamood's a good guy, email him.

Oman seems to be by far and away the best place (out of Qatar, UAE, Saudi and Oman) the best place for touring. It's a very large country (although not as big as the US!) and has some fantastic scenery. Well worth a visit! When we say "off-road" we generally mean graded roads and, whilst it's not essential here in Oman, you will miss out on some awesome scenery.

There are a few guys in our group that like camping and might well be up for a tour. PM the guys I mentioned above.
  9. Mahsita

Mahsita n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I am traveling on my motorcycle in Ethiopia and originally I was planning to take a boat from Djibouti to Yemen and then ride through Yemen, Oman, Dubai, then a ferry to Iran.... But I was rejected the Yemeni visa and now need to find a fast alternative. I was thinking of getting a transit visa through Saudi but considering that I am a female solo rider;) the chances are not to high that I´ll be given any visa. So now I was sussgested to ship the bike from Djibouti to Oman. Do you know any ferries or alternatively a cargo ship from there? Any contact infromation, price, dates, procedures.....?

To be honest, I don't want to end up spending too much money either as I already spent a lot on sending my bike by air form Madrid to Addis and it cost a fortune. But Ethiopia is worth it.

Brennan, I see that at the end you skipped Iran. Such a shame. Where about are you now?

Thanks a lot,
    Mahsa

planing
  10. Alex200

Alex200 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

I will be in Muscat in a couple weeks, and am bringing my BMW 1150GS. Any idea if I can get it insured? It's on plates from the Netherlands and I will only be there for a couple days.

If it turns out not to be possible, any tips for rentals/tours around Muscat?

Cheers,
    Alex
  11. phoenixdoglover

phoenixdoglover Where to next?

Oddometer:
    I have been in Muscat for 4 years. I imported 2 bikes from the US, and 1 from the UAE.

But I have to ask, how will you get your GS into Oman? Normally, you would either import it, or ride it in from the UAE.

If you are importing it from any country outside the "GCC", than a 5% duty will be payable, the import process will take a few days, and you still must insure and register the bike with the Royal Oman Police (ROP).

If you are riding it in, you must be coming from UAE, and your bike must be legal to ride in UAE. You must also have short term insurance for Oman.

I don't think it is possible to just get permission to use an EU registered bike. Put it another way, the only plates you will see on cars or bikes here is local (Oman) or GCC (most commonly, Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Sharjah).

Maybe there is a way to do this that I am not aware of; so I would be delighted to be contradicted by some other contributor.

On the other hand, you might reach out to the Harley Davidson dealer or the Royal Enfield Dealer here in Muscat. Both of them might hook you up with a short term rental. You wont get a GS, but you might get something with 2 wheels. :D
  12. stuza

stuza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure on the insurance thing, I suspect that Dog Lover is correct. However, with regards to the rental thing:

http://rentmotorcycleoman.com/

Also, what dates you here? The Dubai Touratech bunch are going to be here in a couple of weeks and we're all meeting at the Oman Dive Centre and then probably exploring some routes... expect a LOT of BMW 1200s! :rofl

You'll know me, i'm on the only KTM 1200 Adv R in the country (that i'm aware of) so i'll stick out like a sore thumb hehehe
  13. Alex200

Alex200 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll come in on a ship, so I may be able to avoid customs alltogether. (I hope so). If I'm not able to have my bike properly insured, that sucks. I hope the plates won't stand out too much, dutch plates are black on a yellow back, aren't Omani plates like that too? It's still on street tires though...

Dates are TBC, but end of februari is my best guess. Would be awesome to hook up with you guys, so I'll let you know!
  14. muddysoles

muddysoles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes they are. And the Royal Omani Police (ROP) very rarely bother about motorcyclists. If you are registering the bike, then you WILL need a customs clearance for the ROP to issue Omani plates.
  15. muddysoles

muddysoles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's when he his not riding. When he is, you will be busy helping him up :D
  16. stuza

stuza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm quite skilled at falling off in dirt. Tell me Muddy, taken your road stabilisers off yet?

(did the "old yiti" road last weekend. Everyone else went before me AND I wasn't even on the bike or had the engine started when they left!!! Guess who "won" :rofl)
  17. stuza

stuza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    End of Feb would be ideal. The Dubai Touratech guys are all staying at Oman Dive Centre (Google it) that last weekend (26,27 and 28) so should be a few different rides to go on. Sure there will be some highly technical/hard Salmeh Plateau type stuff or, simple dirt roads like Trans Hajar for people like me:evil

And of course food and beer later ;)
  18. Alex200

Alex200 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've sent you a PM :)
  19. ThammasatXT

ThammasatXT n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there!

For the past two years I have been riding a bike around Asia and Africa. After riding my XT 125 down through West and Central Africa I'm now headed back up the east coast. From Uganda I'll continue through Kenya and Ethiopia to Djibouti from where I'd like to find a boat to Oman.

One post on page three mentions jocsailings.com. Apparently there are frequent ships from Djibouti to Oman; all of them cargo ships, though. Have you heard of any travellers managing to get on board recently? My bike is pretty small so I wouldn't take up too much space.

Would you have any other idea on how to get to Oman from Djibouti? I'd really love to visit Oman but it just seems a little uncertain... Yemen might be easier to get to but then it's not too stable and I might face troubles getting all the permits necessary to cross the country.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot and best wishes,
    Steven