New to South Florida (Miramar/Hollywood)

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Arclite, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Arclite

Arclite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What up South FL inmates! I'm a transplant from San Diego area in the Miramar/Hollywood area, with an XR650R; need to know where to ride!

I heard about Lost Lakes near/in Hialeah, want to confirm before I go traipsing about.

Looking for standard ADV/OHV/ off-road area or any trails that are fun.

I need to exercise my XR ASAP.

Thanks
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Plated?
  3. Undercover Poe

Undercover Poe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think your xr is street
    Legal and even if it was there is no riding in your area. Go home!
  4. beaterktm

beaterktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Id rather get kicked in the balls everyday then live in broward.
    King_Kong and Stromtrooper246 like this.
  5. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! Such a welcome!!! And a tropical storm to boot!
  6. Undercover Poe

Oddometer:
    You probably best just go jump over a school bus
  7. Arclite

Arclite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes - my XR is plated.

Guess I better get a cup...
  8. Undercover Poe

Oddometer:
    You will know how to relax with that honda. Cooper style
  9. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Go north my friend...Very north. No real trail riding down here. Closest thing is double track on the west coast.
  10. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Welcome to dirtbike hell. Get a trailer, they don't make enough knobbies to ride out of south florida:D
  11. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately you are in dirt bike hell down there.

I (we) are in the panhandle area and far enough north to have some dirt not all sandy straight roads.
    Come join us for our Turkey Trot to get into some real two track without sand and water.
    Check out our Pensacola Area Riders or Turkey Trot 7 for more info.

Good luck down there.
  12. beaterktm

beaterktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The nearest Offroad is about an hr north of you. Where I live loxahatchee. I posted a couple go pro vids in the SE Florida rides thread. I spent a few yrs on the west coast when was in the navy. Rode almost everyday in the Seattle area for about 6 months. Made many useless attempts to get laid in San Diego.
    mandatedmotorvation likes this.
  13. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    Greatest country in the world, TX (DFW area)
    The closest off-road you can probably reach from Hollywood is the Miami Canal. Everything else is basically an hour away in any direction.
  14. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All jokes aside, best riding is to the north, but its all sand, nasty ugly shitty friggin sugar sand. Sand like no other sand. I hate it, but its still a place to ride. Closer to Hollywood you have Miami Canal road, The Holeyland Water Consevation Area, Janes Scenic Drive, The Squares and Sabal Palm road. Like Ginger Beard said those are all on the west coast. Down here in Homestead there is some trails to ride but nothing exciting, mostly mud and rock, but its not on pavement so it will do. I like to get down by Everglades national park entrance and then work my way north riding canal roads, farm trails and farm roads connecting the fields. Again, not real exciting, but its something to ride that is not pavement. South of Homestead Motorspeeedway there is a whole system of trails that are actually plotted streets that were never built. Lots of four wheelers run around out there so it can get pretty chewed up and if its been raining it can get ugly deep in mud and water. Again, not exciting but not pavement. I have a DR650 and R1200GSA, don't ride as much as I would like and most times its last minute decision to ride. I know my way around fairly well at the places mentioned, at least enough to get there and then get lost exploring. Better riding weather will get here in October, less rain and less heat/humidity.
  15. Arclite

Arclite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks FLARider1 and the rest that have responded. The above will help me get out and about.

The few weeks I've been here have made me feel like getting rid of my F800GS was a bad move, but then again it's so friggin hot/humid, I can't really imagine putting gear on to ride far and/or in an aggressive manner.

These guys seem to have it figured out for down here; if I see them I'll have to chase them down.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIcBAdpQLKBNohYNvu8kYA6yagDRzkl4V
  16. Undercover Poe

Oddometer:
    Bad link?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  17. Josh Leyburn

Josh Leyburn Shepherd of Cats

Oddometer:
    As someone who actually lives in Broward, and used to live in Hollywood its not actually that bad. Although it can seem that way at times.:bluduh

Welcome to South Florida, with all this rain most of the off road areas are probably flooded out, they will dry out during the winter, that's the best time to ride here anyway. If you like riding sand there is ample opportunity. Unfortunately you do have to travel away from the cities to find it. Gravel/hardpack is easy to find, as another poster said go any direction. I am planning on making a run to the squares within the next week or two, you are welcome to join.
  18. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out Davie, FL, there are rednecks there. Horse trails and an old style saloon where you can tie your horse up outside. Uncle Al's Sports Bar is still there, his chicken wings were second to none in that area back in the 80s.
  19. King156

King156 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll notice that even the motorcycle cops here are wearing short sleeve shirts while racing down I-95. Road rash on arms vs. heat rash on balls...not sure which is worse.

I've live in Broward too, but I have to disagree.

In Palm Beach such as Lox., Jupiter Farms, the Acreage, you can get away with riding dirt bikes/ATVs/golf carts/go-carts/mowers/etc. locally (although you might have an occasional "warning") & there are trails within reasonable distance...try riding a dirtbike in a neighborhood in Ft. Laud. & half of your neighbors will be calling the cops.
  20. King156

King156 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just saw a guy named "Rob the Rattlesnake" in Hollywood on YouTube. I think he has a WR250, but he just shared a video of some local guys riding in the mud....maybe you can contact him/them & see what's going on.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR6EaPaHdi4XL5V8-ahaakg