New Tom Tom 550 Rider

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by ShineySideUp, Jun 25, 2018.

1. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    I took mine out for a whirl last night for the first time, and I'm quite impressed. It took me a minute to figure out that it was alerting me to the red light .... er, I mean... "Safety" cameras.

Are the camera updates included for life, just like the map updates?
  2. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    They are not.
  3. AlfromNH

AlfromNH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ordered one of these and I'm reading the manual. It shows 2 ways to connect it to a headset and phone, if your headset can only connect to one BT device(a limitation of mine).

Basically, if you connect the 550 to the headset first, you can't use the phone thru the headset, but you can hear the 550. If you connect the 550 to the phone first, you can make & receive calls, but can't hear the 550.

So if I can't live with this limitation, do the entry-level Senas and Cardos allow you to connect to 2 devices simultaneously?
    Traxx likes this.
  4. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been able to connect a Sena 20s with the 550? I can get the gps to see the headset and indicate it is pairing but it times out and the headset stops being discoverable. Frustrating!

Figured it out. I have to turn the phone on first, then the headset and let them pair, during this the 550 must be off. Then turn on the 550 and let it pair with the phone. Then pair the 550 with the headset using the gps pairing instructions in the Sena manual. I think my primary issue was that I was leaving the 550 on and it was pairing before the headset. I can’t wait for the snow and salt to go away and get out and use the 550. It does look like a solid device.
  5. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Bluetooth is supposed to work seamlessly.
    When it doesn't, it's like pulling teeth!
    But unlike the dentists, one can just reset/delete everything
    and start over :)
    In fact, I mentioned earlier that I operate my TT550 "standalone"
    to make it easy to 'reset' the unit at will and not worry about $hits.
    So far, it's been working like butter on toast.
    NewEnglander likes this.
  6. AlfromNH

Oddometer:
    I got my 550 last night. Put it on a charge over night, and today turned it on. I’m on call this weekend, so can’t go anywhere, but I turned it on and left it on full screen brightness. After 7.5 hours the battery icon went red, after 9.5 hours the unit shut down because of battery depletion. WiFi and gps radios were on, but not doing actual navigation. Still, that seems like pretty impressive battery life.
    Jarlaxle, DCTFAN and CROSSBOLT like this.
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup! My experience is that it’ll do a full day of riding without charging, as long as you can turn the screen off in between turns (eg: blitzing down highways).
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  8. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may have missed the effectiveness of the "sunscreen" option but find that it is disappointing this device even needs one considering its intended application.
  9. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Rats. At least they aren't expensive.

I have to play around with my setup a bit. I had it in the car the other day, and it got traffic updates from my phone perfectly. When connected to the headset (Cardo Packtalk with v4.2 firmware) it didn't seem to get traffic updates. I'm not sure if that's because the Tomtom is connected to the headset, or if the iPhone is conected to the headset and can't get data to the Tomtom as a result?
  10. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m using a Packtalk Bold + iPhone, and I get traffic updates. iPhone and gps BTed to Cardo.
    ommoran likes this.
  11. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was also testing my 550 in the car Thursday this week. The screen showed the blue triangle showing my direction, my MPH, and the other items but no map. I thought what?? I went into settings and maps and found the map for Oceana was selected not North America. Switched maps and voila all is good :beer
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  12. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same thing here. Now I have the problem where it shows a Bluetooth connection from the phone to the 550 is there but it can’t seem to get the data for traffic . In the main Bluetooth menu on the 550 it lists the phone as connected but if you tap the upper right group on the main screen where it lists the WiFi, MyDrive, Bluetooth and traffic icons it shows Bluetooth not connected. I think that may mean my Sena headset is not connected but who knows. It shows traffic is connected on this menu but not in the main Bluetooth page also. That may be because at home it is receiving it through the WiFi not the Bluetooth. Very confusing.
  13. ommoran

Oddometer:
    I was farting around with mine today. Will have to try it again tomorrow, but I think the thing is that most of my experimenting has been done when I'm also on home wifi. I'll have to see.
  14. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Is your phone set up as a hotspot? If it isn’t then the traffic won’t work.
  15. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Really? I have to turn on the hotspot every time I want traffic updates? That's disappointing to me...
    NewEnglander likes this.
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How else do you think it's supposed to get data? It's connected via BT to your phone to pull data from TomTom's provider for traffic updates.

I run my iPhone with non-discoverable hotspot mode all the time, and once I'd set up the BT connection between the two traffic updates happened without me noticing.
  17. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    That’s the main reason I never have used the traffic stuff. I have an unlimited plan on my phone and AT&T disables the ability to use it as a hotspot. Unless I wanted to pay more for my already overpriced service.
  18. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Perhaps I was naive to think that connecting to the phone via bluetooth would have given it the data access it requires. I will keep experimenting...
  19. AlfromNH

Oddometer:
    I can't find a support portal for the mydrive website.:dunno

I've created this route, but I want to turn around at 2 and head back to 3, NOT make a loop. Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks

hmmm... occurred to me this may not be the thread to ask this, apologies for the hijack :muutt
    Day trip.JPG
  20. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:

Try that. Very helpful video.
    Vrode likes this.