New to sydney - info wanted

Discussion in 'Australia' started by motomartin, May 19, 2004.

1. motomartin

motomartin Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,
    I've just landed in sydney - 4 weeks ago - from www.UKGSER.com , mainly.
    I've got hold of an Bmw 1100 GS - just need places to go and where to buy stuff.

I've managed to find Procycles ok.
    Went to the Sydney bike show - bit small wasn't it ?

Who are you mail order people over here - to get 'stuff' from ?
    Who stocks GPS mounting hardware around here ?
    Where's the best bike shops ?

Any good places i should get to nearby ? - apart from the obvious.

Look forward to your replies

Phil
  2. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Try motohansa -
    http://www.motohansa.com.au/
    Unit 4/117 Punchbowl Rd, Belfield
    NSW 2190 Australia
    Ph 02 9759 5274

mail/web order - motobins... just like home ehh.

Places to go..?

Wisemans Ferry.. very crowed on a Sun. Watch th ecops at Wollimbi .. some one died so the y are taking an intrest!

Join Syd bm club
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/PENNYKID/

Join email group - OZ wide.
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/rto/ozhome.htm

And take holidays in Aug for the OCR! and November if you have money for the Safari in Tasie. See the other threads on these.
  3. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Hi Welcome to Sydney, I look forward to catching up on a ride. The Sydney show may be small by OS standards but it's the biggest bike show we've had in Oz.

Another club worth looking at for rides is http://www.clubman.org.au

If you want a chat about anything give me a call on 9311-1119 or 04254 309 975

Greg
  4. Burren Rider

Burren Rider Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The GPS Oz website lists a fair bit of stuff and they are located in Sydney as far as I know.
  5. a_k_nicholls

a_k_nicholls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Phil welcome to Sydney :thumb

Are you just here on a visit or something a bit more permanent, There is lots of good places to go around Sydney, Just depends on how much of a tourist you want to be. Im sure we can aim you in the right direction.

You can give these guys a go for mail order stuff too http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.au/

Enjoy your stay :freaky
  6. smiffy

smiffy ..master of none.

Oddometer:
    G'day Phil,
    MCA (3 shops) have some good deals on gear. For a great ride, try the Mittagong to Wombeyan Caves road, then shoot up to the Blue Mountains via Oberon, and back to Sydney. Great dirt, good bitumen, great scenery.
    A few of us are heading up to Walcha this weekend, to stay in the pub :freaky - all bitumen unfortunately, due to the fact the others can't see the light and buy dual purpose bikes. Bummer.
    Cheers,
    Smiffy
  7. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Should not forget MAW... lot better to park at than any of the MAC shops!
    Any you don't have to frigg around wiht a deposit on a tyre order .. just ring up and order it .. MAC want a money before ordering. Anit been back since that happened.

MAW - http://www.maw.com.au/
    Unit 14 8 Victoria Rd Castle Hill
  8. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Melbourne Motorcycle show in it's current format has been running for about 7 years now. It's far bigger than the Sydney one, but neither is a patch on what the Europeans and the English call a bike show.

There are only 20 million people in the whole country and a few tourists. With most of the population living on the East coast it really does show how empty it is.

Another way of looking at it is BMW dealers. Currently, if you live in Melbourne and head west the next BMW dealers are in Darwin or Perth. Sort of 3,000 kilometres, give or take, to either one, so you see it's a different kind of world to the one you've lived in.

I purchase a lot of my stuff direct from Germany or the USA, it's quicker and cheaper than waiting for the local importer to order stuff and eventually getting it in.

To put it into perspective four years ago, I ordered a Touratech tank bag from a local importer in January, I received it in June. Inbetween I had ordered a 41 litre tank and then decided to order panniers as well on another order. These all came direct before the local people filled my order. The local supplier quoted me $2,800 for the 41 litre tank and a six month wait. I ordered it direct and got it for $1,400 plus $150 freight and taxes and had it in 3½ weeks at my door.

I have nothing against a business making money, but there is a limit!

Mick.
  9. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    I use the credit card. But only by fax and only to firms that have had several endorsments .. preferably by people in good regard. Any of the well known brands/shops should be ok. If you make it a credit card be aware of the fees they charge.
  10. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ray, I usually do all of the enquiries via email and then either telephone or fax the credit card details and what have you.

I will not just enter my details willy nilly into any old website. Having my own website with it's own secure, locked page is an insight into just how much encryption and security measures are utilised for online ordering.

Just recently I had to use Paypal to order a Marc Parnes wheel balancing kit. I ordered it two Fridays ago and I received an email on the following Sunday that it would be shipped on the Monday. Today 7 days later on a Monday, the wheel balancer arrived, I'm happy and will be balancing the wheels on the weekend.

Mick.
  11. jackafrica

jackafrica sinking low in the saddle

Oddometer:
    I'm like Mick Fagan on the ordering caper. Usually give credit card details by phone to reputable companies who ship quickly.
    Plenty of experience, no real bad ones fortunately.
    Maybe this should be the start of another thread,what say you blokes ?
  12. motomartin

motomartin Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

thanks for all the info - i'm just gettin' my head around things now - slowly.

I still have my UK credit card - visa and order stuff from the UK on it.
    Ive still got a postal re-direction active, so i only pay uk rates - up to 2kgs max.

When that runs out, i'll try and decide if its worth renewing the redirection for less than the cost of stuff over here.

If theres anything you want from Europe, i'd be willing to try and help you out.

PS - UK banks don't charge a penny for ANYTHING !! and UK credit cards all offer 0% credit on balance transfers for 9 months currently

sure is different over here with banking.

Credit card transactions are 99% safe on the phone in Europe, plus the card co. cover insure against any misdemeanours.
    Restaurants are the worse place for fraud.

Phil