New Tom Tom 550 Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ShineySideUp, Jun 25, 2018.

1. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty good. Have you had any opportunity to deal with Tom Tom’s customer service? I don’t think you can find any worse than Garmin’s but it would be nice to know if they are responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've not dealt with TT customer service. I did find a TT forum online, not run by TT, that has provided helpful advice in the past.
  4. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I would love to know for sure. I’m probably going to have to replace my Garmin due to their latest software update screwing up my 665. So in true me fashion I will most likely avoid that company like the plague from now on. They have been unresponsive to my attempt to contact them so far and that’s pretty darn unacceptable. If TT is a better company with a semi-comparable product I will happily switch.

CROSSBOLT likes this.
  5. firemanonabike

firemanonabike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had several Tom Toms for business use. I have purchased about 15 over the last 10 years. To date, they have batted 100% , ignoring my questions each and every time
    olefartRich likes this.
  6. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was following along to see where things went. :) and remaining stealth.

I have a 550 but it’s a pre release unit. I like it a lot. Need to find out if I can share more about it.

I’d youre in usa, customer support was out of buffalo NY. I don’t think that changed. So at least it’s americans on the phone when you call.
    Jarlaxle, ShineySideUp and Plawa like this.
  8. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Well I have just been through the wringer with Garmin. I am well burned. So I guess I’m going to give it a try as soon as I can save up some money for it.

9. mikecarpenter

mikecarpenter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one ordered from TT. Amazon was a few bucks cheaper but out of stock. I've always like TT better than Garmin for automobiles. I previously had a Montana that worked well but I never figured out all its functions.
    Dewtwo and AdamChandler like this.
  10. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of wireless updates and the resolution looks to be a little better than the competition.

11. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Well, I ordered one this afternoon, will update with my fabulous opinions when I get it and play with it a bit. Also ordered the handy dandy sunshade with it. In the process of figuring out just how the hell im going to mount all this ram mount goodstuff to my old RT now haha. I can foresee an accessory shelf in my near future.

CROSSBOLT and bozmotodual16 like this.
  12. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ I am looking forward to your thoughts after you install and ride. The TT is on my short list for an upgrade for my V Strom.
  13. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Be careful what you wish for haha. One thing already though, I got on TomTom’s website earlier, made an account and played with their online trip planning. It was really easy to use (unlike basecamp) and looks like it will directly upload the routes to the 550 (more on that after I actually try it). The only thing I didn’t like was the low mileage restrictions on “thrilling riding” settings. It caps out at 330 miles. However on a long ride with Garmin I would have to break it out most of the time too, and it didn’t have thrilling riding options haha.

14. mikecarpenter

mikecarpenter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    dammit, I didn't see the sunshade option!!!
  15. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Well, sadly the outfit that I originally ordered the GPS from emailed me this morning and said that both the GPS and sunshade were on backorder and that they did not have a good date for being back in stock. I cancelled my order with them and ordered one from Chromeburner in the Netherlands, who did not have a sunshade as an option. They were about $30 cheaper than this other outfit, so no harm no foul. Now waiting to see how the Netherlands postal service does on shipping. I did find this:

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/glare-shield-tomtom-rider-550-450-410-400-42-40-21071-002-1.html

Which is probably what I’m going to do instead. I like it not using Velcro to hold it on and most stuff I’ve seen from Wunderlich has been pretty good quality. I was even thinking of ordering a sheet of black ABS plastic and using my heat gun to make one, not very hard either. But for no more than that costs from Wunderlich I will save myself the work.

16. mikecarpenter

mikecarpenter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI since you’re in Dallas. I ordered mine direct from TomTom. It shipped from Ft. Worth and arrived Oklahoma next day
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Probably what I should have done, but Chromeburner has it for $370 vs $399.99 and being a cheap so and so, but patient, I figured I could wait on shipping from Holland haha. I need to obtain an accessory shelf to fit my bike anyway, which I can’t do until this coming Thursday (per my CFO), so no big hurry. I had my crap Garmin mounted with a ztechnik between the handlebars mount, which just had a flat mounting base for the zumo base on it, I have always hated that mounting location, so I figured i would put it above the dash in my line of view and see how I liked it. Found one on fleabay for $27 plus shipping, so I will probably grab one of those and try it.

18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    yep. without any inside knowledge (despite being an employee), everything I order from our web-store gets shipped from TX. Guess fulfillment is there. If you're in the south, it's pretty fast to your door. probably overnight.
  19. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Do you know if TomTom has a factory sunscreen by any chance? I’ve been looking around more and wish I could find one that would shade for both landscape and vertical use, but it looks like you have a choice of one or the other.

20. AdamChandler

Oddometer: